“Neath death experience, no biggie”
Review of Mary Rose Inn

Mary Rose Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Orpington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Arrived on a Friday evening, our room seemed alright although when I went to the toilet I noticed a lot of mould along the pipes and in the shower. It wasn't until we got in to bed that we realised the whole bottom half of the bed frame had collapsed. We complained and after an hour long wait we got moved to another room. The bed was fine and the room looked okay (if you ignore the taped up crack across the window) but in the bathroom was a boiler which had a note on telling the guests not to turn it off as it was for another room too. I started to run the hot water tap to wash my face but the water was coming out freezing. The boiler didn't appear to be working and the bathroom stank of gas. After complaining for the second time in one night, someone came up and told us to turn the boiler off and they'd move us in the morning. Maybe I'm being dramatic but leaving guests in a room with a gas leak seemed fairly unprofessional to me. We left the bathroom window wide open and shut the door and hooray, we didn't die! The next morning we were moved to a tiny room with moldy windows, no cold tap, broken blinds and a broken main light. On a brighter note, we were so stressed out that we slept like babies that night. To top it all off, no one on reception whilst we were trying to check out and when we finally caught someone's attention they were unapologetic and rude.
All in all, unsafe and unhygienic and I'm surprised this hole hasn't been closed down.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SophieAnnH

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I arrived with my wife and grandson for a one night stay in a "Superior" triple room. We were at Brands Hatch for a two day race meeting and were a victim of the English weather having all got soaked through. All we wanted was to change out of our wet clothes, have a cup of tea and relax for the evening, unfortunately this was the hotel we chose and it was not to be.
Our first impressions were not good as we had to pass a group of smokers outside the door marked "hotel entrance". We waited at reception for someone to attend to us as they were serving in the bar, while waiting a man walked past smoking a cigarette, (not an E-Cigarette but a real one !). When we were attended to by Ayaz, on reception we asked if smoking was allowed in the hotel as we had just seen somebody smoking, he said no but he would have a word with the man in question.
We were given directions to our room up a very steep flight of stairs and when we got in to the room we were very very disappointed to say the least. The bedding was dirty, there were not mattress protectors on all of the beds, the headboards were not attached to the bed, the bathroom light did not work properly, a light fitting was dangling from the ceiling, somebody had removed the feet from the wardrobe so the door would not open as it caught on the carpet. When I eventually opened the wardrobe door I found all the wire coat hangers in a tangle on the floor and none actually on the rail. there was a kettle and three cups but nowhere to plug it in and the cups were grubby and stained. There was polyfilla on one of the walls presumably filling a hole but it had just been left bare. When the bathroom light eventually came of it revealed a dirty bath, sink and loo and a filthy soap dish.
We decided that this place was not fit to stay in and returned to reception asking for a refund of the money we had just paid him. Ayaz did not seem surprised when we told him we would not be staying in a filthy room but was surprised that we expected our refund there and then. He pointed to one of a dozen or so pieces of paper stuck to the notice board behind reception which gave details of the refund policy, it appears that all refunds have to go through "head office" so we will have to wait and see if we are refunded after we have contacted them. As this was on a bank holiday weekend and a race meeting was on at brands hatch we were unable to find alternative accommodation and had to go home and return to Brands Hatch the next day, a round trip of over 120 miles.
All in all this was a great disappointment, especially to our grandson who was looking forward to the "adventure" of staying in a hotel with Nanny and Grandad. Despite our problems I must say Ayaz was very helpful and pleasant when dealing with our complaint. I suspect this is not the first one.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KentVictor
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed here with a friend, we booked it and then saw the reviews. I won't lie we were a bit worried! But after arriving, and seeing the 400 year old quirky looking building, I was surprised!

Yes it was a bit dusty and you are greeted with a lady who seems to run the front desk and the bar area, but it all seemed fine to me.

We stayed in what seemed like the newer part of the building, and for the amount we paid, we didn't expect the ritz but I was pleasantly surprised. Huge room, nice (although a bit stained) carpet, en suite with power shower and a comfy bed.

Free parking around the corner, 5 - 10 minute walk to the train station which takes you straight into central london. The receptions open 24 hours and there's a cafe directly opposite that does a nice breakfast in the morning. Theres also a nice beer garden by the bar right next to a river/stream.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised and have booked to stay here again, you get what you paid for here and I can't complain.

Room Tip: Choosing en suite over dormitory saves you sharing a bathroom with strangers!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2014

After arriving at 2.15pm I was greeted by a rude lady at reception who took payment told me where room was. Up lot's of stairs to a disgusting, dirty room tv didn't work when i told them i was fobbed off

Room Tip: Just book somewhere else I can only comment on room I was in but it was disgusting unfortunately can...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Room Tip: The rooms 1-20 are good but the others are very loud and if I want to go there I have to go outside...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I and a friend stayed at The Mary Rose Inn hotel on Friday, 14 May 2014. We found the hotel very basic but for the price we paid, we were happy with the rooms. However, what really impressed us during our stay was the high quality service and attention to detail that we received from Ayaz which if we could rate, we would rate 5 star*! He was extremely helpful, kind and really went out of his way to serve us and to accommodate every single request that we had – he even ordered our Indian takeaway (which was delicious) provided us with plates and cutlery and arranged for a table and chairs where we could enjoy our meal. We felt he went beyond the call of duty and made a great difference to our experience of staying at the Mary Rose Inn and we would happily do so again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orpington
Premier Inn London Orpington
The Manor at Bickley
#3 of 6 in Bromley
Travelodge London Bromley
The Bromley Court Hotel

Been to Mary Rose Inn? Share your experiences!