Stayed three nights and from stepping into the hotel to leaving, we were hugely impressed with all aspects of the hotel. We ate in the Clubhouse and the Spa Brasserie and preferred the latter, cost was circa £50. A meal in the Orangery is more expensive but it is fine dining, and the cost of drinks in the cocktail bar are a little on the high side, but I had no objection to paying them.
WiFi was very strong in all areas, I used my Ipad fully. Phone signal strength was not so good. It has movies on demand etc via it smart TV.
The staff were exceptional, the grounds are marvellous and the Spa is first class and has a large pool. The sauna type rooms are all very good, and there are complimentary drinks and fruit available.
We were at the Belfry the week before and enjoyed our time at this wonderful venue, but the ethos at the Rockcliff is quite different. The hotel is far more generous with its complimentary features and as mentioned the quality is truly excellent.
There is absolutely no pomposity associated with it being a major golf venue, and in fact it wears it's status as a five star hotel very lightly.
There seems to be a trend of very ordinary hotels now charging extraordinary prices and I would venture that most people have had the experience of feeling fleeced by some of the less principled hoteliers. The Rockcliff in my view, is nothing like this and deserves all the plaudits it receives because it is obvious that a great deal of work and initiative has gone in to making this the truly exceptional hotel that it is.
We have not been in a better hotel in this country and there are only a couple abroad which could possibly be considered as good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rockliffe Hall is the only five red star hotel in the North of England. Set on a magnificent 18th century estate on the banks of the River Tees, Rockliffe Hall is a destination in itself. Rockliffe Hall's world-class spa and golf course, well-equipped meeting rooms, three restaurants and sublime service ensure it is the perfect place to escape and relax, to do business, and to create memories that will linger on. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Rockliffe Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rockliffe Hall Hotel Hurworth-On-Tees
- Rockliffe Hall Darlington/Hurworth-On-Tees