“Good for last minute, but wouldn't return”

Quality Inn Grand Rapids North - Walker
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Walker
Chicago, Illinois
“Good for last minute, but wouldn't return”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The hotel was adequate, bed was comfortable, but the bathroom wasn't clean and it was warm in the room the entire night, as the AC wasn't working well. This hotel was fine for last minute, but I would not return here. The breakfast was sufficient and the staff was professional and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
West Michigan
Reviewed 8 April 2013

stayed at the quality inn Grand Rapids North for one weekend night in late march, 2013. Reserved the room online and check in was quick and easy. Girl at the front desk was friendly, however, my first impression of a hotel is always the desk clerk. She was not wearing a uniform of any kind, but had on jeans and a zippered sweatshirt with a cartoon character on it. Like I said, friendly, but lacked any professionalism at all. Immediatly after I checked in and was heading to my vehicle, she followed me out and proceeded to the corner of the building where she stood and smoked her cigarrette. Not sure who was answering the phones, as she was the only one there.
The room itself was clean, but basic. The beds were comfortable, not plush. The thermostat was a little touchy and had difficulty getting a comfortable temperature in the room..either too hot or too cold.
This hotel does advertise free wi-fi in the room, and although it is true that they do have free wi-fi, the signals were so bad that you would be logged on for about a minute and get knocked off and then it would take a few minutes to find a signal again, and that only lasted a few minutes, so it was almost impossible to use the wi-fi.
The hotel also offers a free continential breakfast. There was a selection of donuts and pastries, toast, cold cereal, instand oatmeal, hard boiled eggs and make your own waffles, along with a couple of juices, milk and coffee. The selection was fine and it was fresh, but the atmosphere brought things down a notch. One cabinet was broken, another had a drawer just removed to use as a make shift garbage shoot. The area was cluttered and unappealing. On top of that, it was freezing in the breakfast area and lobby and the entire area smelled of stale smoke even though this is a smoke free facility.
overall, although this was 'sufficient' for a night as we are passing through, I do not believe I would stay here again unless I was in a bind for a place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Clarkston
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We complained regarding noise coming from the room above us. Front desk told the room who complained. Teens came downstairs and sat in front of our room!! We left immediately. We were so upset by how management treated the situation. We ended upstaying at the Baymont right next door. Do not stay here!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Travellers are raving about these Walker hotels

Novi, Michigan
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I needed to be in GR for a work assignment and since this hotel was the closest to where I would be, and also reasonably priced at 79.00, I stayed. For my money, I got a King bed in a room on the ground floor. I checked in late in the evening, and wanted to get right to sleep. After giving the room the once over, I checked the ground floor window, and found that the latch was broken. I was able to stick the curtain thingy in the space where the window would slide open, offering a bit more security. The room was just ok. Nothing special. Pretty clean.....not the way I would clean it, but then again, I really like things CLEAN. The bed was pretty mushy, but I lived. All in all, if I had be in town for work nearby, I would stay here, but I wouldn't stay here for any other reason. The best part about this hotel is that it is conveniently located off the freeway, and there is a McDonalds right in front....handy for a breakfast oatmeal and coffee as I headed out the door.

Room Tip: If you are going to take a ground floor room, check the security of the sliding windows.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Made a quick trip to say good-bye to father-in-law who is in hospice. Really wanted to stay at the Baymont next door. As luck would have it, they were sold out the weekend of 3/24/12. Made a reservation at the Quality Inn instead. Price should have been my first warning . . . $79.99 room with 2 double beds. Pulled up to the facility Saturday evening and first things kids and I noticed was the faded and peeling paint on the windows and trims. Went inside, lobby was ok, service not so ok. Clerk kept telling me I had a reservation for 2 rooms. I kept insisting I only reserved one room. Had to show her my email confirmation. Room was on the 2nd floor. Drove around to the back to park the car. 2nd warning should have been that the door from the parking lot into the facility is not locked. There was a sign on the door saying not to use the key card, just to pull strongly on the door to open. 3rd warning was the 2nd floor was dark and smelled of curry. It appears the hotel is owned by Indians or Pakistani's. Room was so-so and showed it's age. Could use some updating. Dark, cheap bed spreads on both beds. Mattresses were uncomfortable. 3 flimsy pillows on each bed (NOTE: bring your own pillow if you want something more substantial). Room had wide screen TV, coffee maker, microwave, fridge, and hair dryer. Bathroom was clean., but towels were cheap and flimsy. Thought I was drying off with a piece of sand paper. Checkout was easy and quick. Major complaint at check-out was clerk never even asked how my stay was. Just asked if I wanted my receipt.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more and try to get into the Baymont Hotel next door. If that's full, drive a l...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Paul R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Amazing Suite with Jacuzzi Stayed here for two nights and really enjoyed the room as there was a jacuzzi and a large king bed. The people at the front desk were nice and the breakfast that was for free was amazing.

Room Tip: Nice to do pool party hear
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed here with my daughter for the cheer leading competition the weekend of Jan 13, 2012, was appalled at the condition of our room. The tub was dirty, the floors were disgusting, and one of the other rooms in our group had BEDBUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Management was beyond rude about the condition of the rooms and only refunded our money after mention of the police was brought in. We were finally able to check out at midnight and went across the parking lot to the Baymont and stayed there, much cleaner....

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank grossedout1965
Also consider these accommodations in or near Walker
Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids N/Walker
Hampton Inn Grand Rapids-North
Holiday Inn Express Grand Rapids-North
Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Downtown
Comfort Suites Grand Rapids North
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East

Been to Quality Inn Grand Rapids North - Walker? Share your experiences!