“Dreadful Service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Chester UK
“Dreadful Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

RESTAURANT REVIEW
Called with family for Sunday lunch (six covers).
Apart from being totally overpriced @ £24.99 the service was the worst I've experienced in a long time.
After waiting for 25 minutes I went to the bar in the absence of any staff to purchase a drink. There was no service behind the bar although eventually somebody came over and served me.
After mentioning the length of our wait the lady promised to send over the manager. Needless to say he did not materalise and I had to find another member of staff.
Eventually our order was taken with a offer to send over the bread.
This did not arrive for ten minutes with our drinks taking even longer (empty glases not taken away!).
The starters finally arrived which were fine and then another ten minute break before the table was cleared and another for the mains to arrive.
The staff did not return hence we were unable to obtain any sauces/condiments.
My wife began coughing although no staff around for water. I walked around the whole restaurant and nobody in sight. Staff then came from the kitchen and promised to send the manager across.
The manager promptly denied we had been ignored and blamed a lack of staff today. He did however offer a drink or free coffee. After committing to provide water and personally look after us for the remainder of the meal no water arrived without a further prompt.
Deserts were served and we were left again so we promptly departed without coffee.
It was very apparent that a number of tables were unhappy as the table next to us complained and said on their way out that the service was very poor.
Overall the food was adequate although certainly not worth £24.99.
I eat out a number of times a week and this is beyond doubt the worst service I have experienced for a long time.
We passed no staff on our way out and the receptionist (main face of any hotel) completely ignored us as we walked past.
It was Sunday lunch and we were not in a hurry although the service spoiled what was designed to be a leisurely afternoon.
I cannot comment on the hotel itself although I notice that many have left less than favourable comments.

• 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

Intention was a relaxing family break, reality was anything but.
We were shown to our room. Perfectly adequate. 1 x double bed, 2 x single beds for the kids. So far, so good.
There was a wedding the same day / night.
Our room was directly above the area being used as a beer garden / overspill smoking area for the wedding reception. Coupled with the unreasonable volume level of the wedding reception music, any thoughts of a peaceful night were evapourating fast.
So, a call to request the appearance of the duty manager. Duly appeared and agreed that the noise was unacceptable. At our request we were moved to another room at around 23.30. Scooped up two very tired children and made for a different part of the hotel. Only very marginally better in that the music was SO loud that in fact no part of the hotel would have been peaceful.
Morale of the story - make enquiries if there is a function booked during your intended stay. You shouldn't have to but it will ruin your stay if you don't.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 June 2011
Dear Graeme111,

Having investigated this matter I note that you have failed to point out that the duty manager dealt with the issue straightaway and on checkout gave you 50% of your bill for the inconvenience which was to your satisfaction in addition to moving you to another room. It is disappointing that you only gave one side of the story.

Gregory Gourishankar

Travellers are raving about these Mollington hotels

Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

We had booked a 2 night stay at the Mollington and had high hopes having read up about it on their website. Unfortunately we experienced many of the same problems as other reviewers - our room was not ready when we arrived (around 3.20pm) and we had to wait over 40 minutes, only to be shown to a room that was dusty, with food on the floor and dirty sheets. Needless to say I wasn't prpared to stay there! We were then moved to a much nicer room, after a further wait, although it did spoil the start of our mini-break.
The food in teh restaurant was lovely, and the waitress was very pleasant - much more so that the team on reception where only one lady seemed to show a genuien interest.
We heard other guests complaining which was a shame, as the hotel showed real potential of being a fantastic place to stay,
The area was lovely, and for anyone else who fancies Chester I would definately recommend it as a city, just perhaps wait until the Mollingtong gets its act together and has a refurb!!!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

I booked and confirmed an 80th Birthday Lunch for my mother on the basis of previous good experience - albeit a number of years ago.
We arrived at 1 to find they weren't expecting us - no table set - and that we were the only ones booked in that day (a Friday). Failing to see the warning signs we stayed. After 25 minutes I asked the waiter for the menus - 'Oh I thought you had pre-ordered' was the reply - 'I'll check with the chef I have the right ones!' Menus duly appeared and orders placed with the promise we would be taken to our table when the starters were ready. We were and they weren't! A 20 minute wait ensued. Food was a mixture of ok and poor. Water was provided and the wine list offered; 20 minutes later ( a recurring theme!) said wine list appeared. The nearly 60 minute wait (3*20 minutes!) for the main courses was no surprise and they must have thought we enjoyed the food ( which was reasonable in the main) as they left the plates for us to admire for, guess how long. yes 20 minutes after we had all finished! Had it not been a set menu (£24.95 - though they could have added RPI the time it took) we would have escaped then before riga-mortis set in, but we stayed for the deserts (passable) which were served by a second waiter - presumably the first had finished his shift. After 2 hours 45 minutes we finished desert (good job it wasn't busy we would be there yet!); my 80 year old mother having suffered a hard chair with undue good humour all that time. On complaining at Reception we were offered a miserly 20% discount after I had explained why I was not happy - it had not occurred to them to ask.
We will not be back - ever. Sad to see how a once excellent hotel has degenerated to this comical level.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 June 2011
Dear MikeB96,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. May I take this oppurtunity to apologise for the food and service not living upto your expectation on this occasion. I can assure you that I have taken approprate action to ensure there is no re occurence.
We pride ourselves in the quality and standard of food we produce and I am sorry this was not the case on the day.
I would like to invite you back to the Mollington Banastre Hotel so that we could change your perception of the hotel.

