“Hot in the city of lights tonight”

Hilton Paris La Defense
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in La Defense
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Note: Would actually give 3.5 stars if available. Would be 4.5 if AC worked. Stayed here the entire 1st week of December. Very cool, modern hotel, located inside of a shopping mall. Gorgeous Grand Arch located outside, & charming Christmas Market just a few steps away. Nice lounge w/pricey drinks (18 euro for a cocktail) but, hey, it's Paris!

Check in smooth & easy, we are Hilton Diamond, so received upgrade to view room of Arch & Xmas Market, very helpful front desk man explained metro location & where to purchase museum pass. He noted that we had specifically asked for either an opening window (there are none) or a room that had good working AC. Note that there is no snack/drinks lounge for Diamond Members, normally we would have been given bar vouchers for each day, but did not receive any. Not a problem.

Room was spacious & immaculate, albeit a very, very funky smell coming from the tiny shower, but shower seemed very clean w/excellent water pressure. Bathroom nicely appointed w/whirlpool tub (which we did not use, come on, Paris awaits you outside! Lighting in room is very dim, even with all lights on, but it's adequate. Furnishings lovely & modern, w/clean lines & a very comfortable bed.

Room seemed a bit warm, but AC was off, so we flipped it on full blast down to lowest temp & headed out to the Xmas market around 17:00 for a cheap & delicious dinner.

Returned around 19:30 to a room that was like an oven, played with thermostat a bit to no avail, then headed down to front desk. He said the last customer must have requested to turn off AC (Huh?? why request this? Just adjust the thermostat yourself, right? We would find the answer to this little mystery on our last night) Anyhow, he played with the panel outside the room for a few minutes & assured me that the room would cool off soon.

It didn't.

We finally resorted to sleeping with our door propped completely open all night, as the hall way was comfortable. Thank goodness I always travel w/a tiny fan as this helped me sleep. I would have actually slept in the hall if we'd had an extra blanket. BTW, a little travel gadget we have noted our room temperature around 80 f.

Showered, shampooed & dressed next day, room had cooled down to about 74F due to open hall door, bit strange getting ready w/door open, but hey, you do what you have to. Several staff the evening before & that morning stopped to ask why the door was open, we explained, hoping they would offer a solution, but none was forthcoming. BTW, very nice towels & soaps in the bathroom.

Went to front desk to request repair of AC, kind lady offered us compensation, but I declined, explaining we just wanted to be able to control the room temperature & get a decent night sleep. Very nice included breakfast & free Wifi for Diamond members, hubby caught up on work emails & I planned our day. By the time we returned to our room, engineering was finishing up & our room started cooling off immediately. Hallelujah, problem solved!

By 8:30 we were at the very convenient metro/RER station buying our passes & heading out to Paris proper, had an amazing day & returned to our lovely hotel to shower, watch some tv (there was a station with english dubbed documentaries) & sleep. Called down for two buckets of ice (no ice machine) & fresh towels for morning both of which arrived promptly.

Room was on the chilly side, so I adjusted the thermostat, but nothing changed. Ok, so I just turned off the whole thing. Nothing changed. Apparently the thermostat is not actually hooked into anything, it's all controlled by that outside panel. Uh oh. Room got colder & colder as night wore on, in morning my little gadget read 58F. I'm comfortable w/that but poor hubby froze & slept w/his thinsulate hat on. We now realized we could either sweat in this room or freeze in it. After another wonderful breakfast (great coffee & service) & another amazing day in Paris, DH rigged some towels over part of the AC vent which made a big difference, the cold air was no longer blowing directly on him.

On our last night, we return to hotel around 20:30. Room is hot again. I go to front desk to ask What The What???? & the response is, oh, they turned it off already? Apparently anyone who can turn it back on again has gone home, no solution is offered, other than turning off the entire system to our room to stop the hot air (80F) we opt for that, take cool showers, & once again sleep w/hall door open. We have another full day in Paris to look forward to, as we have an evening flight, & our plan is to just take quick morning showers, sight-see, & then do the full shampoo & shower before our 12 hour flight home.

