“Good location for a (relatively) inexpensive stay”

Adagio La Defense Esplanade
Ranked #24 of 41 Hotels in La Defense
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The Adagio is an Aparthotel (an apartment-hotel combination that was a first for me) and is located a little strangely.

When giving directions, say that you want to go to Sofitel in La Defense. The Sofitel is much better recognised and is adjacent to the Adagio.

As other reviews have mentioned, you need to go to a nondescript door, buzz a bell, and get buzzed in to the hotel. Walk through a hallway of sorts with curtains to one side, to an elevator, and go to the 0th floor - reception. Incidentally, that is the only floor you can go to without a room key.

We were greeted and given our room keys - two for our family (and we didn't need any more) and explained how things work. The room key is the only way we can go up to our room in the elevator. The elevator ALWAYS stops at the reception floor on the way UP or DOWN - and yes, the manager always peeps in or glances up - made us feel very safe (no really! I mean that!!)

We asked for some help with a place to have dinner - we had arrived on a Sunday afternoon when Paris is essentially dead. There is a mall nearby - the Quatre Temps - and boy what mall it was! On that Sunday evening we had all the restaurants open, were able to find a place to buy shoes for my wife and walked ourselves to a tired sleep back at the hotel. The mall itself is about a 10 minute walk from the Adagio. There is some activity going on all the time outside the mall, in the square near the Arch. The few times that we passed the place, there was some music and someone leading the tourists (on weekends you will only find tourists in La Defense) in a kind of aerobic dance. Another time they were square dancing.

La Defense itself is an office complex away from Paris. It is the newest addition to the Paris skyline and the Parisiennes seem to be very apologetic about it. You can see La Defense dominating the skyline to the Northwest of Paris. We loved the location - although it can be lonely at night.

The metro is less than 5 minute walk from the Adagio. But make sure that you make your ticket purchases right at the airport - there are different options for tickets addressed elsewhere on Tripadvisor and with far greater detail than I could ever attempt to.

Back to the hotel. The room itself was very nice with a bed for two and a sofa-bed for 2. The sofa-bed was good enough for two (relatively) small people. And the bed was sufficient for two. There was little space to move around. The kitchen was small - so small that only one of us could go in at a time. It had a door. A refrigerator. A sink. Glasses and some utensils.

One of the things that put us off on the day we checked in was the tremendous odours in the hallways of the hotel - people had eaten their lunches/dinners and placed the remains in the hallways. They may have even placed the garbage from the past few days there. The hallways smelt of various cookings and foods from all parts of the world. It made for an unwelcome welcome (if you know what I mean). But next morning the hallways were clean and the odour had reduced considerably - and by Monday evening it was gone.

The rooms could do with a lot more sound proofing. There was a night when a family arrived late at night and they kept us awake for two hours that night - from 1 AM to 3 AM - with their noise.

We never turned on the television. The Wi-fi connection is based on your last name and room number. You then get redirected to a page with a login and password that is valid for 24 hours. You can use that login and password for ONE device. Repeat for multiple devices if you have many in the room. My wife, my son and I were able to log in with 4 devices during our stay. We would renew the accounts every night when we returned from our Paris excursions.

One thing I would STRONGLY recommend - when they offer you the daily breakfast for approx. 11 Euros each, TAKE IT! It is a bargain compared to other breakfasts you will get for paying slightly less. You can have unlimited cereals, croissants, breads and some other items. To compare, the cafe below had a breakfast of a croissant, an orange juice, a coffee and a chocolate stuffed bread of sorts - all for 8 euros. It was barely sufficient for my teenagers.

All in all, we grew to like the place a lot and had a great stay at the Adagio La Defense Esplanade.

Room Tip: Our room (304) was on the back side of the Aparthotel. It overlooked the cafe below, and the square...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank indianrediff

Reviewed 10 July 2013

This was a good stay at Paris. A metro stop is just steps away (less than 5 min walk) and there is a shopping center approximately 10 mins walking. Inside is a supermarket called Auchan, where you can buy food supplies if needed. The area seemed to be very safe, a lot of people head there in the morning to work. Line 1 (which is the one that you have to take to get to this place) is very safe even at night. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank IngridFP
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Have been to Adagio with my husband on an official trip. The place is very cozy. Rooms are spacious and from our room we were able to see Eiffel Tower. The staff and service is really great. Quatre Temps shopping center was pretty near and was walkable so it was quite accessible.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I found this hotel to be ideally located - not much far from a Metro station, in the central location of La Defense.

