“Princely Rockcliffe”
Review of Rockliffe Hall

Rockliffe Hall
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed three nights and from stepping into the hotel to leaving, we were hugely impressed with all aspects of the hotel. We ate in the Clubhouse and the Spa Brasserie and preferred the latter, cost was circa £50. A meal in the Orangery is more expensive but it is fine dining, and the cost of drinks in the cocktail bar are a little on the high side, but I had no objection to paying them.

WiFi was very strong in all areas, I used my Ipad fully. Phone signal strength was not so good. It has movies on demand etc via it smart TV.

The staff were exceptional, the grounds are marvellous and the Spa is first class and has a large pool. The sauna type rooms are all very good, and there are complimentary drinks and fruit available.

We were at the Belfry the week before and enjoyed our time at this wonderful venue, but the ethos at the Rockcliff is quite different. The hotel is far more generous with its complimentary features and as mentioned the quality is truly excellent.

There is absolutely no pomposity associated with it being a major golf venue, and in fact it wears it's status as a five star hotel very lightly.

There seems to be a trend of very ordinary hotels now charging extraordinary prices and I would venture that most people have had the experience of feeling fleeced by some of the less principled hoteliers. The Rockcliff in my view, is nothing like this and deserves all the plaudits it receives because it is obvious that a great deal of work and initiative has gone in to making this the truly exceptional hotel that it is.

We have not been in a better hotel in this country and there are only a couple abroad which could possibly be considered as good.

Room Tip: The rooms in the New Hall are large and well equipped.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kepwick W
Rockliffe_Hall_Hotel, General Manager at Rockliffe Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2014

Dear Kepwick W

Thank you for your five star review, I am so pleased to read you enjoyed each element of your stay with us. Your feedback has been shared with the team who pride themselves on providing exceptional customer service, and reviews such as yours are a testament to their continuous commitment to excellence.

Thanks again for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Rockliffe Hall

Reviewed 21 August 2014

A spa break with overnight stay with my disabled sister and carer which was disappointingly inadequate for someone with disabilities. (a) accommodation on the second floor. (b) a lift that was temperamental and very small.(c) Double bed instead of twin ones as asked for.(d) no complimentary tea or coffee in living area. Not allowed to park my vehicle on arrival for breakfast at main entrance being told the space was for someone arriving! The concierge took charge of my vehicle and returned it after breakfast. On arrival back home discovered paint work damage to passenger side front wheel arch. Notified the hotel and consequently the police because the manager did not believe me! As there was no evidence on camera footage of an incident the manager just dismissed my claim absolutely. He may as well have called me a liar!! I and my passengers are totally disgusted at their reaction to something that was caused by giving my keys to their concierge!!! Staff were good in the Spa but the whole management aught to be ashamed of the treatment a supposedly 5 star Hotel has shown me

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank chestershouse
Rockliffe_Hall_Hotel, General Manager at Rockliffe Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2014

Dear Chestershouse

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to read your review. We have clearly fallen down in some areas and not delivered the truly exceptional experience we strive to offer each of our guests.

Over 10% of our hotel bedrooms are fully accessible. To provide our guests with choice and better access to certain areas we have at least one accessible bedroom on each floor within our New Hall, Tiplady Lodge and Armstrong House Apartments and we have extra wide corridors, lift or ramp access to all levels/areas and extra wide doors throughout the resort.

Unfortunately when the booking it was made it was not made clear to us that you required separate beds /bedrooms. This meant when you arrived at the hotel we did have a very limited number of options available to you, the best option being the 1st floor accessible 2 bedroom apartment.

The apartment lift operates by continually keeping your finger on the button for the duration of the lift journey, and if you take your finger off accidentally it does make the lift stop. Please accept my apologies if this was not explained to you clearly when you were taken to your room. I have spoken to Angela, our Reception Manager who roomed you and although she felt it was understood at the time, it seems as though you still experienced some issues. Our maintenance team have since carried a full check on the lift and found no fault. In future I would strongly advise you to let us know at the time if you were to encounter any technical or maintenance issues, so we can assist you immediately.

Tea, coffee and fresh milk is provided complimentary in all guest bedrooms and is pointed out to guests during rooming. The maids who checked your room prior to arrival had confirmed these facilities were fully stocked. Again, if you had raised these issues with a member of the team during your stay we would have been in a position to assist you immediately.

With regards to your car we take accusations such as this very seriously, which is why it was necessary to involve the police with investigations - they reviewed the CCTV footage and concluded that the damage did not arise from us parking your car.

