“Was surprisingly good! Clean and friendly!”
Review of Mary Rose Inn

Mary Rose Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Orpington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel on Friday 13th June 2014 for one night and all I can say was that I can't fault the place very much at all. After reading the reviews on tripadvisor (only after booking) I was extremely worried for my stay and had very low expectations. However I was proved very wrong!
Firstly the staff were very friendly both when checking in and during an earlier phone call in the day to ask about how to check in. We stayed in room 16.
The place is old, but the narrow corridors and low ceilings have a quirky feeling to them and posed no issue to any of my party. Upon entering our room we found a large double bed, a wardrobe, a large sofa and a table with a large flat screen T.V which looked very new. Although the furniture was slightly old, there was nothing wrong with it and was all very clean. In general the entire room was virtually spotless and very comfortable, and for the price was very reasonable. The bathroom contained a shower, sink and toilet all of which worked perfectly and were extremely clean with no mould in sight. The room was slightly hot so we ended up sleeping with the window open and none of us were woken up by the trains that other reviewers have mentioned.
I have stayed in many hotels across the country, as I travel to sports meets most weekends, and this hotel was more than adequate and probably bigger than some premier inn rooms I have stayed in! Of course I can only comment on the room we stayed in, but over all my experience was very enjoyable and think its very good value. I personally would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room 16 was large, spacious and clean!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Crazysal
There are newer reviews for Mary Rose Inn

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Room Tip: Mary Rose Inn Hotel is not a place were u can feel comfortable to have holiday time!!! Mary Rose Inn...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank Sabina N
Reviewed 9 June 2014

i have stayed here many times, its in need of a make over, a good lick of paint, new bath's and shower's are a must, its ok for adults but not for kid's.
some windows need a good clean, beds are comfy,pillows nice,there has always been clean bedding in the rooms i have stayed in. the yard needs a good sweep too. come on mary rose do yourself a favour and get the paint out.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed at the Mary Rose Inn on the 29th March for one night.
My Brother booked the room and I suspect didn't look at this site for reviews.
Right from the start when we pulled up outside I had a feeling of dread when I saw the rotten window frames and unkempt surroundings. We checked in and aside from a small problem with the spelling of our name on the paperwork were directed to our room with courtesy and supplied with a door code to an entry door. We were directed to park our car under the impressive railway bridge arches behind the hotel (which has CCTV coverage at reception).

We stayed in room 42 on the ground floor of the courtyard. We got into the room and switched the light on to find just one dim forlorn bulb working, it did save us from being able to see the room in more detail though. I plugged in my phone charger into the bedside plug point, which didn't work, but another one did thankfully.

We used the next adjoined restaurant for our evening meal, I was a little worried when I saw the large room was devoid of guests, and we had to go behind the bar to find someone to order our food and drinks. All credit to them for this as the food we had (Lasagne and also fish and chips) was reasonably good.

While eating we saw the receptionist and asked for a couple of spare bulbs for our room. Back in our room we watched a tiny but working TV for a short time before the receptionist arrived to fit another bulb, he did manage to get another light working but it was too much for the fitting and it broke. Just before he left our room he helpfully showed us how to switch on the radiators, what I didn't realise was that he had put in on maximum so I awoke at 12.30am in what felt like 40 degrees!

After turning the heating off and opening the window I was treated to a guitar recital rehearsal from one of the rooms opposite which the brave receptionist put a stop to after a while. I found my bed to be comfortable and I didn't get bitten by anything.

Next morning we made our way to breakfast and once again found ourselves alone, the English breakfast was good and the facilities were reasonable.

In summary the place needs updating so badly it isn't true, it also wouldn't pass a fire inspection in my view. There really isn't any excuse for a place to be in this state in this day and age regardless of the low cost of the rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Arrived on Sunday May 11th pointed in direction of room, supposedly superior ,entrance hall carpet dirty and threadbare in places. entered room if this is superior what's the rest like. very old wc and basin. pedestal on basin had two big black cracks all pipe work suffering black mould .large area of floor rotted out with vinyl holding it together ,shower very small lot of black mould and half a brick missing in wall where pipes passed through.TV don't now if it worked but looked if it had come from the ark .drunks on pavement outside hotel drinking from wine bottles and car park had the biggest pot holes you could get causing car to bottom out on entering .We left without staying and are still trying to get a refund

Room Tip: Don't visit you will only end up dissapointed
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart T
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here a few times and yes it has faults but for goodness sake so do the expensive hotels.

They are friendly and I use this place monthly for a few days now.

Am overall happy and like room 40 with the jacuzzi, but don't all rush at once it's mine first :)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Arrived on a Friday evening, our room seemed alright although when I went to the toilet I noticed a lot of mould along the pipes and in the shower. It wasn't until we got in to bed that we realised the whole bottom half of the bed frame had collapsed. We complained and after an hour long wait we got moved to another room. The bed was fine and the room looked okay (if you ignore the taped up crack across the window) but in the bathroom was a boiler which had a note on telling the guests not to turn it off as it was for another room too. I started to run the hot water tap to wash my face but the water was coming out freezing. The boiler didn't appear to be working and the bathroom stank of gas. After complaining for the second time in one night, someone came up and told us to turn the boiler off and they'd move us in the morning. Maybe I'm being dramatic but leaving guests in a room with a gas leak seemed fairly unprofessional to me. We left the bathroom window wide open and shut the door and hooray, we didn't die! The next morning we were moved to a tiny room with moldy windows, no cold tap, broken blinds and a broken main light. On a brighter note, we were so stressed out that we slept like babies that night. To top it all off, no one on reception whilst we were trying to check out and when we finally caught someone's attention they were unapologetic and rude.
All in all, unsafe and unhygienic and I'm surprised this hole hasn't been closed down.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SophieAnnH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orpington
Premier Inn London Orpington
The Manor at Bickley
The Manor at Bickley
#3 of 6 in Bromley
The Bromley Court Hotel

Been to Mary Rose Inn? Share your experiences!