“Spa day exceptional experience”
Review of Rockliffe Hall

Rockliffe Hall
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was my third visit to the spa and it did not disappoint. The facilities are excellent, the customer service second to none and the food delicious. The best spa I have ever been to in this country

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Rockliffe Hall

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Just come back from a fab afternoon here with the girls from work . Ive been here several times for afternoon tea but I thought this time it deserved a review . Although the cakes/scones are always amazing it was nice this time to get a cheese scone (for more savory) , last time we got a sausage roll along with the sandwiches but this time we got a small quiche instead of a sausage roll (which was delicious) . Also last week I phoned Rockliffe to ask if it would be possible for them to incorporate a Tiramisu into the desserts, for one of the girls birthdays . We arrived today to find it on the menu! So a big thankyou to Rockliffe you certainly wouldn't get that hospitality in alot of places. You have once again exceeded expectations :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I have just attended my friends hen party, a very civilised champagne afternoon tea in a private room. We were made to feel very welcome and the lady that looked after us today was very pleasant and helpful. The afternoon tea was delicious and we were well taken care of by all of the staff we encountered. The hotel itself is immaculate and well appointed with a nice luxurious feel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Victoria H
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Booked a 2 night stay last minute without really knowing much about this hotel ..... What a fabulous find. Absolutely everything about it was outstanding from the great staff to the beautiful spa facilities. We were staying in Tiplady House which we loved - very luxurious. Only thing we can't comment on is the food in the Orangery as we didn't eat there but if it's up to the standard of the rest of the hotel - it would be worth a try. We used the hotel as a luxury base to explore the North Yorkshire dales and it was ideal for this .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pixcell
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This was the second time I visited Rockliffe, after a slightly disappointing first visit. The first time I came with my girlfriend, there were a couple of events that left us slightly disappointed.
I wrote to Rockliffe and detailed the factors I did not feel were up to standard, the main event being, no hot water in our room which resulted in us being moved rooms mid-stay. To their credit they wrote back immediately and in the end, they offered me a complimentary upgrade to a New Hall Junior suite and hoped they could provide an experience more fitting to their five star reputation. I booked up and me girlfriend and I returned last weekend.....so I will write this review reflective of my thoughts of Rockliffe overall and both stays.

Arrival is a dream, very quick, professional and welcoming. We were offered a drink and then taken to the room. I have seen three rooms during my two stays. A Tiplady Lodge - which was very good, spacious, clean and luxurious, although a little bit out of the way from the main hotel and spa, which is fine if you don't mind a 1 minute walk - nothing major in my book. An Old hall double - this was my least favourite room, it felt confined, not as much space as the other rooms, it was uncomfortably hot and I could hear noise from other rooms during the night. The best room of the three and the room I stayed in most recently, was a New Hall Junior Double. We stayed in room 20 and it was a fantastic room, true five star standards. It was very spacious, we had a nice living area, patio doors and outside seating area with great views of the golf course, a spacious bathroom (tv, wet room shower, large bath), dressing area, large bed and large TV, amongst other facilities, all of which are very high standard. Location wise, it was perfect and you realise why people might not like the Tiplady Lodges as much, we were literally opposite the spa, about 4 feet away from the front door, this was very convenient and added to the overall standard of our stay.

The spa is one of the best I have been to and definitely one of the best in the North East. They have 4 or 5 different saunas, everything is modern, clean, spacious and the service of the spa staff was very attentive and professional. There is complimentary fruit juice and a wine bar so it’s easy to have a few drinks by the pool. It was disappointing that on both stays, we have been unable to find a good bed, all had towels on (even though they didn’t look like they were being used) and the second time we visited the main spa room was boiling hot, too hot for me! Maybe make sure you get to the spa early to get secure a bed - German style!

The brasserie is OK. Don’t expect 5 star service or food. It is cheaper than the Orangery and not the same standard. The Orangery is fine dining and we had a very good three courses there, the prices match the reputation, but it is quality food and service of a standard I expected. Very good wine menu also. I cannot fault the meal we ate there; it was five star in my opinion. The Brassie on the other hand, was nothing memorable.

The cocktail bar is great, great service, great menu, but again, pretty pricey per cocktail.
Breakfast in the orangery was great both times, very good, we both agreed it is one of our favourite places to have breakfast. The food is a high standard and the selection is extensive. The view in the morning and the atmosphere, it was just great in every way.

Over my two stays at Rockliffe I can say, this is a 5 Star establishment and it lives up to its great reputation. Expect what you pay for, it is expensive but it is of a very high standard. They certainly are proud of their standards and are making efforts to keep their standards high and address any problems or concerns guests raise. As with everywhere, there are things they can improve on, but overall, I would recommend Rockliffe to anyone and I can say confidently, it is one of the best, if not the best spa break I have ever had.

We will be back.

Room Tip: New Hall Double Suite - Fantastic room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alex T
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Just returned from a session at the wonderful Rockliffe Spa which is part of this luxury hotel. I booked for a luxury manicure and pedicure. I was greeted immediately on arrival and once the booking was checked, I was shown to a nearby seating area and waited only a few minutes before my therapist arrived. I was then taken upstairs to the therapy rooms. In an atmosphere of scented calm, my manicure began. What bliss! From the application of polish to the mandarin scented, exfoliating scrub applied to my arms and hands followed by a soothing moisturiser, the whole experience was marvellous. The beauty therapist was extremely pleasant and gave helpful tips throughout. Then on to the pedicure. I was taken to another room, again offered refreshments and magazines, then oh, what joy! A warm footbath in a throne-like chair, nails buffed and polished, feet massaged, exfoliated and nourished with an enriching cream...absolute heaven! My tired feet have never felt better and when I left , I truly felt as if I was walking on air! I will definitely return for treatment there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank GwynethG306
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Myself and my boyfriends mum went for the spa day as a present we were given. We arrived early to have a coffee and were greeted and our bags were taken straight to the spa area for when we needed. On entering spa we were taken to the brasserie for brunch which was amazing and very unexpected to be given soo many options. All service was amazing on looking after us from start to finish, the spa is amazing with opportunity to relax or try out the facilities. A bar serves fruit juices or prosecco for extra cost or you get served water or iced tea around the pools. There was a fire alarm evacuation which we know has to be followed but my partners mum had to leave the building during a facial, no extra time was offered for the time she lost which is what spoiled her treat as this was her first ever spa day, we did ask if anything could be done like a free drink or to take off 1 pool drink cost and felt we were asking for much more. It's a shame the service ended as soon as we were leaving. But apart from that experience with the spa reception at the end everything else was great. Fantastic massages also.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurworth-on-Tees
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Redworth
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#8 of 21 in Darlington

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!