Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Bawn Lodge(Chester)
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
1,308 results
All reviewsjoanne wilcoxcolonic hydrotherapymaster suitegirls nightmassive bathroomsteam roomchanging roomssuperior roomlight lunchmy partnerlovely hotelwalk in showercheshire oakslounge areawedding venueafternoon teaevening meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I recently purchased a group on for colonic treatment to.... "give it a go!" I will never look back.

I feel revitalised skinnier and healthier. To be honest I was feeling a bit nervous but Joanne is such a lovely person! She is friendly and relaxes you instantly! X

Anyone who suffers with bloating, digestion problems, ibs etc you need to give this a go! It will change your life!

In one word ...... amazing!

• Stayed: May 2014
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear vj52410;

Many thanks for this review.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with Joanne.
Very much looking forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I visited crabwall manor with my mum for her birthday as a treat. We had treatments in the spa and stayed over the night.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful towards us.
We ate twice in the spa cafe, which was reasonably priced and very fresh and tasted lovely.
We also ate in the restaurant, the food was very tasty, but the portions slightly small. Also the drinks are very highly priced!
The bedroom was huge and very clean. The hotel is abit of a maze and the radiators through out the corridors could do with turning on, as its rather cold walking around the building. We had a lovely relaxed day in the spa, chilling in the Jacuzzi and around the pool. Both left feeling fully relaxed and revitalized

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Littleshow;

Many thanks for taking the time to write this review.
I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your time and would like to thank you for your positive comments.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

If being treated well and feeling a little bit pampered are important to you, you should avoid this place like the plague. I have been absolutely amazed by the dreadful standards of this hotel, and especially with the rudeness of one female staff member in the Leisure Club, and by the way in which my subsequent complaint was dealt with by the General Manager.

Essentially, I went along to enquire about a membership as it had been reported that a refurishment had taken place. First of all, the activities room has evidently been left off the improvement plans and remains grubby, damp and smelly. It has peeling wallpaper, brown damp marks on the ceiling, and spider webs all over the windows -it makes you feel unclean just looking at it! The refurbishment appears to have been partial and superficial and I would certainly not pay good money for any kind of spa break or pamper weekend at this hotel.

Nevertheless, because it is convenient for me, I felt I could overlook the activities room and I asked the young lady at the Leisure reception about membership prices, as I understood there was an offer of no joining fee. She told me that the offer had ended, which I was disappointed about - I'd been unable to join earlier as I'd had multiple fractures and was waiting sign-off from a trauma review before being allowed back to the gym. Under these circumstances, I asked who I would need to speak to to see if there might perhaps be room for negotiation.

The young lady in question seemed strangely hostile and her whole body language took me quite by surprise. She gave me an unsmiling and curt four word answer, accompanied by folded arms and a quite unnecessary fixed stare: 'there is no negotiation'! I was a little taken aback, but managed to ask again 'Yes, but if I did want to discuss it, who would I need to speak to?'. She replied (and I quote verbatim because I wrote her reply down in front of her at the desk) 'you can speak to whoever you want to but it won't change anything'!! Wow - it has been a long, long time since anybody spoke to me like that and I was completely taken aback. I had asked twice, and each time her reply had been evasive and hostile.

I came home and emailed the General Manager and his reply also amazed me. He was defensive of his staff, said he was proud of his team, and seemed not to take on board anything that I was saying. His 'apology' as far as it went, was merely to say that he was sorry 'if the welcome was not as friendly as it should have been', which seemed to completely play down the rudeness I had experienced, and offered little by way of understanding and goodwill that you would normally expect from an expensive hotel. They do say that service standards of any organisation are led from the top down, and I would say that this incident proves exactly that. Just not acceptable standards of service in any way - it only got one star from me because I couldn't award zero!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Pippalonglegs
Louis M, General Manager at Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Mrs F.
I am disappointed by your review.
You asked a friendly and polite member of staff for a "special" membership rate and that no admin fee be applied.
We politely explained that we could not do that as it would be unfair to other members.
I am sorry to see that you then decided to threaten the hotel by email. The member of staff you do mention was nothing but polite and courteous towards you (statement verified by various witnesses).
Not getting what you ask for is no reason for such a rude behavior and unfounded review.
Regards