The room was clean and specious. Better part was that it had a small kitchenette also, which turned out to be very handy. It had an iron-board and a steam press, which again was very handy and I appreciate this part.

Rooms have a small balcony also, that helps you relax after a tough day's work.

However, there is access control to enter even the reception area, which was weird from my point of view.

Overall, it was a good place, worth value for money.

Room Tip: Pick up rooms at higher floors. Good view and lot of wind.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I seriously don't know what's wrong with the apartment hotels at La Defense but they are expensive and small. The most disturbing is that they are not clean as well.
Adagio is a little cleaner than the competition around but do not expect too much. For 1 night could work but do not plan a longer stay. In case for long stay they will charge you for everything possible extra as well.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank SJBK88
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I was looking for a last minute accommodation for our long weekend family trip to Paris and the Adagio apartment hotel simply fulfilled all our needs. We booked single bedroom apartment. In small living room there is a folding bed, separated practical kitchenette with microwave, refrigerator, kettle, cutlery, etc. The room equipment is already quite used, however all is clean and nicely renovated. The bathroom is in high standard, clean. Towels, shower gel and soap available.
The hotel location is simply great as there is a metro station just behind the corner bringing us to the 'must see' places within few minutes. Not being in this part of Paris before we also enjoyed discovering the neighboring La Defense area although it's not typical Paris for us.
Disadvantage in this location is parking if traveling by car like us. There are parking houses around but pretty expensive. I was lucky finding some parking at one of the streets.
Advantage - very quite area in the nights as it's only offices around.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KristianLanger
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel from May 21st to May 25th. Out of all of the hotels we stayed at during our trip in Europe, this was definitely the best one! There is only one negative comment that I have about it but I'll get to that later. Right now I'll go over the pros: the hotel is perfectly located; the La Defense area of Paris is modern, safe, beautiful, etc. Not only that, but the subway station is at a three minute walk from the lobby, from which you can get to the Arc de Triomphe in about 10 minutes and to the Eiffel Tower in about 15. The kitchen comes fully equipped with frying pans, cooking utensils, silverware, glasses, microwave, fridge, stove, dishwasher, coffee machine, etc. (pictures attached). Also, the staff is very friendly and helpful (they even printed a few documents for us for free), and they even managed to understand my bad French. There is a nice sense of security to this place, since you need your key card to come in and out of the building and to go up past the lobby on the elevator (even with your key card, the elevator always makes a stop at the lobby so that they can check if everything's okay real quick), and there is also a safe in your room. Lastly, the hotel is only a few steps away (or just one subway stop away) from a huge shopping mall called Les Quatre Temps, where you can find anything from Auchan (great place to get your groceries) to Zara, not to mention lots of nice restaurants for every taste you could crave.
The only negative comment I have about it is that whoever answers the hotel's e-mail is neither efficient nor friendly. At first, I used their website to reserve the room but it seems like it didn't like my international card, so they sent me an unfriendly e-mail saying that I needed to send them a new credit card to try or they would cancel my reservation. I sent them one (not happy about having to do that over e-mail) and the next thing I heard from them was that my reservation had been cancelled. They didn't even seem to care about it. So then I used a booking website where I had already used my card before with no problem and paid for the non-refundable fee so that I wouldn't have to pay at the hotel. After this, I sent them three e-mails asking them to please confirm my reservation and they never replied. The website's customer service department confirmed to me that the payment had gone through, but I still would've appreciated a confirmation from the hotel itself. They were very efficient at cancelling my reservation but not at confirming it.
Even so, I would most definitely stay at this hotel again and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wishes to stay at a nice apartment in a very nice area of Paris!

I always like to mention a few tips on my reviews, so here they go: the Esplanade de la Defense subway station does not have an escalator to go down to the platform, so be mindful of that if you're carrying heavy luggage or a stroller or something like that. There is an escalator but it only goes up. Also, be sure to exit the hotel, walk a few feet towards the subway until you find some stairs on your left, and go up to the esplanade; you'll enjoy a rare sight with both the Arc de Triomphe AND the Eiffel Tower on the horizon. Lastly, if it happens to rain while you're there, just exit the hotel but go right instead of left and turn right. You'll enter the underground tunnels (there are no roads on the esplanade, so cars need to take these tunnels) which take you to the subway station. You can also take the tunnels going back to the hotel. The entrance to the tunnels is probably four or five steps away from the entrance to the hotel, so it's very convenient.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family