“Champagne Afternoon Tea”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I have just arrived home from a lovely afternoon at the Mollington Banastre Hotel and Spa. I had purchased a voucher of the Living Social Site for a Champagne Afternoon Tea. After my purchase, I came across a few reviews which were a bit concerning, but had already purchased the voucher, so decided to just make the best of it when we booked. The afternoon consisted of a very pleasant welcome at reception, directions to a lovely sitting are looking over the gardens, a very pleasant waiter who served two very nice glasses of bubbly, followed by one pot of tea and one pot of coffee ( have read other reviews that this came too quick and maybe you might like to request that the tea and coffee comes after you have finished your bubbly ) My husband said it was a very good cup of tea and my coffee was lovely. The food consisted of a few fingers of sandwiches, a nice ham, cheese and tomato and smoked salmon, maybe a bit basic but fresh and tasty enough. Four slices of a ginger type cake and four slices of a lemon cake, not home made but lovely and moist, two good size scones ( tasting very much on parr with some of our creamed scones that we have had on many a visit to Cornwall ) these were home made with a very good helping of jam and clotted cream! Also served were two extra small jars of jam and plenty of butter ( brilliant instead of having to ask for more! Didnt need the extra jam though ) The service was very good and we were delighted with the whole experience. We paid £19 for the Living Social Voucher and felt it was worth every penny for the relaxing afternoon, but I believe the full price is £39 and I know I wouldnt have liked to have paid that but maybe some other people would.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donna W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,745)

Reviewed 3 July 2012

On arrival I was informed that there had been some mistake with the dates of my booking, 2 nights for a family of 5 at £160/night. We arrived on the Wednesday to be told we were expected the night before, I asked if there was a room available on the Thursday and the receptionist said "yes, we are really quite" (having stayed there I can now see why). 2 weeks after I returned home I noticed that Brook Millington had charged me for the 3rd night after the receptionist had promised me they wouldn't. I have just spent the last 3 weeks trying to get the money back only to be told

a) the manager will be in touch
b) we don't deal with this type of complaint at Hotel level
c) we don't deal with this at head office level, get in touch with the hotel
d) The money is on it's way
e) It's been paid by BACS transfer and will be with you in 5 working days
f) you are not getting anything, you didn't cancel within 24 hours of staying.

The hotel itself was ok actually, although the spa was poor, the pool floor is broken and is a danger to the public and the showers have not been updated for a long time and are dirty. The rooms we had were clean and pleasant if a little basic.

If you want to stay in a 2 or 3 star B&B, stay here, if you want to stay in a 4 star hotel then go and find one.........this isn't it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear Ian L,

Your comments on this site seem to be rather different from what actually happened at the hotel. It was quite clear that the confirmation on your blackberry was for the day before, unfortunately our cancellation policy is 24 hours prior to the day of arrival not the day after arrival.

I am glad you found the hotel to your liking. We are also undergoing an extensive planned maintenance programme where the points you have raised are being addressed.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We re-booked to go to this hotel for a 2 night stay, as we came to the hotel in 2000 and got engaged there, so the hotel has lovely memories for us.

Unfortunatley, the hotel was experiencing problems with their boiler and the room and lounge areas were really cold, so much so that we had to wear our coats. There was no hot running water and we could not have a shower. The windows wouldn't close and cold air was rattling through the room.

We complained to Reception and we received a full apology and were reassured that the problem would be rectified the following day. So, we left for the day and travelled into Chester. On returning to the hotel we realised that the room was still really cold and we discussed this again with Reception and were informed that the boiler could not be repaired during our stay. We were told that we could have a 50% refund on our stay, which seemed reasonable, so we decided to leave, these things happen.

However, we have yet to receive any form of refund, apology, or in fact any form of communication at all from Mollington Banastre or Brook Hotels. We have phoned the hotel constantly for 4 months, the manager is yet to return our call, we have emailed them, no response, and I have emailed central customer services for Brook Hotels, still nothing.

I was quite satisfied that we have an amicable outcome when we left the hotel and had no hard feelings. But this lack of contact and sheer disregard for our service has left a tainted memory of the hotel and I feel is frankly disgusting.

It is such a shame, the hotel was, and could be again really idylic, if only it were being run by a reputable oraganisation who were willing to invest in its refurbishment and customer service.

I have never experienced anything like this. Very dissapointing.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kaz3550

Dear Kaz3550,

Your comments have been duly noted. The hotel is run by a reputable organisation who provide their customers with excellent customer service as you can see from the comments below. I must apologise that on this occasion we did not meet with your expectations.

I would be grateful if you could give me a call so that I could bring the issue raised to satisfactory conclusion.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Just returned from Amy and jam,s wedding we had a fab day, the day went really well, food and service was brilliant,staff helpful and polite, Cheryl wedding co ordination took a lot of pressure off us,the only little gripe was that the bar appeared to be understaffed and there were long queue,s sue and John Griffiths

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan G

Dear Susan G,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about about your wedding day that took place at the hotel. I am glad the day went to plan and met with your expectations. I have conveyed your positive feedback to the team.

May I take this oppurtunity to thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

I organised a hen party spa weekend for 10 people. The package was excellent value for money, the staff at the spa were fantastic and so helpful. The food was great. Our rooms were lovely and clean I cant fault anything about our stay at this hotel.

Dear LisaWolverhampton,

Thank you for writing your review and your compliments on the hotel services. We are pleased that you and your friends had such an enjoyable stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

we recently visited this lovely hotel for my hen weekend we got a fantastic package,the staff were great anything you needed they were there and the food was beautiful,the rooms were lovely! we will for sure be visiting this friendly and lovely hotel again.

Dear Becky31_12,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to review Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, I am glad you and your friends had a very enjoyable time. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Overview:
My friends and myself had the spa package break for £318 approx. This included all food and one night’s stay.

Service:
The general service was good, we had no complaints about the staff, everyone was willing to help and advice.

Spa:
Our spa treatments were the best part of our trip, the spa staff were very helpful and extremely professional, you can also feel confident that they have much experience and will give you a very good relaxation treatment.
On our last day when we arrived at the pool there was a water aerobics class on, there was no time table to state what classes were on in the pool at what time. The reception desk is not well manned and you also have to walk through the main eating area when in the spa..... do you really want to walk through the bar in your dressing gown?
The menu in the spa bar had grammar mistakes and there was also an option for "take away", however when asked about this all they could offer was to put the food in some cheap tin foil, Which took a good 40minutes to prepare (it was only a salad).
The male changing rooms have no cubicles which we did not appreciate and you also have to walk through the pool area to the changing rooms, most spas i have been to do not allow this and have a separate entrance.

Food/Bar
The food at the hotel was good. As we had a package deal we were not sure what we could and could not order from the menu. It was not made clear what the "deal" was. Some of the main meals lacked taste (very salty) and came with no vegetables.
Breakfast was good. Help yourself kind of set up, however it was not made clear that if you wanted things such as beans or your eggs cooked differently that you had to aske. Six people asked for beans within 5minutes!! Why not put them out with everything else?
In the welcome pack in the room it stated that there was a cocktail bar, when we asked the bar tender he was oblivious to this.

However it was a nice short spa break apart from some minor points and Chester is only down the road :)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
#13 of 45 in Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!