“Very enjoyable evening”
Review of Chapter One

Chapter One
Reserve with OpenTable
Chapter One is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 168 Restaurants in Orpington
Price range: US$24 - US$77
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Behind the charming Tudor exterior is a bright, modern restaurant with top notch modern European cuisine. Chapter One has gained enthusiastic reviews from many major restaurant critics and happy plaudits from satisfied diners. Not to mention that it won AA restaurant of the year 2004 and comes along with four AA rosettes. The dining room is relaxed, spacious and comfortable, and the cooking superb. Start with something inventive, like homemade roast gnocchi with braised chestnut, pumpkin and lobster. Then do try the braised oxtail with pancetta bacon and parsnip puree - everyone raves about it. The wine list shows much care and attention too. You will leave feeling well-fed and well cared-for.
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The food and service we received here was outstanding and we would certainly return to repeat the experience.

Very enjoyable evening - we had the seven course 'tasting menu' and each course was outstanding. The restaurant itself has a great atmosphere which contributed towards a very good experience overall.

1  Thank bc24_13
Write a ReviewReviews (1,412)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

1 Michelin star restaurant, as you'd expect fantastic food. We had the tasting menu with accompanying wines and were certainly not disappointed. However, the quality of the serving staff was not up to scratch. We were served the table next to ours their dessert and we hadn't even ordered. Another waiter came by with food for table 16 which was on the other side of the room and my partner was served a course while he was at the rest room. This was not an isolated case, a table across from us was served their main course while one of them was at the rest room, a small thing some might think, but at this high standard of food it would be expected to have more attentive staff and pay attention to details like this. I also notice a waiter giving another waiter a crash course on the cheese trolley as he was on his way to a table. A good restaurant for business colleagues, not really a romantic setting. Also the table opposite had a guy sitting there with shorts and tshirt for some reason, why they would wear something as scruffy as this on the rainiest day of the year is beyond my taste, obviously there are no dress codes.

2  Thank daniinuk
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This was our first dinner at Chapter One for a while and it didn't disappoint. To start I had the seared tuna with coriander, wasabi and other Asian flavours and although the different flavours were strong they all complemented each other and didn't overpower the fish.

For main I had the rack of lamb with braised shoulder, pomme fondant and olive tapenade. At first I thought it was a bit stingy to only serve one cutlet from the rack but with the shoulder meat and the dreamy fondant the dish was rich enough to satisfy my hunger. The dish was brought together by the sauce and it was one of the best main meals I have ever had.

The dessert was perhaps the least impressive of the three - I had the peanut and chocolate tart with banana sorbet. The tart itself was rather uneventful and didn't taste of much but the sorbet was perfection. It's tartness and flavour would've worked brilliantly with the peanut if I could've tasted peanut!

Overall it was one of the best meals I have had at this restaurant and I am still amazed at how they can keep their prices so low compared to similar restaurants in London.

1  Thank FoodyKid
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We went for lunch on 19 August. It was our first visit to this establishment and being die hard foodies, we were looking forward to the new experience. Very glad to report that we were not disappointed......in fact, we were very, very pleased with our meal from start to finish. We shared a main course of guinea fowl that was positively sublime.

Service was attentive without being obtrusive. Having read many things to the contrary, must admit we had none of the not so nice encounters as mentioned by other reviewers. Perhaps we were lucky, but this should by no means detract from the fact that our meal was superb.

We look forward to future visits. Definitely worth trying.

2  Thank Maria T
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and I rang the restaurant at 5.30 on Friday 8th August for a reservation for dinner the same day, Surprisingly there was a table available at 6.45, with the proviso that they could have it back by 9pm - not a problem for us. We were warmly greeted on arrival, offered cocktails (which we had) and our table was ready at 6.45 on the dot. The service continued to be cheerful, friendly and efficient, could not have been better, and the food was beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. The restaurant is well worthy of its Michelin star, but beware of the tarte tatin dessert for 2 to share, you will need to be hungry!

1  Thank Alastairl24