“Golf and spa break”
Review of Rockliffe Hall

Rockliffe Hall
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked for myself and my parents for 3 nights as part of the summer getaway deal which included golf for my father and myself and spa treatment for my mother. This included a room upgrade and was excellent value we thought for the standard of our stay. The hotel is beautifully situated, the grounds breathtaking, standards in the hotel as a whole very good indeed - the rooms overlooking the course fantastic and the staff very helpful overall. We ate in the Brasserie which was excellent - lovely food, exceptional service from the staff here definitely worth a special mention. The golf course is amazing - the professional staff couldn't be more helpful. We had a really lovely time and loved our golf but would have liked to play more...see below.

Cons: service was patchy in the main restaurant and bar The Orangery - particularly at breakfast and afternoon tea, sometimes got what we didn't order, had to wait a long time and the hot breakfast not worth the wait (surprising in such a high standard hotel) although the cold buffet was lovely.

We wanted two games of golf but couldn't get on the course for one day because of a corporate booking which took up the whole of one day and seemed pretty poor if you are staying staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo L
Rockliffe_Hall_Hotel, General Manager at Rockliffe Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2014

Dear Jo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay on Tripadvisor.

The Happy Days summer getaway has been our most popular break this year and it really is so important to us that each and every single one of our guests leaves feeling happy!

I am concerned to read that your breakfast did not exceed your expectations, we have clearly fallen down here and I can only apologise that you had to wait for this and that your afternoon tea was not what you ordered.

Please be assured that your feedback has been discussed at length internally and actions have already been taken to ensure that service issues such as the ones you encountered do not happen again.

I am also very pleased to read your comments about our golf course and professional team, we pride ourselves on providing an exceptional level of service and have a strong greenkeeping team working very hard to keep the course at Championship level.

Unfortunately we do get fully booked sometimes and it was a shame that the course was fully booked on one of the days you wished to play. We are happy to recommend other golf courses in the area for our guests to try and can even arrange transportation in advance in these situations.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor and I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Rockliffe Hall

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Fantastic warm welcome, facilities and service- all staff were professional, friendly and helpful and unlike other spa facilities we have been to did not try and sell products to us at every turn. A fantastic afternoon with excellent facilities and the afternoon tea was impeccable- thoroughly recommend!!

Room Tip: Just used excellent spa facilities so can't comment.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Sue

What a lovely review, I am pleased to read you enjoyed your spa day. Your comments have been shared with the team who really value your feedback.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Rockliffe Hall for 3 nights as part of their summer getaway deal. We were greated by name from the Concierge as we arrived (we have stayed before and they must have picked up on the name from our car reg number as we drove up) and given the 5 star treatment from start to finish. We were very fortunate to be given an upgrade to an old hall suite, which was beautifully decorated and huge! In total we had 3 TV's including one in the bathroom. The food was excellent, we ate in the Clubhouse for lunch and evening meal and also ate in the Orangery one evening - the Chateaubriand and apple tarte tatin were out of this world and I would certainly recommend them! Service in every part of the hotel is excellent - from the Bar to the Clubhouse, Spa to the Orangery - we received excellent service. Even with a little glitch with lunch in the Clubhouse, the staff couldn't do enough to put it right - exactly as it should be. The Spa is wonderful and we were fortunate enough to have back massages which were fantastic and the hydrotherapy pool is amazing - you'll be very relaxed after an hour or two in the Spa! It's well worth a trip - you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: All rooms are great - we have stayed in the Tiplady lodge and also Old hall suites - both are great...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Lorraine

I am pleased to read your review and kind comments about your Rockliffe Hall experience. We strive to offer exceptional guest experiences and I will ensure that your lovely comments are passed on to all of the team who take great pride in making every single one of our guests stays special.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just discovered Rockliffe this year and this is our third visit! It really is a stunning place to stay. The spa facilities are fantastic a really great way to lose a day & with the sun shining on our last visit we felt like we were on holiday sat outside in our swim wear. We have found the hotel staff fantastic every time we have stayed & were really impressed on our second stay that the barman could remember our drinks order. The orangery restaurant food is fantastic although think pretty woman if your not used to this type of service & again really impressed with the staff knowledge shown within the restaurant. We have stayed in an old hall room & suite & were really lucky to even stay in the bridal suite on one visit. All accommodation types are totally stunning with the best beds I have ever slept in. It really is a 5 star stay away.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kelly

