3,079 results
All reviews golf course spa facilities cocktail bar afternoon tea first class amazing spa golf club five star hotel out of this world on arrival spa experience mood lighting birthday treat star service tasting menu whole experience special occasion
Reviewed 29 November 2018

This truly is a five star hotel.
We did not use the spa this time.
The accommodation is fabulous and the staff are great, nothing too much trouble.
The Christmas decorations made it even better.
What a lovely hotal.
We will return in the Summer.

Date of stay: November 2018
Rockliffe_Hall_Hotel, Chief Executive at Rockliffe Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2018

Dear ScottySouthShields,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of Rockliffe Hall with the Tripadvisor community. The hotel looks truly magical at Christmas time and we are so pleased that you were able to experience this.

Your kind comments have been shared amongst the team, all of whom are delighted to hear that you found them to be ‘great’ and ‘nothing too much trouble’.

We hope that we are able to welcome you back to Rockliffe Hall in the future and that you are able to make the most of the spa upon your return.

Reviewed 27 November 2018 via mobile

We have stayed here a few times before and after this stay I dont think we will return in a hurry. Pleased we booked the monday night special as we would have been complaining if we had payed normal price for the stay.
The reception staff were very friendly and propessional, we met the room cleaner doing the turn down service and she was really nice, room was bery nice.
We had evening meal in the brasserie and the menu was terrible, very little choice and what was on there you would never choose in what is supposed to be a nice restaurant (sausage and mash, cauliflower cheese etc). I had the 6oz steak which actually costs you an extra £5 on top of the package price and an extra £3.50 for just the sauce for the steak, andcit was one of the worst steaks ive ever had, shocking for the price they charge. While on the subject of price, I think it is unacceptable to be charging £6 for a small bottle of moretti and £9 for 2 lattes.
The 2 male members of staff in the spa couldnt have been less helpful if they tried, bad customer service skills.
We were going to book and stay a second night during this stay but I couldnt bring myself to spend anymore money at a hotel that is contantly ripping its guests off so only stayed the 1 night.
I highly recommend travelling an extra 45 mins and visiting Raithwaite Estate in Whitby as this is 10x the hotel of rockliffe and they dont feel the need to rip their guests off at every opportunity, lovely place, lovely food, great staff and normal prices there.
We will not be returning to rockliffe in the near future unless a lot changes there, it isnt the hotel it used to be and not worth the money they charge for everything.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank 732AndrewG

Dear 732AndrewG,

Your kind comments have been shared amongst the reception team, whom are so pleased that you found them to b ‘very friendly and professional’.

We appreciate all feedback, both positive and constructive, as this allows us to improve as a resort moving forward. Please be assured that your feedback has been shared amongst the relevant members of the team whom will of course take your comments on-board.

We hope that we are able to welcome you back to Rockliffe Hall in the future in order to assure you of our best intentions.

Reviewed 23 November 2018 via mobile

Booked a midweek escape in a New Hall room at Rockliffe Hall. The room was amazing and very large. Great bathroom and the bed was so comfy. It surpassed my expectations as did the relaxed vibe of the hotel. The only complaint I would have is the TV remote and software was awful and I struggled to get it to work. The spa is fantastic and much bigger than I expected for a hotel. The extra spa garden is very private and feels exclusive. I loved it.
Tasting menu in the orangery was epic as were the wine pairings. A fantastic experience. Next morning breakfast was great and we used the spa again for an hour.
Apparently cappuccino isn't included at breakfast though as an option which I found strange. I had spent a lot on a one night experience into the high hundreds. To be told small cappuccino is £4.50 extra is penny pinching and after a 98% perfect time it was a small negative. I'm not tight but do not like being ripped off.
Not to end on a negative however as there is much I haven't even mentioned that is fantastic including the staff. I would recommend to anyone wanting luxury and spoiling. Great setting great times.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 136asht

Dear 136asht,

Your kind comments have been shared amongst the team, all of whom are delighted to hear that you found them to be ‘fantastic’ throughout your stay.

How wonderful that you were able to enjoy a dining experience in the Orangery restaurant during your visit. The team are so pleased to hear that you found both the food and the wine pairings to be ‘epic’ and the overall experience ‘fantastic’.

We appreciate all feedback, both positive and constructive, as this allows us to improve as a resort moving forward. Please be assured that your comments have been shared amongst the relevant members of the team.

We hope that we are able to welcome you back to Rockliffe Hall in the future.

Reviewed 19 November 2018 via mobile

Firstly , I must say that I love this hotel. It is truely world-class hotel with super staff who really enhance it. The hotel made a fuss about going dog friendly with i think 6 rooms suitable and beautiful. My issue is that there is nowhere to eat inside other than the room which isn't an option for me on a break. The hotel has 3 restaurants and 2 bar/ lounges and all summer I have pressed for a few tables to be made available in the club house which is often half empty. Most people have no problem with dogs and if they have, there are still plenty of other options. Also the club house is large and a few tables as you enter seems the logical place and away from the main area. I've spoken to Anton who's charming and diplomatic but he informs me that the policy won't be changing. If they don't want dogs staying, that's fine but this is a half way policy and I describe it as dog acceptable at best.It could and should be better. Either scrap dogs staying or provide us sonewhere to eat please. Despite staying many times, and asking to speak to the chief executive, he didnt contact me. As a successful businessman, I can't understand why this is such an issue. I want to stay frequently as i love the place but sadly that won't be happening now. If I were Steve Gibson, I would not be happy with this frankly ridicilous business decision. I've stayed at many lovely dog friendly hotels all of whom provide an area to eat in. This is a half baked policy and I frankly expect more sense from such an establishment. Very petty and didsapointing. Where's the can do philosophy?

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear PhilWestYorks,

We are saddened to hear that you were unhappy that dogs are not allowed within the restaurants at Rockliffe Hall.

Please be assured that your feedback has been taken on-board.

Reviewed 18 November 2018

Fantastic as always. Spa facilities excellent, room superb, food great but Rockliffe Hall’s greatest asset is its first class staff, of whom Anton the Concierge always goes not the extra mile but the extra ten miles. Thanks again Anton, from Tim and Susan.

Room tip: We have stayed in many rooms here over the years, all superb
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear 573Berwickers573,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of Rockliffe Hall with the Tripadvisor community. It is always great to hear from returning guests.

Your kind comments have been shared amongst the team and I would have to wholeheartedly agree that the greatest asset to Rockliffe Hall is the ‘first class’ team we have here.

Anton was delighted to have been able to welcome you back to Rockliffe Hall and is pleased to hear that he was able to make your stay a great one.

We hope that we are able to welcome you back to Rockliffe Hall many more times in the future.