“Give them a chance!”

Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My boyfriend booked us into the hotel as a surprise on my birthday. We arrived on Friday and checked into our room Unfortunately the TV didn't work and there had obviously been a problem with it previously, as there was another TV on the desk. This wouldn't ordinarily be such a huge problem but as I am expecting I was unable to sit in the bar all evening. The receptionist (who seemed to be doing all sorts of different jobs!) tried to get it sorted. Unfortunately when we returned to our room it still wasn't fixed, and a young man came to sort it out. It became apparent, couldn't be fixed, and it seemed to be an issue with the signal as a result of the builders outside.
Due to the Grand National, the whole hotel was fully booked. But, everyone bent over backwards and found us two alternative rooms. They weren't great, but they had working televisions. We were transferred into room 18 which was actually quite nice, despite having twin beds. These were just pushed together and we got on without any further complaint.
Room 7 (our original room) and room 3 (the other alternative) were a bit ropey, but I'm sure these will be beautiful after the revamp!
Dinner was fantastic. The food could not be faulted. Unfortunately they ran out of steak, meaning my boyfriend had to choose something different, but this wasn't the end of the world!
The pool and leisure facilities are absolutely wonderful!
Ultimately they are clear upon booking that this hotel is under refurbishment, and is probably the reason for the discount.
The service was outstanding! Everybody was very friendly and helpful, and our complaint was dealt with swiftly. I felt for the staff due to quite a few people complaining, which has led to me writing this review. I wouldn't want people to be put off going but you need to bear in mind that the hotel is being refurbished.
We would go back due to the fact that we did enjoy our stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank EmLouAndJohn
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Dear EmLouAndJohn;

On behalf of the hotel and its staff I would like to thank you for your review and kind words.
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us; your understanding for any issue encountered by our refurbishment is very much appreciated.
Our £1.000.000 refurbishment will be completed at the end of June and we are very much looking forward welcoming you back very soon.
Kindly yours

Write a ReviewReviews (1,245)

Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed at Crabwall Manor on 7 March. Arrived a bit early but were taken straight to our room. They room was quite dated but I felt it matched the style of the hotel and we were very happy with it. It was also very clean. The bathroom was enormous and the bath was huge, my husband, who is 6 foot 2 was even able to fit in it. Had a swim and sauna at the spa, which was very enjoyable. We didnt eat in the restaurant at night but had breakfast there in the morning. The breakfast was cooked fresh and was lovely and the staff were very attentive and friendly. All in all we found our stay at Crabwall very enjoyable and we will definately be back after the refurbishment.

Dear Misty22016;

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your kind comments.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us.
Very much looking forward welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

We have stayed at Crabwall Manor before and were really looking forward to our Easter break but what a disappointment we booked through hotel.com and got a good deal and on arrival we were given room number seven i thought maybe we were allocated a non refurbished room due to this ,but the room wasn't good at all the smell of drains outside the door should have said it all. The tap in the sink didn't work the bathroom door wouldn't close and when we pushed it fairly hard it vibrated terribly the toilet didn't flush properly and the bulbs in the vanity unit didn't work ,the window wouldn't close properly so no security as we had scaffolding right outside and when I tried to plug my hair dryer in the socket didn't work, this is not what I expect of a four star hotel and certainly not what we have experienced before . We had asked for a double room but got two beds pushed together not great for a romantic break ! The next morning breakfast I ordered the full monty without the fried bread what I got was bacon a sausage ,some cold baked beans and half a grilled tomato , when I enquired at to lack of egg I was brought a fried egg on a separate plate no mushrooms or hash browns as listed on the menu as a full monty but I didn't want to make a fuss so we ate up and went to check out , only to find our great deal didn't include breakfast and got a bill for £28 for my terrible breakfast or should I say lack of it ! We have emailed the hotel but from reading other trip advisers comments I doubt we will get any satisfaction. I have never written on trip adviser but we were so unhappy with the hotel on this occasion I felt I needed to share my experience with other users. Please wait until the refurbishment is finished because it really is normally a beautiful hotel but its a bit like faulty towers at the moment.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank RobynDave
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear RobynDave;

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Feedback is a vital part of our business and as such is taken very seriously.
I also would like to apologise for any disappointment or issue you encountered during your stay.
We are in the process of fully refurbishing all of our 48 rooms and hopefully by your next visit you will be able to enjoy one of those.
Once again pleas do accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion and we are very much looking forward welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

Booked here for a wedding and really enjoyed my stay. Had a massive room,biggest I've ever stayed in with a lounge area. Spotlessly clean,comfortable bed and nice views from my room. Staff really friendly and worked hard to ensure the wedding went as smooth as possible. My only complaints would be breakfast was not up to scratch as in very small and not alot,tv in room was broke but only there 1 night and as it was a wedding would not have used it anyway. No hot water in the bathroom which did get fixed quickly. Overall i had a good stay and would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear ElleJay15;

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any issue you encountered. Our new breakfast chef had just started last week and I am convinced that by your next visit you will see a big difference.
I also would like to thank you for your comments regarding the maintenance problem you encountered during your stay; please be re-assured that since your visit these have been resolved,
We are very much looking forward welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

We had a lovely break at this hotel over Easter Weekend.
I was nervous about it as my partner booked it and when I looked on here there where some bad comments.
However I was not disappointed at all.
The room was HUGE with a massive bath. It was quite outdated in decor but the bed was big, comfortable and the room was adequately equipped.
The pool and hot tub was lovely (if the pool was a bit cold for me).
We ate at the hotel restaurant on the Friday which was a lovely meal and good value for money.
We will be visiting again and there where definitely thoughts of a wedding there ....