Unfortunately, in the middle of the night, a note was tossed into our room explaining that showers would be unavailable from 6am to 6pm, with strong wording suggesting, that unless you wished to die a horrible lobster death, do not attempt to use the hot water. OK.

Took icy rinse offs, engineering promised to cool room down, front desk said we would be able to take real showers before we left. When we returned, room was still way to warm, but the open hall door helped, we packed everything, were able to shower as promised (water did fluctuate from cold to very hot, but just gritted teeth & took cold showers) got ready, & headed out.

The hotel had arranged a private shuttle for us (55E to airport door to door, prepaid & no driving in circles nonsense.

So here's my feeling: Lovely hotel, fantastic architecture, clean, nice gym, great staff. Clearly there are ongoing AC & Water problems, if you go thru the past reviews there are countless ones mentioning the same problem. I hope they find a permanent solution, because I would stay here again, but would not accept a room assignment until I'd checked the temperature of the room.

Room Tip: Check temperature & thermostat before accepting a room, if temp of air coming from vent does not...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cozkitty
HotelManager92, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear cozkitty,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Paris and for having posted a detailed feedback following your recent visit.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the unpleasant experience you encountered with the air conditioning of your room throughout your stay with us. We greatly value our guests’ wellbeing and be assured that your comments have been taken very seriously.
I assure you that we took every possible measure to ensure that these types of experiences do not happen again.

Cozkitty, I do hope that despite the above, you will not be deterred from returning to our property and that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back in our hotel.
In the meantime, I remain at your disposal should require any further information.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Paris La Defense

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This Hilton hotel is a somewhat strange property. Located within a conference centre CNIT, one cannot say that it lacks anything major, but the overall feeling was that something was missing.

Located within easy reach from the centre (metro line 1 will take you in 10 minutes to the Arche de Triomphe and the Champs Elysees). We were a group of friends spending a weekend in Paris, and stayed in two rooms. One of them was an upgrade to a Double Relaxation room, thanks to the HHonors Diamond status, and the other one was a Double Double Room.

The Double Relaxation room was quite nice, with an extra-comfortable bed and a wonderful bathroom with a small whirlpool and a separate shower. Only downside would be the fact that the windows cannot be opened (even though the room overlooked the street, there were two layers of windows, one of the hotel and one of CNIT). The air in the room was quite dry for that reason.

The Double Double room is actually a room with two queen-sized beds, and it is hard to imagine four people sleeping there, even though it is advertised for a group of 4. It overlooked the conference centre, and the air was very hard to tolerate. It was impossible to turn off the heating completely, and the overall impression was at least two classes bellow the Double Relaxation room.

Breakfast, which was offered free to us, again thanks to the HHonors Diamond membership, was not so diverse, but appetizing enough.

Staff were diverse. Some of them, like Kameliya, were pleasant and smiling, even though we only got to see her once when she brought additional toiletries to our room, while some others working at the reception were way too arrogant.

This hotel lacks an Executive lounge to be considered a business hotel, but sadly enough, it is the only Hilton choice in downtown Paris.

Room Tip: By all means ask for a room that does not overlook the conference centre!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank UV4ever

Dear UV4ever,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the hotel,.

Indeed I have well noted your experience with the air conditioning in your room, for which I sincerely apologise. Rest assured that our Chief Engineer will take appropriate actions. On such situation, please do not hesitate to contact the reception team so that they can ask an engineer to fix the issue.

Further to your feedback regarding some members of our reception team, please accept my most sincere apologies should they have demonstrated any inappropriate behavior. We always endeavor to offer the highest level of service and it would appear that on this occasion that we failed to meet your expectations. Your comments will of course be forwarded to the relevant management for their attention.

UV4ever, we do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Found this hotel a value for money in terms of proximity to the facilities and business district. Rooms are good and so are facilities. You don't feel left out from the city interiors and you have train station below the hotel and excellent arcades for food and shopping in proximity. The food spread is also good. Overall you will not regret staying there.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Vikram075

Dear Vikram075,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your stay with us in January. I am pleased to read that our property met all of your expectations in terms of location and services.

