“Business Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in La Defense
Atlanta, Georgia
“Business Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The la Defense Hilton is good for business activities close by, but since our meetings were being held approx 7-8km away it took approx 30-40 minutes by taxi to get to our meeting venue. Hotel breakfast was very good and being within walking distance of a few restaurants made this hotel one of our favorites. Access to the Metro is a few short steps away from the hotel. Staff is friendly and are normally very responsive.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Harry S
StephaneMercier, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Harry S,

Thank you very much for your positive comments following your stay with us. Each and every of our Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I do appreciate your input.

Dear Harry S, all team look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Stephane.mercier@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed in this hotel for eleven nights and overall we enjoyed it. It is a good option if you want to stay in a good hotel at a relatively reasonable price and avoid the exorbitant prices of the hotels in central Paris. It is it within few metro stops from the Avenue des Champs-Élysées. The metro station is right underneath the hotel which is very convenient. There is a shopping center attached to the hotel and a nearby shopping mall with many eating options for breakfast, lunch or early dinner. The shopping center has a ticketing office where you can buy tickets for most museums and avoid standing in the long lines at museums’ ticketing booths. The staff members at the front desk were extremely friendly and helpful especially in planning our sightseeing trips. The rooms are comfortable and spacious by European standards. There are however some negatives. The hotel location is unusual and cannot be easily located by first time visitors. There are no street sings to direct customers to it as the other hotels in the area. Coming from another city by taxi, the driver struggled for almost an hour to find it. Breakfast is expensive at about € 28 per person and the quality and selections are average. We found that the coffee and pastries at the breakfast did not live up to the French standards; therefore after two days we switched to having breakfast in one of the eateries in the shopping center. Internet access is not included even for Hilton Honor silver members and it costs € 18 per day but there is a free Wi Fi in the adjacent shopping center and mall. The central air heating system was not working properly and we had to ask for a portable electric heater. Room make-up needs major improvements. Many times the housekeepers forgot to leave coffee and tea bags and shower gel inside the room and in a couple of cases the bed make up was sloppy and the towels were smelly and we had to ask for replacement. Getting back to the hotel from the metro station is a little difficult at night as the passage that connects the hotel to the shopping center and metro station is closed after 9 PM and we had to get out of the station building and walk around the block to get to the hotel front entrance.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Brave_007
Dear Brave_007,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to fill in a Trip Advisor online survey following your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and our team, which encourage everybody here in providing our quality standards.

However, I have observed your feedback on the cleanliness of your room and bathroom and would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may have cause. Rest assured that our Executive Housekeeper will strengthen the points you kindly provide us in order to avoid this situation in the future.

Dear Brave_007, I do look forward to welcoming you back in our property.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend staying for business or pleasure - there were a lot of pros and a few cons but, I would definitely stay again. First let me say, I have status with Hilton's honor program, so there are perks that go along with that, e.g., free breakfast, Internet, and room upgrade/early check-in if available, etc. so, some of the issues mentioned in other reviews, were not issues for me but, if I had to pay 18€ for daily Internet, I would not be happy.
Pros: 1) Great location if you do not mind taking the Metro, RER to get around Paris. Huge mall with grocery store, banks/ATMs, eateries across the plaza. Grande Arche and large plaza can be seen from outside facing rooms. 2) Rooms have updated features, nice bathroom, bed and furnishings 3) Hotel staff was very nice and accommodating 4) Breakfast was good/pretty standard for European hotels but, what stood out to me we're the Chef's croissants-excellent!
Cons: 1) Room temperature-I had the opposite issue of others. My room was blowing cold air out of the HVAC system but, I needed heat given the outside facing room (some rooms face the indoor atrium of the CNIT bldg) and it was about 10-13 degrees C outside. After a long day of exploring the sights in the cold temperatures, winds and rain which can be expected in Paris/April, alls that I wanted was a warm cozy room to relax and put my feet up. Putting up my feet and relaxing was no problem but, I needed to leave my sweater, coat, and scarf on while doing it (kinda kidding but not really). I reported the issue to the front desk but, not much could be done. 2) Generally, my room was clean. By most peoples standards, it was fine/great, but I'm US based and when a hotel room is listed for close to $400 per night, call me crazy, but my expectations are going to reflect as such. My issues, which I did not report, the carpet, which I believe is relatively new, looked either dirty or worn in my room, the toilet (around ring) could have been cleaner, and the blanket they gave me because I was cold in the room could have been better and cleaner. I reported the latter in the hotel survey after check-out.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank snappy2012
Dear snappy2012,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your visit.