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Let's start with the positives - and there are quite a few.
Crabwall Manor is an attractive historic building set in well landscaped grounds easily accessible to Chester City Centre with a ten minute drive to Sealand Park and Ride. Tastefully extended to include very pleasant spa facilites the recent expensive make-over also provided comfortable, quality furnishings.
So ... what let's it down?
Well service isn't up to scratch for a start.The hotel is a bit of a maze/warren so to be told at reception to go up the stairs behind the fireplace and follow the signs wasn't particularly helpful. Neither were the signs come to think of it. I would have thought that an alleged £4.5m refurb (or so we were told by a staff member) might have had the foresight to include proper signs directing us to room numbers rather than photocopied A4 sheets cut in half and stuck onto firedoors with BluTack. The hotel was warm ... until we got through the firedoor to the short corridor to our room where the radiators were turned off, as were the radiators in our suite where the open bathroom window guaranteed a chilly opening to our stay.
There were two patios outside the suite. One was inaccessible and the photocopied A4 sign blu-tacked to it apologised for this. The other door opened but the wood was damp and swollen and presumably in attempts to yank the door open someone had cracked the glass in the door. In fact damp seemed to be a bit of a problem here but the "cure" was the worst I have encountered in over thirty years advising on historic buildings. (Note to manager/building maintenance staff - a filthy towel stuffed underneath the threshold/step of a door does NOT stop damp. It does however look frankly disgusting and really shouldn't have been left there for weeks/months)
The bar was like a morgue, no music, no atmosphere, no customers so we drove to a nearby pub (see separate review about the Boat House at Parkgate)
Our second night we were so tired after a long days work that we decided to brave the bar and have just a snack if needed. It was needed but the meals served to another two guests should have warned us what was to come, and how long we would have to wait for ours.
I've never worked in a commercial kitchen so I'm unaware of trade secrets but frankly in a hotel where very few guests were eating (and all of those who were had to ask how much longer their meals would be) I really can't understand how a panini and a salad can possibly take over 45 minutes to "prepare". And the word prepare is used loosely here.
I don't think I can last remember when the warmest part of my snack was the salad. I imagine that the limp, dry, brown leaves may once have been wet, green and crisp but the bag that it obviously came in could have been opened maybe two days ago and was thus well past its best.
Frankly when food is this bad its not worth complaining.
In the two days that we were there, it was not obvious that a single senior member of staff was present to oversee the running of the place, check that things were right, put them right if they weren't.
We informed the receptionist when we checked out that they wouldn't see us again and we were invited to email the manager. I shall duplicate this report in an email to him and will be interested to see his response but I would never recommend anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms in a different hotel would be a good idea
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DaveBPWolverhampton

Dear DaveBPWolverhampton;
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Feedback is vital part of our business and as such is taken very seriously.
I also would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any issue you encountered.
I am disappointed that on this occasion we were unable to produce our usual level of service standards.
We have just completed our refurbishment and are still awaiting for our new signage to be delivered; until then we felt that a basic signage would be helpful.
Unfortunately you stayed with us during the Chester Races period. As such nearly all of our guests were out in town to enjoy this lovely event. I imagine why the hotel atmosphere was a bit of a let down.
I have spoken with my Head Chef and head Housekeeper; please be assured that all the issues you have encountered are now being resolved and where necessary refresher training is taking place.
Once again on behalf of the hotel and I please do accept my apologies.
I hope that you will visit us soon again and appreciate that your comments were taken seriously.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of further help.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just got back from having a girly weekend at the Crabwall Manor/Spa hotel. We had a fabulous time. We stopped in rooms 25/26/27 at the spa end of the hotel. The rooms were lovely, clean and spacious. The ladies who did our treatments were really lovely and friendly. Our stay was Bed, Lunch, Dinner & Breakfast. all the meals we had was lovely and plenty full, all served on very hot plates. we had an excellent weekend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Fiona P;

Thank you so much for this lovely review.
I am please that you enjoyed our hotel.
On behalf of the hotel and I thank you.
Looking forward welcoming you back soon.