Room Tip: Room 32 - large if a little dated in the decor
1  Thank JennaB542

Dear JennaB542;
What can I say but thank you?
I am please to see that you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities.
Your comments go a long way boosting staff morale.
I am very much looking forward welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Booked to go here instead of another destinationand what a mistake. Refurbishment was happening yo which i had no knowledge and i got a non refurbished room with an excellent view of the plastic rubbish chute,scaffolding ,and rubbish skips and bins. Our room was quite large and fairly clean with a comfy bed and decent beddingbut those were the only good points about the room.The rest was a complete shambles wth VERYnoisy floorboards only one bedside cabinet(very frustrating) switches at the side of the bed that you would think worked lights but did absolutely nothing and a VERY shabby bathroom that the light above the mirror or the shaver socket did not work. Back in the bedroom the valances over the curtains were hanging down and the funiture was well worn and tatty including the bed base.On friday 29th march there was a fire and ok these things happen but again what a shambles We had just finished our starters in the retaurant when the alarm went off and i was first at the main doors where i stopped briefly to check my fiance was behind me (as anyone would) when i was shouted at VERY rudely and aggressively by a female member of staff to :GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT: which i did but once out side we were left freezing as we were only dressed in thin clothing due to being at dinner before after around another female member of staff LAURA insistd we were given robes from the spa and a headcount was done after 20 minutes of us all standing in the freezing cold on the car park which i found astonishing that they waited so long . Once back inside some 90 minutes later around 9.20 by now we were informed that we could not have our ordered meals as the gas had been turned off but thank god ther were some staff who cared about the guests. Chips and sandwiches WEREserved and a drink on the house but i was so angry at this shambles i refused the offer so late at night . So would i stay there again- NO THANK YOU

Room Tip: if you decide to go INSIST on a refurbished room

Dear Steve A;

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay by the fire that took place on Friday.
I also would like to apologise if you felt that our staff handled you in a rude manner.
We are very proud of our staff and comments are generally very positive; on this occasion the emergency was genuine and their priority was your safety. On a positive note I am glad to see that you decided to stay 2 more nights after this incident. I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed the flowers awaiting in your room on Saturday and the free 3 courses meal offered to you as an apology.
Once again on behalf of the hotel and its staff please do accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Very much looking forward welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Myself and a friend of mine went to Crabwell Manor over Easter weekend for a spa break. We had booked through spaseekers and it was our first visit.
On arrival the building looks very grand and we were really excited about our relaxing couple of days.
Reception isnt sign posted well and jumping ahead, takes a while to check out as its so small that there only ever seemed to be one person on reception.
The spa was fab.... 10 out of 10! It was clean and the staff were very polite and helpful.... although they did spend a fair amount of time whispering behind the counter which was a little off putting and made me feel somewhat insecure.
Our treatments were great.... we were so relaxed. I would highly recommend going for the facial.
We had lunch prior to our treatments and the portions were huge.... very tasty and again i would recommend.
After our treatments we went to our room.... big letdown. The rooms are worn, tired and very much indeed or modernisation. Little things, like the curtains hanging wrong and the walls marked. I understand from other reviews that there is a big update/modernisation happening this year.... hurry up as it let the entire stay down.
Our TV worked when it felt like it and the reception of the channels was very poor so we hardly bothered.
Part of our package was a 3 course evening meal which was (along with the spa) the highlight of our stay. It blew my expectations. It was delicious. The serving staff were very polite and helpful also,
We relaxed after in the bar and were very pleased with our meal.
Morning came and we headed for breakfast.... we both went for the full English. Disappointing! The menu described the full English as' made to order', perhaps several hours earlier. The beans and mushrooms were clearly cooked hours ago and left to stand; the sausages were pale as if under cooked. We were so looking forward to a nice big breakfast and our expectations were so high after our amzing evening meal, this was such a letdown. I even told one of the servers why i had left so much of my breakfast and she said 'oh, it’s not to your standard?' Of all the things to say!
So.... if my breakfast had have met expectations I would have rated this 'very good' but it was one big letdown.
Overall, I can see the potential in Crabwell Manor but i won’t be returning until it’s been updated.
Thanks for an average stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thumbsup186347

Dear Thumbsup;

I would like to thank you for this review.
Your kind words regarding the hotel and its staff are very much appreciated.
I have passed your comments regarding breakfast to our head chef and hopefully by your next visit any issue you encountered will be resolved.
Crabwall Manor is now under refurbishment and all your decors comments are very much appreciated.
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any issue you encountered and would like to thank you for your constructive comments.
We are very much looking forward welcoming you back in a near future.
Kindly yours

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
The Chester Grosvenor
The Chester Grosvenor
#3 of 45 in Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester

Been to Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!