With regards to your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room, I would be most appreciative if you could contact me at your convenience so that I can investigate further the reasons of your disappointment on this occasion. The information will also assist us in strengthening the service we provide to our guests.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Loughborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

This hotel is one of the strangest I have stayed in. Built within a large dome like construction above the RER train station at La Defense right next to the Arch. The hotel is very comfortable and very quiet, one of the best I have been in. The rooms are very well appointed and spaceous. My room looked down into the central auditorium. This hotel is handy for Paris taking about 20 to 30 mins on the RER to Chatalet de Halle, a major intersection. At 170 Euros a night expensive but well priced for a Paris hotel. There are few restaurants nearby but within a 20 minute walk towards Arc de Triumph, which can be seen in the distance, there are many choices. Watch out for the bar prices though.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the central auditorium are very quiet eg 404 (perhaps 400 to 408)
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank briankirk
Dear briankirk,

I would like to thank you for your kind comments. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our brand new refurbished rooms.

I have noted however your feedback regarding our Bar fees. Kindly note that we do regular check with our competition and that our prices are within the average.

Dear briankirk, my team and I do look forward to welcoming you back soon in our hotel.

Northern New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

We liked the hotel, spent 4 nights, and would stay there again at the right price. The room was very clean and comfortable and permitted a good night's rest. We did not have temperature problems that others have mentioned. Breakfast was standard-issue European Hilton. Not above and beyond, but fine. It is a business traveler's hotel, situated at La Defense, which is a center for office workers. La Defense fills up on weekday mornings and empties out at dinnertime, sort of like Wall Street, or The City in London.

We stayed there principally to tour Paris, not to work. There is excellent, rapid train service (15 minutes, running every few minutes) right into town. We found that we were able to zip to the museums just as quickly as when we stayed at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe. We like to stay near central, well-served transit stations in Europe. The neighborhood is not as atmospheric as the Hilton Arc de Triomphe, but it does offer an authentic view of one part of the "real" Paris today, and the Grande Arche de la Defense is a noteworthy landmark in its own right.

First problem -- although it's a business travelers' hotel, and we were traveling with our own laptop, we were unable to print a few very important pages. They don't have a real business center. They tried to help by telling us to email the document to someone in their office, but there were problems with the email address they gave, and ultimately this did not work, either. This is just wrong. As a Hilton guest in a major city business hotel, I expect to be able to print a few pages, even if I have to pay for it.

Second problem -- we had difficulty getting back into the hotel from the train station at night. I had heard this, but it was worse than I had expected. Normally, when you return to the hotel by train, you come up through the station and then pass through a corridor to CNIT, the building the Hilton is situated within. CNIT has been described on here as a mall, but it's really more of an atrium office building with retail on the first two floors and the Hilton occupying a portion of that space (that would probably otherwise be offices.) Across the piazza from CNIT is a true shopping mall, Quatre Temps, anchored by an Auchan supermarket at one end. On our "late" night, a Friday, we returned from downtown Paris around 9:15 p.m. We came up into the station from the Metro, and the corridor to CNIT was blocked off with riot doors. No passage. We speak French passably but there was hardly anybody around to ask, as the train station businesses were also closed. We followed signs for egress and ended up on an escalator leading up into the Quatre Temps mall, which was also closed. There were some people milling about, for reasons that were not clear, and we didn't love being in a deserted, closed mall with a few after-hours loiterers. Auchan had told me earlier that week that they closed at 10, so we headed in that direction, hoping that we could get out through Auchan. We found a general mall door just before Auchan that opened onto the piazza, facing CNIT. We crossed the piazza to get into the Hilton. But once again, access to the hotel required you to walk through the CNIT atrium, and the CNIT doors were locked with big horseshoe-shaped bicycle locks. We walked completely around the building to where cabs pull up to the Hilton, and were able to enter there. The Hilton should really explain this to people when they check in. The CNIT location is highly unconventional, and clearly most guests will return to La Defense at night by train. I am still not sure about the right way to exit the station and enter the Hilton after hours.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank WaterEnthusiasts
Dear WaterEnthusiasts,

