“Great business hotel”

Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in La Defense
London, United Kingdom
“Great business hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The GOOD:
- If you have business in La Defense (one of the banks or insurers there), then this is in my opinion the best hotel there. I spent several months at SocGen just a 3 minute walk away on the plaza and it was the most convenient arrangement I've had on a business trip
- Room service food is good
- The hotel is OK to get to with taxi (unsurprising) or metro/RER since the station is a short walk away at La Defense. Some other hotels are away from the main pedestrian area, so you have to cross these huge highways - not the Renaissance.

The BAD:
- La Defense generally is OK for food for lunch or in the evening, but if you want to experience Paris, you're much better off getting a hotel at Charles De Gaulle Etoile and getting the underground in a couple of stations from there (though the underground during rush hour is not pleasant). It gets quite dead at night.
- It's a business hotel: high standard, no soul

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Bridgewater, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I flew out for our first trip to Paris back in October 2012. As far as location, this hotel is located in the business district which is full of people during the morning commute. The great thing about this hotel was that it was within a very short walking distance to the Metro and 2 shopping malls. The hotel itself was nice and clean. We had booked a room with a king bed but were checked into an odd corner room that was triangular and with a queen bed. So my husband went down to the front desk and mentioned that we had booked a room with a king and the woman was not very polite and stated that they did not have king beds. So we just dropped it. We received the complimentary breakfast buffet in the mornings which was good for only a pit stop for coffee. They served the same food everyday which was just average and eventually got to be a bit boring. A few days into our trip, we were woken up at 7 in the morning by a loud banging against our window. There was a large cable hanging down the side of the hotel building that was being used to replace the Renaissance letters on the outside of the hotel. The cable was swinging with the wind up against our window. So we went down to the front desk and they switched our room for us. Not only was the second room larger and with a better layout but it indeed included our king bed! So in the end it all worked out. Overall the hotel was nice and in a decent location but if you are a tourist and want to be in the midst of Paris, I wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel. If and when we plan to revisit Paris, we would probably stay closer to the center of Paris and the tourist attractions.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brianna D
thibaut p, Director of Operations at Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us concerning your recent stay in Paris and our Renaissance Hotel.

Our hotel is located in the la Defense business area and it is only few stops away from the Champs Elysées avenue.

I thank you for getting back to me hereby giving us a chance to avoid reoccurrence and to make us better tomorrow.

Kind regards,
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Great location for for easy access to to central Paris. Also only 25 minutes from Versailles on the SNCF. Staff we're extremely helpful. Nice clean rooms. Breakfast was very good. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Overall

I constantly travel for work and am in hotels 3-4 nights a week clocking up over 150 room nights last year. I have stayed in the Rennaisance La Defense a couple of times.
As this is a Marriott product I knew I would be safe and get a basic standard, The hotel is right across from the Grand Arch in La Defense. If taking a taxi don’t expect to find it. 2 drivers couldn’t navigate the streets at la defense despite having satnav and so dropped us at stairs or escalators to walk round and find it. Taxis are parked right outside the nearby Hilton however so they must get in somehow.

Checked in late and left early so normal service experienced.

Didnt eat here. Breakfast was advertised at 26 euro plus tax so ate elswhere

Most hotels in Paris are expensive. This was quite expensive compared to the Hilton I usually stay in..

Sleep Quality
Good .

Cleanliness
Very clean

Location
Good location for La Defense – a little far out of Paris for my liking. Connected by tram and train through la defense so you can go many places from here.

Rooms
The rooms are like any other Marriott globally. Close the curtains and you could be in Paris or Peru. I always find the air con in Marriott’s to be fairly poor and blow warm air and this happened here too. TVs have digital channels so also pick up UK tv..

General
Nice clean hotel in an OK location..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Iain F
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Despite being more appropriate for the business market due to its location but gaining access to Paris central isn't that difficult either as the La Defense Station is within walking distance. The nearest mall would be Elysees Le Defense, rather a large mall with plenty of shopping and restaurant options for those who don't wish to go into central Paris on their last night.

The room was well-appointed to give a comfortable night stay. Stayed 3 nights and found it pretty pleasant. Staff speak English well and were all very helpful in disseminating information. I was also told that this particular hotel has one of the best Concierge in the city to provide any needed traveling information and assistance.

The down-side that I experienced at this hotel was that despite extending my 3rd night using a prepaid voucher, I was again charged of the last night to my credit card whereby I was given an reimbursement when I question the Reception of their said action. Well because of the credit and debit charges to my card, I would still have to bear the exchange rate charges that can pretty hefty due to the amount incurred and the lower value of my country's currency.

No comments regarding the breakfast as I was travelling with the Trafalgar Tour group and it happened that this company had a couple of groups in-house during the same duration whereby we were all directed to have breakfast at a room specifically set-up for tour groups away from the main breakfast area in which nothing much even to talk about.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Canny
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stay at this hotel for 6 nights. The hotel located in a very new and comfortable area that have all you need as a big shopping center, a big supermarket, and a lot of restaurants, and more.
the Metro and RER is very close.
Our room war wonderful, with a nice view.
The hotel is very clean and modern, with a big fitness center and spa. The breakfast is very rich and you can have everything you ask for.also the staff in the breakfast hall are polite
The staff is very professional and very very nice and helpful .
the hotel parking is very comfortable and cost 24 eur a day.
The WiFi is free in the public area but cost much in room.
We strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Wonderful, helpful staff and clean rooms. Easy access to Paris Metro/RER.

Unfortunately the mattress was overworn and uncomfortable - as with some other things in the hotel, it was obviously dated and a little past its prime. Also, the charges to use internet in the room were obscene (19.95Euro/day). Access was free on your own device in the lobby, but there was a charge to use internet in the "business center."

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
thibaut p, Director of Operations at Renaissance Paris La Defense Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to comment your stay in Paris and our Renaissance Hotel.

I'm sorry to read that your mattress was uncomfortable and I do apologize for the inconvenience

I understand your comment concerning the free internet in our hotel. Unfortunately, this is not yet possible; however it is with feedback such as yours that we might be able to change this current orientation.

We are always sensitive and concerned by all the comment to improve the quality of services provided. I will also share your compliments to our Associates, it will be a great source of motivation for the entire team.

Sincerely yours,