Rockliffe Hall
The Coachman Hotel(Darlington)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
2,791 results
All reviewsgolf coursecocktail barspa facilitiesafternoon teafirst classamazing spagolf clubfive star hotelon arrivalout of this worldspa experiencemood lightingbirthday treatdressing areastar servicespecial occasionwhole experience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We have just enjoyed a one night stay at rockliffe hall with 3 other couples. We had booked a golf break & stayed in tiplady lodge, the deal included a 2 course dinner in the clubhouse as well as breakfast, a round of golf for the gents & use of the spa for us all. All members of staff were friendly & happy to help throughout. The rooms In tiplady were fabulous, more like a suite as they were seperated into lounge & bedroom areas & had a lovely view over to the hall. It was only a minutes walk to the hall & the staff happily ferried us up & down to the clubhouse in a courtesy vehicle. The only slight & it is slight downside is the spa being quite busy & there not being any spare loungers, but this didn't detract from an overall fabulous experience.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had a lovely time in the Orangery having afternoon tea. We love going out for coffee and cake but this was our first afternoon tea experience. Quite simply, it couldn’t have been better! The atmosphere was wonderful and the staff were extremely polite, pleasant and helpful. The food was presented very nicely and tasted delicious - lots of gorgeous little cakes, scones and a wonderful passion fruit mousse/cheescake in a gorgeous little cup and the finger sandwiches, especially the cucumber and horseradish marscapone, were lovely. Loved the slate presentation platters and the way the waiter explained what everything was. The Orangery is a delightful place to be and we were very fortunate to have a window seat with the sun streaming in. Very relaxing.

This visit was a gift for us which we were very pleased about but we will definitely be back and are looking forward to it already.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here quite a few times. Mainly because the spa is so good. Stayed in a tip lady room which is a bit of a Hassle having to walk outside to spa in dressing gown etc. Main rooms r better. Didn't eat in the restaurants as previously not been a big fan of them. Ate in clubhouse for my birthday last year n it was terrible. Service was appalling and food was cold. We were told they were having problems with new chef or something. We did however go out to eat and otter and fish in the village which is well recommended. On the second day we ordered room service which was just ok. The breakfast however is really good. Only point I would make is that the only offer orange juice as a cold drink and u have to wait for them to give it to u rather than help yourself.

Room was freezing when we and in which was not a great welcome. Windows wide open n no heating on.

On the first night we had a turn down service. On previous stays we have had a free turn down gift but not this time (in any other 5 star hotels we have always getting this too). The second night someone came to do a turn down but I was still in the room I said I was going out in a few minutes so she said she would come back. A few hours later she still hadn't come back so I rang down. She then turned up and asked what we wanted (she give is some more biscuits and milk and his has not been replaced in the day and had to ask for it) but she didn't do a turn down. Has lost patience for asking by then.

The exercise classes are good but not as good as I was expecting. My lower back hurt afterwards as nobody was coming round go check I was doing it right which u would expect at that sort of level.

Sounds like I am complaining but it is a lovely place but as I say more 5 star facilities rather than service and food. I think over the years they have put the prices up more but u actually get less for your money. another point to note on this is as a leaving gift u used to get a bag with a bottle of water, apple and green and blacks choc but now u just get the water.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We recently attended Rockcliffe Hall to celebrate my friends 50th Birthday by having afternoon tea in a private room. There was over 19 of us. After being fortunate to have been on a few occasions previously I can say that again the service and food was excellent. A few of us needed special dietary needs but this was accomodated with no issues. I would highly recommend this as a venue for a special occasion.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Fantastic food, beautiful bedroom and the spa was brilliant. Although it is 5 star the alcoholic drinks were very very expensive. Had to send 2 pints of lager (the head barman tasted and agreed) and 1 pint of Black sheep back as they were off. Mixed sea food starter for 2 in the brasserie was exceptional and only £10.50.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple