“Excellent is an understatement” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa

Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Excellent is an understatement”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

I have visited many ‘4 star’ rated Spa's but no experience compares to that received at the Crabwall Manor & Spa. As soon as you walk through the door, you are attended to by exceptionally friendly employees. The masseuse, Joanne was very welcoming and knowledgeable in the services she offered. She explained the entire process thoroughly, knew exactly what I wanted from the treatment and provided an all round extraordinary service. I got my money’s worth and more and I will not think twice to travel 30mins out of my way when I am in need of a relaxing and enjoyable spa break .

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Sheila A
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Dear Sheila A;

First of all I would like to thank you for your fantastic review.
Crabwall Manor Spa is a very well known for its quality; Joanne is a great asset to the hotel and we do not know what we would do without her!
On behalf of the hotel I would like once more to thank you.
Very much looking forward welcoming you back very soon.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
North East England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

Managed to get a great deal on the room price but if I'd paid the full price I may have been less happy with the room. The room was huge with two lovely comfy beds, a nice table & chairs and a huge bathroom, however the room & bathroom were in need of some updating, some of the tiles in the bathroom were cracked as was one of the sinks, and the bath had no plug. The bedroom was nicely decorated but again looked in need of some updating.
The rest of the hotel was also showing signs in places of needing an update, however there were workmen on site as we stayed (but caused no issues regarding our stay) so it looks like work is in progress.
All the staff we met were really friendly & helpful. The food was of a good quality and perfectly served for both breakfast & the evening meal.
The hotel is easy to reach from the motorway an a short drive into Chester City so makes a good base to visit the city, and is only about 10 minutes from the zoo.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Holsoholic
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear Holsoholic;

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Crabwall Manor is a property with a rich history and since our take over in April 2012 we have been working really hard so as to bring it back to its actual standing.
We have now started our £1.000.000 refurbishment and I am very much looking forward welcoming you back once this is done.

Kindly yours
Staffordshire Moorlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

We have throughly enjoyed our 2 night break at Crabwall Manor and Spa. The Manor is very impressive from the outside and set in lovely grounds. We had been warned that the hotel was about to under go a massive refurbishment, so the tired decor of the the room was no suprise, it was however warm, very spacious and clean. The staff made our stay as they were warm friendly and extremely helpful. The spa and gym facilities were excellent and convienient.
We dined in the resturant on our first evening with our friends, the menu offered a wide selection of chioces, the service and food were excellent.
The situation of the hotel in relation to visiting Chester and Cheshire Oakes was very convienient just a short drive or taxi journey to either. We look forward to staying at Crabwall Manor again soon.

Room Tip: The rooms are being refurbished in the near future so check if you can have one that has been refurb...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Emma P;

On behalf of the hotel and its staff I would like to thank you for your kind comments. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel. We have since our take over (april 2012) worked really hard so as to improve the hotel and service. It is always a delight to see that it is appreciated.
On behalf of all the staff at Crabwall Manor I would like to thank you.
Very much looking forward welcoming you back once our refurbishment is completed.
Kindly yours
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

We have just returned from a 2 night break at Crabwall and were pleasantly surprised with our stay after reading quite a few negative reports on trip advisor . From the outside the manor is set in gorgeous countryside and the buildings look impressive. We were given our key by pleasant reception staff to room 26 , the room as other guests had said about the decor in this hotel was a little tired and dated but this I felt was not a big issue, all part of the charicter and all was clean. The room was massive with a big double bed, settee ,single bed, table and 2 chairs and 2 dressing tables. The bathroom was also big, twin sinks, bath and a powerful shower. Our biggest issue with the room was the standard of pillows, very lightweight and thin. On our first afternoon we spent a couple of hours in the spa area which was fantastic, all very modern the heated pool, the sauna, the jacuzzi , steam room and gym. They also offer a full range of treatments. The staff in there were very pleasant and there is no need to take a towel as they are provided as are free lockers.That evening we had a meal at the restaurant, the food was excellent along with the service, our waitress was a young girl who served us enthusiastically with a smile. The breakfast was the same, very good and tasted fresh, from the Danishes to the cooked items. Overall we would definitely recommend and return to his hotel. Yes it is a bit dated but there is currently a big refurb happening but I hope this does not take away from the character. As i have previously said, there are plenty of bad reports on here for this hotel for things like poor decor or spiders in the room, god knows how you stop spiders coming in??? But look beyond these very small issues and you will have a great stay.Oh and I would be interested to know if this hotel is haunted as something very weird happened in our room (26) that had spooked us, truthfully!

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear 187053Pete666;

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Feedback is a vital part of our business and as such is taken seriously.
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us.
I am very much looking forward welocming you back very soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

I have visited the spa at Crabwell Manor a couple times for treatments with Joanne Wilcox, my experience their was fantastic Joanne is a lovely woman, she makes you feel so relaxed an welcome, looking forward to future treatments an maybe an overnight stay at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Angela118
Dear Angela118;

I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding Joanne.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Crabwall Manor and at its Spa.
I am very much looking forward welcoming you back very soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Stayed here with family members for a night.

As mentioned the decor was date but th place is due for refurbishment and the shabbiness is part of its charm. The rooms are huge, and generally clean (though there was a red wine stain on the carpet) and the shower wasn't very powerful (room 9). However the room was warm and the bed comfortable.

The staff were professional and polite at all times.

We made use of the pool which was great, and me and my sister had a very relaxing facial in the morning.

The meals were very tasty and good value.

Would return again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Dear Anne S;

I would like to thank you for your review; your kind words regarding the staff have been much appreciated.
I am pleased your enjoyed the hotel and its facilities.
Very much looking forward welcoming you back.

Llanelli, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

My partner and four colleagues have just spent 2 nights at the above hotel on a business trip. I joined the group as a guest for the weekend. The setting, building, reception and lounge looked quite impressive at first glance and we had a warm welcome from the receptionist. We were initially impressed with our suite (room 10 in the main building) consisting of a large, cosy, bedroom, sitting room and bathroom. The decor however was tired, dated and though reasonably clean was much in need of redecoration. The shower 'dribbled' and the wooden sitting room window was rotten and would not close tightly, thus allowing a cold draught to enter the room. The bed however was very comfortable and we both slept well. Breakfast had the usual combination of buffet table as well as served hot meals although three of us were served cold bacon.

The overall guest experience, however, was generally poor, despite the efforts of the polite, apologetic though disempowered staff. Apart from three large sofas, taken up by other guests, there were not enough seats in the lounge area resulting in us having to carry chairs from other parts of the building in order to sit together. We were directed to another unattended bar, at the other end of the building, on the first night in order to resolve this problem but it was locked on the second night resulting in us carrying chairs around again.

Then there was the dining room 'food' .......On Friday evening, six of us dined, six of us ordered different meals and six of us felt obliged to complain. Three soups had to be returned to the kitchen because they were cold, three people tasted the palma ham and were so repulsed by it they rejected it. The same three all had stomach upsets some hours later. Coincidence? Possibly. The sea bass consisted of a limp,flat, tasteless fillet half the size of my palm and our requests for slight variations on the menu were either forgotten or ignored when the food arrived. They also ran out of the that wine that we had ordered. When we complained, the young waiter, although extremely polite and apologetic, appeared initially helpless to make amends and there was no manager on duty. Despite feeling compelled to complain, we really felt for him. He was later allowed to offer us free deserts and a round of drinks.

The setting, infrastructure and location is already there as well as some polite and friendly staff so it should not take much to improve this this potentially idyllic hotel. More re-decoration (before hiring some rooms to guests) more effective stock planning, better seating arrangements .... and some words of advice to the chef..... would help. In the meantime, if you're thinking of staying at this hotel, eat out, or bring a flask and some sandwiches.

Room Tip: Caught a glimpse of a room near the Spa. Seemed much nicer.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank YoohooWales
Dear YoohooWales;

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Feedback is a vital part of our business and as such is taken very seriously.

Please be reassured that your comments have been passed onto the appropriate departments and that any issue you did raise will be investigated.
I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your diner with us; reviews for our new head chef have been very positive so far and I would like to apologise if on that occasion we were unable to meet your expectations.

Our £1.000.000 refurbishment has started and completion is due for Mach 2013.
I am very much looking forward welcoming you back in a near future and would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our staff.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Abode Chester
Abode Chester
#18 of 45 in Chester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,966 reviews

Been to Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!