I would like to thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us. This is always pleasing to hear such a feedback and we trust you appreciated our newly renovated rooms.

I have however well noted your sad experience with our “printing service”. Indeed, I fully agree that this situation is unacceptable for a 4 star hotel. Rest assured that our hotel does provide this service via the “Print me” option that you can use directly from your room. Rest assured that I have already discussed this with our Front Office Manager in order to take corrective actions with the team.

Further to the access to our hotel by night, kindly be informed that we are working on this subject in order to facilitate the orientation of our Guests coming from the train station at night while CNIT doors are closed.

Despite this, I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you for a future stay in Paris.

St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I can't say enough how great this stay was. First of all, the location of this hotel is wonderful. You're right above a metro station (#1 yellow line) which puts you into Paris in 15 minutes. The RER is also right there. There is a huge mall just steps away that has lots of shops and restaurants (many of which are open late). You can also pick up something quick at Monoprix or Auchan. The area is safe and clean.

The rooms were very spacious and were well equipped. The only very annoying thing was the light on each light switch. The room became very bright at night. If you are light sensitive, bring an eye mask for this. There are plenty of plugs.

Then there is the staff. They couldn't do enough to help. They always had the answers and were simply wonderful. It was my birthday during my stay, so at breakfast that morning, they brought me a lovely tart and there was a bottle of champagne in my room that night. They always said hello and were able to answer any questions. There is also a great vending machine in the lobby to buy things like metro tickets, museum passes, etc.

The Hilton Paris La Defense is a great place to stay for both work and fun. I was there as a week for fun and it was very convenient. I would highly recommend it.

One tip-- not all cab drivers from CDG know where this hotel is. We drove around La Defense for a long time before finally spotting the sign.

Room Tip: As for a room overlooking the CNIT center. It's fun to people-watch.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank WorkToTravelOften
Dear worktraveler7363,

Let me thank you very much for your positive and detailed feedback following your recent stay with us.

Your comments provide a great inspiration to all team! Indeed, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed being with us and that despite your remark on the lights, you appreciated our brand new refurbished rooms.

Dear worktraveler7363, we look forward to host you next time you will be in Paris.

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I'm sitting in the Hilton Paris La Defense absolutely melting despite an incredibly cool spring night outside. Apparently this hotel is in the midst of a 're-fit' and they haven't got around to sorting out the AC/Heating in my room but they're happy to rent it to me for €300+ a night when they knew damn well it wasn't working. Oh, yeah, if I want AC to write this review online it cost an additional €18 a day to access the internet. Oh, and breakfast isn't included either. The desk clerk was helpful and brought a fan that looks like a heater and doesn't do anything to cool the room. I asked to be moved to another room and he said that they were fully booked tonight. I can't believe that anyone who's stayed here once would ever come again if they got the experience that I got. I would have expected a lot more from a Hilton but have been deeply let down - if the thought of 'Paris Hilton' could ever be more unappealing - this is it! A hotel should not be allowed to provide a room in this condition.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JBB1971
Dear JBB1971,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Paris.

It is with regret that I take note that your experience at our property was not to your expectations, for which I sincerely apologise. Indeed, at all times, we strive to exceed Guest expectations.

I assure you that we took every possible measure to ensure that these types of experiences do not happen again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Defense
Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel
Novotel Paris La Defense
Novotel Paris La Defense
#7 of 41 in La Defense

Been to Hilton Paris La Defense? Share your experiences!