“Ok, but is this the 5 star standard??”

Sofitel Paris La Defense
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in La Defense
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 May 2014

20-30 mins by metro to the centre is ok, and for the price difference arguably worthwhile.
But is this really 5 stars? Lobby entrance has the classy touches, but you can't help but notice it is somewhat small and dark. Suite was comfortable and clean, with more sunlight coming through what there is of windows. Service professional and friendly enough. The hotel mostly hits expectations, with one massive exception: the room service breakfast was poor. In particular, the scrambled eggs were literally a curdled goo, as if it had been sitting in the buffet for 3 hours, reheated, and then put in the microwave. I have an open mind when it comes to food, and I know this is Paris and the croissants will be more reliable, but this was truly astonishing. Five stars? No big harm done, but weird.

PS. Sofitel - sorry I didn't complete the satisfaction survey, perhaps you could make it shorter or allow participants to submit part way through.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IEv473
SOFITELDEFENSE, Responsable relations clients at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear IEv473,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Paris La Défense. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Robin DEROP
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Sofitel - beds were very comfortable and included "down pillows" - too itchy for me - but my roommate enjoyed them.

The hotel is nice but too far from the main events in Paris (@15 minutes - but a very expensive cab ride back & forth. There is a nearby train ... but not always convenient.

Hotel restaurant was ridiculously expensive so we decided not to eat there!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Getpacked77
SOFITELDEFENSE, Responsable relations clients at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Getpacked77,

Thank you so much for choosing the Sofitel Paris la Défense for your last Parisian visit and for writing a positive review following your stay with us.

We are delighted that you had a great experience and that you enjoyed our property.

About your remark for the restaurant, please note that we propose to our guests some dish from 19€, to match with all expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon; It will definitely be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality for which we are known throughout the world.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Nice hotel but if i am honest over priced for what it is in honesty. I have stayed in far better 5* star hotels at a cheaper rate with better facilities. Whilst the rooms are nice they seem dark and uninviting. I stayed here on business from 19th-22nd May 2014 and my room overlooked another tall building. In the morning I could not open my curtains as the building opposite had cleaners looking at me! (this was room 606)
The rooms were cleaned daily, and the replen of towels and toiletries were very good (however the coffee isn't replaced as quick) but the shower and beds were awesome! All the staff were very friendly and helpful however. As much as it was a nice hotel it lacked an atmosphere - i found it very oppressive.
The metro station is fairly handy however and is about 20 minutes into where the Tower is and the Louvre. The airport is about 1hr 15 minutes by train .

Room Tip: ask for one that doesnt have cleaners looking at you from an opposite building
1  Thank Ian T
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Having been a regular here for work, I have been consistently disappointed with the level of service.

Pros:
The rooms are clean, luxurious and worth the money. It is very close to La Defense Esplanade Metro Station. Very good for working in La Defense. The 'Luxury Room' even has a nespresso coffee machine and they provide you with a good selection of capsules.

Cons:
Tonight I asked for a new breakfast menu, as after using my supplied one yesterday it had not been replenished. I called room service to ask if I could pre-order breakfast for tomorrow, or get a new menu. Their haughty response was that of course I couldn't, and I must call reception. Rather than transferring me, they ended the call. I called reception, to have it ring out 5 times. Finally when someone answered, they kindly agreed to bring me a menu. The man who delivered it was a room service man anyway... The lack of initiative or willingness to help is largely non-existent.

Similarly, eating in the restuarant, the waiters can be impossibly slow at taking orders even when there are only three tables in the restuarant. The food is overpriced with a limited menu, but otherwise good.

Summary:
The well-located hotel is let down by a poor attitude to service in the food and beverage staff. My experiences have been good with the reception and housekeeping, who are wonderfully helpful. Perhaps a change in approach of the food service would be beneficial.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tandant
Reviewed 18 May 2014

this Sofitel is very nice, very close to the Metro, and suited my needs perfectly while in Paris on business this past weekend. The restaurant is rather pricey, but the food was delicious. The wine, however, was not worth the 14 euros per glass price tag.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Matthieu G, Directeur général at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Bonjour,

Thank you for your very comprehensive review!

It makes me very happy to hear you enjoyed so many of our facilities. This type of customer feedback is what motivates us to keep on providing the absolute best service that we can!

You're always welcome at the Sofitel Paris la Défense.

Hope to have you again soon!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My mum and I visited this hotel a couple of years ago. It was stunning, the photos do not do it justice. The bed was the comfiest I have ever slept in and the staff were fantastic.

We really couldn't fault this hotel, we were looking for a quiet holiday so this suited us as La Defense closes at the weekend as it is the equivalent of Canary Wharf, London. It is very conveniently situated on the metro though and the trains run every ten minutes.

I would highly recommend this hotel---outstanding.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tine1971
Matthieu G, Directeur général at Sofitel Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Tine,

Thank you for leaving such a lovely feedback following your recent stay with us at Sofitel Paris La Défense.

I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us!.

We always strive to ensure we provide an exceptional service; so to read your kind words is very much appreciated by myself and the brilliant Sofitel team.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Hotel is on the expensive side, but the service, rooms, food etc are all super great
Location is perfect, right in the mddle of La Defense in between all big offices
Would recommend this hotel to anyone who has meetings in La Defense

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sofitel Paris la Défense for your last Parisian visit and for writing a positive review following your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon; It will definitely be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known throughout the world.