“Disappointing”
Review of Rockliffe Hall

Rockliffe Hall
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and I have just spent a Saturday night at the hotel (Rm118).

In general I would like to say the hotel is very nice and beautifully appointed with an excellent spa. All of the staff were wonderful.
We stayed at the hotel last December and we had the taster menu which had several excellent dishes on it so this time we were looking forward to a first rate meal from the normal restaurant menu, how disappointed we were.

We ordered a bottle of Beaujolais to accompany our meal. The wine was excellent, unfortunately as we waited almost one hour for our starters we had finished the first bottle of wine. I do not understand how it takes almost an hour to sear 4 scallops and a piece of lobster meat.

Onto the main course. I had duck and my wife pigeon. The cutlery that should have been supplied was a chainsaw. Both dishes were tough and lacked any kind of flavour or taste. This was one of the most disapointing meals my wife and I have tasted, that is until breakfast.

During our last stay the english breakfast was first rate, oh how that has changed. Half a mushroom, egg shells on my wife's poached eggs and dried up shrivelled piece of black pudding. As the two pieces of shell on my wife’s eggs were quite large it should never have left the pass. When the egg shells were pointed out to the waitress I was fully expecting the plate to be whipped away and a new breakfast prepared, but no all we got was a cursory “sorry” and she walked off.

All in all the food is well below the expected standard from such an establishment.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Urwinrom
There are newer reviews for Rockliffe Hall

Reviewed 5 April 2014

WOW !!

What a day , we attended our Son's wedding on the 29th March and we had such a fantastic day i didnt want it to end , the day was so well organised by the whole staff it really made it special, you should be very proud of your outstanding staff , i would recommend this beautiful hotel to anyone .

Thank you Rockcliffe Hall for making Sophie and Neil Ackroyd's day a special one .

Room Tip: All the rooms are great we had 10
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2014

From the moment we arrived my Mam and i were greeted by friendly hotel staff, helping us to feel relaxed, browse around the grounds at our leisure and lap up the pure luxury around us.
Our Afternoon Tea was scrumptious, we enjoyed every little morsel as we sat in the Orangery, overlooking the beautiful grounds, we felt very comfortable, relaxed and well looked after.
We finished off with a glass of rose wine from the bar, a totally enjoyable experience, we will definately be back, many thanks for making our afternoon truly special.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I visited Rockliffe Hall with my Mum and sister for a pre wedding pamper session including lunch.
The staff at reception, waiters and therapists were all friendly without being "matey" and extremely helpful.
The spa facilities are fabulous, and take the Rockliffe into another level in comparison to other luxury hotel spa's I have visited. We also liked that none of the therapists tried to hard sell the [products they had used during the treatment
Lunch was delicious and the puddings decadent enough to make you feel spoilt after such a healthy main course! Almost wish I had ordered the cheese board though, as it looked amazing.
Would make a plan to visit and stay the next time I return to the North Eas.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We had a beautiful Mother's Day Afternoon tea. The setting was fantastic with a live singer outside the orangery. Service was excellent and food was delicious. Also very welcoming of a breast feeding mum.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Top-notch hotel, luxurious, fantastic rooms, great spa. A little pricey. Tip - when ordering a glass of wine, ask for the house wine. If you don't, they give you an expensive one without even asking, at around £15 !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TonyHFG
Reviewed 30 March 2014

this was a birthday treat. It is easily the most indulgent weekend away we've had. the concierge met us, parked our car and delivered our bags to the room (so glad we packed our stuff in a suitcase as it's usually in Tesco carrier bags) The staff were all attentive. The food was fantastic. The spa treatments were so relaxing. The spa had so many pool and sauna options. (not sure I liked the igloo which is a freezing version of a sauna. Each to there own! )Breakfast was lovely. We have eaten and relaxed and felt pampered. it has been such a lovely weekend. I cannot fault this hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurworth-on-Tees
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Redworth
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#8 of 21 in Darlington

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!