“Stay Clear of this Hotel”

Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed 23 July 2012

in January 2012 we booked, paid for and received confirmation for a party of 7 to stay for 1 night in 4 rooms whilst attending Chester races on the 14th July 2012. When we rang, 10 days before our stay, to confirm that everything was in order we were informed that we had no booking and that the management "had only been at the hotel for 2 weeks" The person on the telephone was totaly disinterested and offhand and refused to accept their mistake or offer to help. It was only through our own efforts and that of the booking agency, that we obtained alternative accomodation, which, judging by by the reviews of this hotel, was far superior. Under no circumstances would we consider this Hotel for our trip in 2013.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank INASECDAD
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Dear Inasecdad;

First of I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I have had a look at the issues you did raise and I am sorry to inform you that you have been misinformed.
The new management started on the 17 April and since then we have been working really hard to improve the hotel and the quality of its service.
The issues you had were not caused by the hotel.
You used an agent that is not contracted with the hotel; when over a month before your arrival we contacted the agent you used for your booking they were unable/unwilling to pass onto us your contact details so that we could call you. We attempted on various occasions to obtain this information from your agent unsuccessfully (hence why your booking was not on our system).
I would suggest that you bring these points to the agent you used.
We have a customer care philosophy that is an integral part of the hotel and as such we regularly go the extra mile to help our guest; I am sorry that on this occasion we were unable to accommodate you.
Looking forward welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 July 2012

I booked and paid in full in January 2012 for a july 1 night break for a party of 7. I phoned 2 days ahead of the stay to confirm all was well - what a shock when I was told that there were no reservations for me. I had an email to confirm the booking and the moneywhad gone from my account. NO apology was made, in fact I was made to feel like a nuisance when I enquired what they were going to do about the situation! I contacted e bookers and they arranged alternative accomodation.

I did stay at Crabwall Manor last February and whilst I was not impressed still decided not to cancel the July booking - what a fool I was!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank christinacorr
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Dear Christinacoor;

First of I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.
The issues you had were not caused by the hotel.
I would suggest that you bring these points to the agent you used.
Looking forward welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

The manor is set in very nice grounds and is close to Chester City centre but as we paid £20 in 4 taxis I think I would rather have paid an extra £20 to stay in the centre of Chester. The rooms are dated and our bedroom was fairly clean but there were a few cobwebs and the blinds didn't stay down without some DIY. Two of the door knobs had also fallen off the doors in the hallway. The worst part of our stay was the very springy mattress and I had to sleep on top of the duvet to try and get some sleep which ended up being very interrupted. Overall, very over priced and disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anthony c
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed here on business for a week.We booked in until Sunday Morning but were asked to leave on Saturday.The manager said there was a mistake and promised to look into it but he didnt, not even an sorry.The rooms need serious upgade.The door handle came off in my hand one night and we had to move rooms.The showers dont work properly and the shower handle also came off the wall.The bar has no stock whatsoever, i have more in my fridge.It tells you a story when the bar staff pour coke and lemonade from plastic 2ltr bottles and the draft beer badges are missing.The pictures have been removed from the walls and not replaced.Had to ask the staff to put several bulbs in so you could see to play snooker.Serious drains problem as you enter, a strong smell of urine.In general poor.Much better places oin Chester to stay.

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Graham H
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We booked and paid for a two night break through a online service provider. We arrived late afternoon and our first impressions of the location was good the external grounds are lovely and the manor itself looks breathtaking from the outside. We we're cheked in , not even welcomed and made our way to our room ,large, dated but clean ,no hospitality pack so we didn't have a clue were the dinning room was or opening times ,asked at reception only to be told it was closed as they had a private function but we could get back in our car and go for a Carvery a mile down the road!,,
The noise all night was horrendous ,shouting screaming,and doors slamming until four in the morning then at six thirty a coach spent twenty minutes reversing in to the car park ,sounding his reverse warning followed by 40 passengers dragging there cases onto the coach, at this point we gave up had breakfast and decided to check out ,told the reception staff about lack of evening meal, noise etc and was told that the hotel had just been taken over so wasn't running at full speed. Wrote to the manager when returned home that was over two weeks ago, yet to receive a reply. All in all the worst break ever,

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank pam c
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Old out of town spa. Facilities excellent - good pool, sauna, breakfast, but the rooms and decor a bit tired. Would still recommend as a break.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 8 July 2012

we stayed there for one night in feburary 2007 and it was good the rooms were really nice and the food was excellent. We thouht we would come back and bring the grandparents,we made a mistake the rooms looked shabby they needed a bit of paint infact the whole of the hotel needed some TLC the carpets in the rooms were stained and worn away there were no proper toiletries available. we had our evening meal and it was pub grub last time we stayed it was a la carte there was hardly any beer available as the pumps were not working and to top it off a member of staff was heard swearing at another member of staff as she asked him to get a cup of coffee three times all in all i would not recommend staying here at the moment untill the hotels standards are back to the way were.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma L
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

Dear Emma L

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review; feedback is a vital and as such is taken very seriously.
In 2007 Crabwall Manor was a 5 stars hotel; we are now a 3 stars hotel (this is refelected in the price your paid).
I have spoken with my Restaurant Manager and the point your raised regarding a member of our staff is being investigated.
We will very soon start our refurbishment; I am very much looking forward welcoming you back then.

Kindly yours

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
The Chester Grosvenor
The Chester Grosvenor
#4 of 45 in Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester

Been to Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!