My wife and I have just spent a Saturday night at the hotel (Rm118).
In general I would like to say the hotel is very nice and beautifully appointed with an excellent spa. All of the staff were wonderful.
We stayed at the hotel last December and we had the taster menu which had several excellent dishes on it so this time we were looking forward to a first rate meal from the normal restaurant menu, how disappointed we were.
We ordered a bottle of Beaujolais to accompany our meal. The wine was excellent, unfortunately as we waited almost one hour for our starters we had finished the first bottle of wine. I do not understand how it takes almost an hour to sear 4 scallops and a piece of lobster meat.
Onto the main course. I had duck and my wife pigeon. The cutlery that should have been supplied was a chainsaw. Both dishes were tough and lacked any kind of flavour or taste. This was one of the most disapointing meals my wife and I have tasted, that is until breakfast.
During our last stay the english breakfast was first rate, oh how that has changed. Half a mushroom, egg shells on my wife's poached eggs and dried up shrivelled piece of black pudding. As the two pieces of shell on my wife’s eggs were quite large it should never have left the pass. When the egg shells were pointed out to the waitress I was fully expecting the plate to be whipped away and a new breakfast prepared, but no all we got was a cursory “sorry” and she walked off.
All in all the food is well below the expected standard from such an establishment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rockliffe Hall is the only five red star hotel in the North of England. Set on a magnificent 18th century estate on the banks of the River Tees, Rockliffe Hall is a destination in itself. Rockliffe Hall's world-class spa and golf course, well-equipped meeting rooms, three restaurants and sublime service ensure it is the perfect place to escape and relax, to do business, and to create memories that will linger on. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Rockliffe Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rockliffe Hall Hotel Hurworth-On-Tees
- Rockliffe Hall Darlington/Hurworth-On-Tees