Thank you so much for your lovely 5*review. I have shared your feedback with the team.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I went there for his nephews wedding . When we arrived the staff were really pleasant and apologetic as our room wasn't ready so we had to wait till 3 o'clock but by then we were in the middle of the wedding meal. A little disappointing as checkout time is 11o'clock the following morning. The meal was very nice the hotel it's self is lovely. When we finally got into our room we were very surprised at how beautifully clean the whole room was so the waiting was worth it. My hair was rather wet when we arrived so the staff took me down to the spa and gave me use of the facilities with no charge. All in all the weekend was wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ruth B

Dear Ruth

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor, we really do value your feedback. We very carefully chose our check in and check out times to allow our housekeeping team enough time to service each of the rooms to the highest standards (as you experienced).

I have shared your kind words and feedback with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Rockliffe

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Rocliffe offers something for everyone. If you are a foodie you will not be disappointed they cleverly excel in all their dining options, even the sadly named Clubhouse which does little to excite or entice by name but is certainly not your average golf course dining experience. The hot breakfast outstanding (and served - no need to stand in a line and drip overcooked dried out baked beans onto your poorly balanced plate) - do try the Haddock and perfectly cooked poached eggs. The cocktail bar offers a superb collection of gin's including Deaths Door, Sipsmiths, Williams Chase and Tanquery Rangpour to name a few, being Gin drinkers this was exciting. The Orangery is first class, their Chateaubriand for two well priced and enormous at £75.00 for two, and the Pommes Anna infused with truffles enough to make the drip to Darlington worthwhile. The Cheese selection was excellent as well. We didnt play golf here but the course looked in excellent condition and the golfing facilities were good. The Spa was a first class experience all round. Think Pennyhill Park in terms of quality of thermo rooms and relaxation areas. The actual range of treatments was good and my therapist was excpetional. So much so I sent my husband in for a facial as it included a head and shoulder massage, foot and hand and arm massage, and was the most relaxing and enjoyable one I have had to date. The treatments rooms are gorgeous and the relaxation area post treatment with massage beds, luxury fur rugs and headsets a perfect end to the experience. Lockers were luxurious and bar and ability to order wines, beers and champagne pool side with ease an added bonus. Loungers were plentiful and of various shapes and sizes and there is an area for adults should there be children wanting to play in the main pool area. The exterior of the building is never going to win awards, its pleasant but not going to blow you away as say Cliveden would, but once inside, the appointment is as good as any, with a mix of Four Seasons meets Coworth Park. The public areas, the Drawing and Morning rooms are beautifully appointed. Finally the bedrooms, enormous, plenty of seating, suitably huge TV, which you can view with ease from the bed, excellent bathrooms and product that is both usable and smells fabulous. The bath ran quickly and had a large flat screen to add to the indulgance. Mood liighting was complicated so do ask when they show you to your room. Fresh milk in the mini bar. We travelled by train from Kings Cross to Darlington in 2 and half hours, and it an £8.50 15 minute cab fair from the station. Definitely worth a visit if you love being pampered and friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Alex

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely count of your Rockliffe experience, and your comments have been shared with the team who were so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I came here with my partner on the fantastic deals they have. The hotel and rooms were excellent, the food was outstanding and spa and treatment were first class. I would like to say the staff were brilliant and nothing was to much trouble with first class manners and little helpful tips. It was so good that the girlfriend wants to get married here..........

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jakey77

Dear Jakey

Thank you for your review which I have shared with the team who were so pleased to read your kind words.

I might be biased slightly, but I would agree that Rockliffe Hall is a great wedding venue.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Resort General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurworth-on-Tees
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Redworth
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#8 of 21 in Darlington

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!