Leeds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my partner over the bank holiday weekend at the end of May. First impressions were not bad; we were expecting an appalling room after reading some of the other reviews on here, but our room was actually very nice. Some other reviewers on here have mentioned how thin the walls are - this is definitely true - we could almost hear next door's entire conversation.

Before arrival we were told that we could check in at 2pm. On arrival at the check in desk (at 2:20) we were told the room was not ready yet, and we would have to go back at 3:15pm. The staff were not very apologetic about this at all. 3:15pm came and went, and we eventually got into our room at 3:35pm (again, no apology). We had therefore wasted an afternoon of our weekend away. In addition, when we checked in we were not given any information on meal times/facilities etc, and this information was not anywhere to be seen in the room either.

We spent what was left of the afternoon in the pool area. At first glance, the pool and surrounding area look lovely. However, the changing rooms were an absolute disgrace. I doubt they had been cleaned in weeks, and this was very off-putting, The pool was particularly cold - the temperature gauge was not working. In addition, the hotel has a no children in the pool policy after 5pm - this was not adhered to.

The next day the cleaner came to sort out our room at 9:30am - this is, of course, not an unreasonable time. However, we were not ready to leave our room, but there was no 'do not disturb' sign available to use. The cleaner then said she would come back later that morning to clean, but never turned up. We were left with no toilet roll, coffee or water, and had to go and ask for these at reception. We were told they would be delivered to our room. An hour later we went back to chase this up and realised the woman on reception had done absolutely nothing about it. We had no apology for this.

On the second morning we went to have breakfast in the hotel at 9:35am (breakfast was supposed to be served until 10am). We were met with very suspicious looks from one of the members of staff, who proceeded to ask us for our names and room number (as if she didn't believe we were staying at the hotel). She then proceeded to tell us that there were no tables set up for us because they weren't expecting anymore diners after 9:30 (even though breakfast is served until 10!). We felt incredibly unwelcome, and this was the final straw for us.

The general service we received from the staff was second rate. Everything we asked seemed like far too much effort, and we felt incredibly unwelcome at times. We are a young couple (25 and 26), and wondered if the poor service we received was a result of this.

The hotel is not all bad. The lobby/bar area is very nice, and the gardens are very picturesque. As lovely as these are, they cannot make up for the absolutely shocking service we received from the staff.

I would not go back to this hotel if I was paid to do so!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank smudge300
Dear Smudge 300,
Thank you for your comments with regards to your stay at the Mollington Banastre Hotel. Having throughly investigated I would like to apologise to you for the shortcomings experienced during your stay.
Reception staff have been put through a process of re training to ensure that they continually update gusets at check in if there are any delays and to inform all guests of the hotels facilities. I am sorry on this occasion this was not the case.
Tha manager of the leisure has instigated new procedures in the changing rooms to ensure cleanliness is constantly monitored. The pool policy for children is 6.30pm and not 5pm. The temperature in the pool is constantly monitored and recorded to ensure that the temperature is a constant 30 degrees. I have checked the temperature s recordrd during the May Bank holiday weekend and the fluctaute betwwen 30 and 31 degrees. As these temperature were taken as per the requirement the guage was in good working order.
i must apologise for the missing items in your room and the housekeeping Dept have taken action to ensure there is no repetition, of this in the future.
You are absolutely correct about breakfast time on holidays being fro 8am 10am and a table shopuld have been made available for you immediately, I apologise that this was not the case. It is common practise for the breakfast staff to ask for your name and room number to ensure that all breakfast inclusive guests are catered for.
It is without question that all your points are being addressed and actioned and should you choose to return to Mollington Banastre hotel & Spa, Chester in the future I am sure you will find no reason to be disappointed.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

We had a really good time at this hotel.

The main bar and restaurant area were really pleasant and our room though smallish was perfectly adequate and very clean. We used a Buy a Gift voucher and I honestly don't think it made any difference to our room allocation as some others have suggested..

We had a meal in the restaurant and it was really lovely. The restaurant looks out onto the gardens and we were delighted to see a woodpecker on a nearby tree whilst enjoying our starter.
Breakfast was a bit cold on the Saturday morning which was disappointing but was much better on the Sunday when there seemed to be a lot more guests in residence due to a wedding party.

On the Saturday night we spent time in the lounge area listening to the pianist - now you won't get that at the local Premier Inn!!

I can't comment on the Leisure facilities as we didn't have time to use them.

The staff were hard working and friendly and a lot seemed to be local.
I have to agree with a previous reviewer though who found the gentlemen on reception (I think he's the general manager) a little bit less friendly than the rest of the staff. Though I don't think he was unfriendly but rather a little bit more 'stiff'' with his customer service. He needs to be a bit more personable in my opinion.

This hotel is well placed for Chester and we found some reasonable priced car parks so it was not necessary to use taxis.

I really enjoyed our stay here and would definately return.

Dear Zanidip

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Mollington Banastre on your recent vist to Chester.

It sounds as though you enjoyed your stay with us and your positve feedback is very much appreciated.

We will be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

Somewhat apprehensive, having read some of the reviews for this hotel, but could not fault it. Staff were all very friendly. The bedroom was of a decent size, clean and comfortable. Did not eat in the hotel at night, but the breakfasts were great. Ideally situated for visiting Chester and would suggest taking a taxi rather than the car into the city. Would certainly return.

Room Tip: Ground floor in the 60's