“Amazing staff, Okay hotel”

Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in La Defense
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was my first stay in Europe as I was attending the expo and chose this hotel for the lounge access "as I am a gold member" and I brought my wife so it was within walking distance to the mall so she could shop while I was at expo. We stayed here 3 nights and moved to downtown Paris after. I am a frequent traveler to Asia so I am use to huge, modern, first class rooms and this hotel seemed very outdated to me. I did get an amazing rate so I wasn't expecting it to be phenomenal but I was definitely unhappy with my room. It was old and bathroom was small and outdated but the staff was more than happy to move me. They offered me a corner suite room for more money "which was larger but not much better for the upgrade of money and faced construction out back so we ended up getting just a larger reg. room and it was fine. We went out to eat and came back and there was a bottle of champagne for us, which was so nice. The staff was always talking to us and making sure we were happy and if we needed anything. They were terrific. I am use to getting upgraded to executive suites in Asia for free just for going frequently but things are different in Paris so don't expect a nice free upgrade. U do however have lounge access and free internet for gold + members.

The lounge was nice with a decent selection for breakfast and snacks. I loved the cappuccino machine in the lounge alone! We ended up moving our hotel 2 days earlier just for the fact that we wanted to experience downtown Paris and had no reason to be in this part of France.

I wasn't really impressed with this hotel again as the rooms seemed outdated to what I am use to but I cant say enough good about the hotel staff. Very professional and helpful. Its really not bad for the price, just don't expect first class rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank mark4027
thibaut p, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for choosing our Renaissance Hotel Paris la Defense for your last visit to Paris.
We sincerely appreciated your taking the time to comment your stay at our Hotel.

Guest satisfaction is one of the core values for Marriott Hotels worldwide, and we are happy to see that you find our staff amazing.
We could understand that the general quality of the room did not meet your expectations. In order for us to strive for the quality of service that you expect to find at Marriott Hotels, we are actually implementing a renovation process that should start at the end of the year 2014.

It is only thanks to your feedback that we will be able to make ourselves better tomorrow.

We look forward to welcoming you back in our hotel as we would very much welcome the opportunity to make you discover the best experiences you would expect in a Marriott hotel.

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Although quite a distance from the airport, it is strategically located a stone throw from the underground station from where you can pretty much easily get anywhere you want. It is also close to the 4 temps mall but can get quite secluded at night because it is a business district.

The hotel itself is very clean and the staff are always ready to help. Breakfast buffet is a good spread and room service meals aren't bad either.

I'll definitely be staying there again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank simplymoi
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Arrived by taxis, doors locked, had to pound on door to get someone attention. Room not available until 4 pm as expected, stored luggage. Given map for area. Found outside hotel was business area mall, walk to transportation or mall was questionable for solo female as young men riding by on bikes -- safety always a question around this hotel...must be why they keep all doors locked. Came back from lunch and couldn't get in to hotel as door locked and no guard present. Only had baggage claim ticket. Another couple let me in but were concerned that I was breaking in hotel so they went with me down elevator to reception desk. Terrible impression of safety. After getting room -- looked out of window and saw guys below passing questionable items -- drugs? Joined tour group for dinner -- no lights to get to bus in sub-terranin parking -- tour director used flashlight so we could see curbs. Leaving room for dinner and noted water on bathroom floor -- seems toilet upstairs broke and was coming down my bathroom wall. Called front desk and sent someone up to investigate immediately. Thought all was ok. Up at 6 am and found bathroom floor flooded again! Front desk didn't have any record by evening staff of problem. Since was checking out with tour group don't know if they resolved.
Room was clean and nice originally -- area was 'scary' for sole female and too far from central Paris for tourists. Had to take subway or taxis and waste 30-45 mins travel to and from tourist attractions.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jcinpa
thibaut p, Directof of Operations at Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Hotel Paris La Defense for your stay in Paris.

Please be assured that the satisfaction of our customers is a paramount concern to us, and all your comments definitely help us improve the service we provide.

I really apologize for the inconveniences you have encountered.

I wish to assure you that La Defense area is safe and as a guest you should have been able to enter the building with your room key card.
We have a 24/7 security guard patrol around and within the building who is there to make our hotel as secure as possible.

I also understand that you encountered a recurring problem concerning water flood in your bathroom, and wish to present my apologies accordingly.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We had group of 20 PAX. Hotel was extremely cold. We changed some of our rooms but still it was really freezing even in our new rooms in 9th floor. After 2 days, from reception we got small heater in our room. Our clients are not happy with general services that hotel provided for them and they asked us to don't recommend this hotel for future :( ... I expected much more from this hotel

Room Tip: All rooms are cold ... we had over 10 rooms there (specifically 929 & 132 )
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Atapi
thibaut p, Director Of Operations at Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Mr Atapi

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment concerning your recent stay in Paris and our Renaissance Hotel.

I truly appreciated hearing from you and I have personally reviewed your points with our team in detail. I understand your disappointment concerning the heating in the rooms of your group and wish to apologize accordingly. Unfortunately, our hot water line broke down on Saturday night; which is the reason why the rooms were cold on this night. I assure you that as soon as we heard from your guests, we did our utmost to increase the heating in the room. As we have a centralised heating system, we can only augment our temperature by 3/4 degrees; which our Engineering Manager did as soon as we were made aware of your issues. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

This hotel is stylist and very comfortable. It is right next to a massive shopping centre and a metro station. It isn't very close to central Paris, but the metro is quick and easy. Breakfast was delicious and there was a good variety of food. Our room had a view of La Defense which was exciting.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrissieMitzen
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights for a business meeting. The hotel is just a brief walking distance from main offices and also very close to the metro station in case you need to get around Paris. The staff are brilliant and they have a decent breakfast spread. I was told by my colleague to avoid staying at the first floor as he experienced a lot of noise due to passers by. Will definitely stay here again

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank travelbotts
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Positives: spacious and clean rooms, quiet, close to public transport and good quality food joints, excellent gym, sauna and steam facilities. Overall a very modern and confortable hotel situatied in the busiess district of Paris.
Watch out for: distance from the centre, breakfast if not included in the room can be expensive. If youa re looking for a place with the typical Parisian feel, this is not the place to be.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family