Once again I am truly sorry that you did not have the best Rockliffe experience and as a way of restoring your faith please do contact me directly should you wish to visit again so I can personally ensure your stay is completely seamless as it should be.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This Hotel has got to be the North's most outstanding wedding venue! It truly is magnificent, the food is excellent and plentiful, the accommodation is state of the art, luxurious and spotless and the staff are all fantastic.
We have just returned home from having our Daughters wedding here and it was the most Awesome day that we could ever had imagined. The wedding breakfast was expertly cooked and sumptuous, we had the Hog roast on the evening which was fabulous and highly recommended. It was unfortunately a rainy August day but thanks to Rockliffe hall and its staff that didn't deter it from being a fantastic day, so much so the rain went unnoticed!! Rockliffe have a very professional team of staff who obviously enjoy their jobs, they cannot do enough for you and go above and beyond their duty roles when needed. A special thanks to our wedding co-ordinator Sarah who was on the ball from the onset returning all calls and emails promptly and efficiently, also thank you to Colin for organising the team of staff making sure that the day ran smoothly and efficiently and also not to forget the wonderful Master of ceremonies Robert who throughout the course of the day and into the evening was so ultra efficient and conducted the entire day and attended everyone's needs to perfection he was an absolute star!. Rockliffe don't have more than one wedding at a time unlike some venues and that makes the whole experience even more special. I really cannot rate it more highly as a wedding venue and it got rave reviews from every one of our guests! A massive thank you to you all for making my daughters day even more perfect than we thought imaginable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Busybee12345670

Dear Busybee12345670

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your daughter’s wedding and I have shared your kind words with all of the team members who were involved in making your day so special.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here for my birthday and it felt so special. Our room had a private balcony overlooking the gardens and golf course. When we arrived there was a birthday card and chocolates provided by the hotel which was a lovely touch. The staff were friendly and would do anything to help. The bed was the most comfortable one I have stayed in for a long time. Only wished we could stay here longer!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria S

Hi VictoriaS

Thank you for your kind words and feedback which I have shared with the team, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We booked to have a evening stay with use of the spar facilities, from the moment we pulled up staff could not have been any more polite or help full, the hotel, spa and out room were faultless, we have stayed in alot of hotels and this is first class! Definitely be returning.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank christopher9581

Dear Christopher9851

Thank you for the five star review and kind words. Your comments have been shared with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked for myself and my parents for 3 nights as part of the summer getaway deal which included golf for my father and myself and spa treatment for my mother. This included a room upgrade and was excellent value we thought for the standard of our stay. The hotel is beautifully situated, the grounds breathtaking, standards in the hotel as a whole very good indeed - the rooms overlooking the course fantastic and the staff very helpful overall. We ate in the Brasserie which was excellent - lovely food, exceptional service from the staff here definitely worth a special mention. The golf course is amazing - the professional staff couldn't be more helpful. We had a really lovely time and loved our golf but would have liked to play more...see below.

Cons: service was patchy in the main restaurant and bar The Orangery - particularly at breakfast and afternoon tea, sometimes got what we didn't order, had to wait a long time and the hot breakfast not worth the wait (surprising in such a high standard hotel) although the cold buffet was lovely.

We wanted two games of golf but couldn't get on the course for one day because of a corporate booking which took up the whole of one day and seemed pretty poor if you are staying staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo L

Dear Jo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay on Tripadvisor.

The Happy Days summer getaway has been our most popular break this year and it really is so important to us that each and every single one of our guests leaves feeling happy!

I am concerned to read that your breakfast did not exceed your expectations, we have clearly fallen down here and I can only apologise that you had to wait for this and that your afternoon tea was not what you ordered.

Please be assured that your feedback has been discussed at length internally and actions have already been taken to ensure that service issues such as the ones you encountered do not happen again.

I am also very pleased to read your comments about our golf course and professional team, we pride ourselves on providing an exceptional level of service and have a strong greenkeeping team working very hard to keep the course at Championship level.

Unfortunately we do get fully booked sometimes and it was a shame that the course was fully booked on one of the days you wished to play. We are happy to recommend other golf courses in the area for our guests to try and can even arrange transportation in advance in these situations.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor and I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Fantastic warm welcome, facilities and service- all staff were professional, friendly and helpful and unlike other spa facilities we have been to did not try and sell products to us at every turn. A fantastic afternoon with excellent facilities and the afternoon tea was impeccable- thoroughly recommend!!

Room Tip: Just used excellent spa facilities so can't comment.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Sue

What a lovely review, I am pleased to read you enjoyed your spa day. Your comments have been shared with the team who really value your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Resort General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hurworth-on-Tees
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Redworth
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#8 of 21 in Darlington

Been to Rockliffe Hall? Share your experiences!