I trust that we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon here at the Hilton Paris La Défense!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I went here for a business trip on October 2007 so it was very late. but I still remember the details.

Located in La Defense where offices operated made this hotel deserved staying for business purposes. Location is perfect, near La Defense MRT gate, near shopping centers including Auchan.

Room was good for 5-star hotel in Europe. Why I say just good not excellent? because in Indonesia you can have a 3-times better hotel than this one with the same price :) Or, if compared to Hilton in Indonesia, the price to get the same quality was 3-times lower :) The interior design was good.

Breakfast was provided free of charge. The food was various enough and good enough but plain, just like most European food.

Everything was just good, but please be careful for in-room dining. Ensure that you pay later when you check out. Just sign the bill, and do not give some money to the waitress. I had a bad experience about this, signed the bill and give the waitress such amount of money (I forgot, something like 23 Euros) and it didn't come up on my whole bill when I checked out!! So I cannot reimburse it to my company.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
HotelManager92, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Putie,

Thank you for having provided your feedback following your stay in 2007. Despite the time elapsed, I read that you kept in mind lots of details.
I am pleased to note that you have an overall good memory about your stay with us. I am sorry to learn however your experience with our room service. For a future stay, please do not hesitate to mention any issue you encounter to our team.

Kindly note that lots of things have changed since you came. Indeed, our restaurant and bar were refurbished in 2010 and 2011 and our rooms in 2012.

I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you at some point in the future so that you will discover the new Hilton Paris La Défense!

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

The assumption is that if you stay at la Defense, it is for business not for pleasure. This is probably the best hotel in the area, just an escalator away from the metro and easy walking distance to al the office buildings, it also has very large, well decorated rooms. This is probably the best Hilton I have stayed in, ie the one that has felt less like a "chain" hotel. The only big downside is the 20euro wifi access per day...

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
HotelManager92, General Manager at Hilton Paris La Defense, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear whiterabbitjb,

This is with great pleasure that I have read your feedback following your most recent stay with us. Indeed I am pleased to learn that you felt well with us. I have noted however your remark regarding our internet fees. Please note that we do regular check with our competition and that our prices are well within the average.
Dear whiterabbitjb, all of the team looks forward to welcoming you back soon in our hotel.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Hilton Paris La Defense is a bit out of the way located in the new township commercial area, nothing much going on after working hours. We arrived early in the morning after long haul flight from Malaysia. Surprisingly room was ready by then and we can actually take a nice shower before heading for shopping at Foubourg. Room is modern in design, clean and tidy. The double double room is considering large in size for Paris but the windows are facing to the central courtyard which is a bit weird in my point of view. Be prepared if the taxi driver has no idea on where is the main entrance as the building has a strange design. Get information from the reservation before arrival. Metro is within 3 minutes walking. There is a small mall in adjacent to the hotel, where you can buy some sundry and stuff. Breakfast is superb with varieties.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Huan Yin C,

Thank you for your positive comments following your stay in March.
I am pleased to see that your impression of our staff and service was good and that you felt well taken care of during your stay.

I am sorry however to note that you encountered difficulties in finding the hotel with the taxi you took. For your information, kindly note that we are currently working with Local authorities in order to improve our hotel signage.

Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments.

All of the team looks forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Paris La Défense soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Hilton's are the same anywhere in the world, and this one is no exception

Rooms are Hilton standard, generally new, clean, smart, spacious and comfortable.

breakfast very good, nice bar area

if you are looking for a 1-2 night stay and work in La Defense this is good.

tip : Try the portman hotel which I find is one star better overall

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Richiev2009,

I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We were delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your visit. We thrive on our guests' satisfaction and your comments are a great encouragement to the team and management.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next require accommodation in town.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Defense
Melia Paris La Defense
#1 of 16 in Courbevoie
Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel
Fraser Suites Harmonie Paris La Defense

Been to Hilton Paris La Defense? Share your experiences!