“4 Star - Are you kidding! i'll give it 2........at a push!”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed 16 July 2012

On turning off the road you enter a hugely bumpy car park riddled with massive potholes so be careful!

Reception was quick.

Bar was grossly over priced - the fridges did not work so all mixers were cold. Nice seating in the bar area though......carpet from the reception to the bedrooms was utterley filthy - the carpet at the rear of the bar (hallway) is gross!!

The lift is the smallest i have ever seen......

The plants are over growing at the front of the building and actually coming in through the windows......

The room had very dated furntiure with a modern ''Feature Wall' effect wallpaper, comfy bed. Took my pillow back down to reception as it had a dodgy looking brown stain on it....that looked liked leaked bodily fluids!!

Breakfast - staff were lovely food was not, nothing looked very cooked and apart from the fried eggs, the sausages and bacon looked raw and extremely fatty - not very much choice, and the coffee was foul...what is it?? And serve it hot where does it come from its tepid at best!

Went to Sainsburys in Chester and had a super breakfast.

Will be requesting via work NOT to stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay away from the lift!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,740)

Reviewed 13 July 2012

We booked a two night break here via an internet offer. It was quite reasonable so we didn't expect great luxury. The receptionist - who seemed to work very long hours - was friendly and helpful so check-in went smoothly. Our room was in the modern wing; it was fairly modern in style and both room and bathroom were very clean. The room was hot and only had a small opening window but it did the trick - a normal summer could be a problem! Comfy bed, good TV, lots of storage space. Towels were thick and soft - always a good sign. The bathroom was fine; there was a new shower control but they had left the old shower head - the type fixed to the wall so you have to freeze before the water gets warm enough! There was plenty of hot water though. Breakfast was very average, not a huge selection of fruit or preserves (wot, no marmite?) and the hot food wasn't topped up often enough; both mornings we had to wait for fresh supplies and to ask for top-ups of tea and coffee. The restaurant was rather dated - the carpet was dirty and there were splashes all over the curtains - nice views of the garden and wildlife though. With just a few tweaks it could be so much better.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Myself, my husband and our toddler stayed here for the weekend as part of an organised group conference and my overriding views are that most of the staff don't understand hotels and that kids are not welcome in any way.

The check-in was efficient and the family room on the first floor was huge if dated. All looking ok so far. The room was sweltering so we opened the windows and were glad we were not on the ground floor as they were old style windows that open wide no locks no limiters so yes anyone could climb in. We searched for the source of the heat and although the towel rail in the bathroom was set to 0 I burned myself on it. Keep baby away from bathroom then except the door easily just pushed open so we had to barricade it with a chair. At bedtime I couldn't work out why there was no chain as the deadlock didn't work. Asked for help at reception and although chap arrived very quickly he said that guests can't lock themselves in for health and safety reasons even though the lever would open it from the inside. Anyone issued another card or the staff with the master card can enter any room they wish whenever they wish!
All incidental though as the evening meals were a fiasco! We sat down to eat at 6pm and did not get finished until nearly 9pm (this is with baby in a highchair screaming for her dinner!) asked no less than 7 times for them to at least bring her dinner we would wait and then the staff member would disappear! Ask the next one you see and they disappear! It was marginally better the next day but still took over two hours and this is with preordered food. We were told often that various staff had only been there a week and that the hotel had not been expecting children! The highchairs were absolutely filthy at each meal and there were not enough of them. One of our wider party had a travelcot provided with a baby head sized hole in it! The staff at breakfast were a different breed - helpful efficient and friendly.
I can't comment on the pool as we had planned to visit it after dinner but there was no time left due to the delays with the waiter service. The bedroom and bathroom (half size bath) were very very clean but the stairs had not been vacuumed for quite some time. There was no hotel info in the room and when the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night we had to go down to reception to find out what was happening. We were told it was kids messing around - turned out the next day that there was a small fire in one of the rooms and the staff just didn't deem it necessary to let worried guests know what was happening. Two last things - another reviewer mentioned how good the staff were with a leak in the ladies toilets - that leak is still there over a month later and the sign is attached to this review! Another reviewer mentioning the bathroom toiletries. I saw a huge pink bottle of 'value shampoo' outside a room that was being cleaned. Yes I agree that it seems that premium bottles are being filled up with cheap and nasty substitutes.

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Dear NorthStarRed,

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience. All guests of your party had a pre arranged time for their meal as per the organisors instructions and the hotel was not informed that everyone would be dining at leisure which ofcourse threw us a bit. The hotel has a limited amount of high chairs and cots which your group was informed about and wanted, we had to order the extra in had you wanted any more this could have been done but it was not the case.
The fire alarms were caused by one of your party putting their jumper over a lamp which caused it to steam setting the alarms off, there was no fire as stated.
Your positive comments have been noted and passed onto the staff doing breakfast.
I have informed the maintenance department regarding the towel rail and this has since been rectified had this been brought to the attention of our maintenance team this would have been dealt with straightaway. The toiletries used in the guest bathrooms is Taylors of London and not as commented upon by yourself.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I have just arrived home from a lovely afternoon at the Mollington Banastre Hotel and Spa. I had purchased a voucher of the Living Social Site for a Champagne Afternoon Tea. After my purchase, I came across a few reviews which were a bit concerning, but had already purchased the voucher, so decided to just make the best of it when we booked. The afternoon consisted of a very pleasant welcome at reception, directions to a lovely sitting are looking over the gardens, a very pleasant waiter who served two very nice glasses of bubbly, followed by one pot of tea and one pot of coffee ( have read other reviews that this came too quick and maybe you might like to request that the tea and coffee comes after you have finished your bubbly ) My husband said it was a very good cup of tea and my coffee was lovely. The food consisted of a few fingers of sandwiches, a nice ham, cheese and tomato and smoked salmon, maybe a bit basic but fresh and tasty enough. Four slices of a ginger type cake and four slices of a lemon cake, not home made but lovely and moist, two good size scones ( tasting very much on parr with some of our creamed scones that we have had on many a visit to Cornwall ) these were home made with a very good helping of jam and clotted cream! Also served were two extra small jars of jam and plenty of butter ( brilliant instead of having to ask for more! Didnt need the extra jam though ) The service was very good and we were delighted with the whole experience. We paid £19 for the Living Social Voucher and felt it was worth every penny for the relaxing afternoon, but I believe the full price is £39 and I know I wouldnt have liked to have paid that but maybe some other people would.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donna W
Reviewed 3 July 2012

On arrival I was informed that there had been some mistake with the dates of my booking, 2 nights for a family of 5 at £160/night. We arrived on the Wednesday to be told we were expected the night before, I asked if there was a room available on the Thursday and the receptionist said "yes, we are really quite" (having stayed there I can now see why). 2 weeks after I returned home I noticed that Brook Millington had charged me for the 3rd night after the receptionist had promised me they wouldn't. I have just spent the last 3 weeks trying to get the money back only to be told

a) the manager will be in touch
b) we don't deal with this type of complaint at Hotel level
c) we don't deal with this at head office level, get in touch with the hotel
d) The money is on it's way
e) It's been paid by BACS transfer and will be with you in 5 working days
f) you are not getting anything, you didn't cancel within 24 hours of staying.

The hotel itself was ok actually, although the spa was poor, the pool floor is broken and is a danger to the public and the showers have not been updated for a long time and are dirty. The rooms we had were clean and pleasant if a little basic.

If you want to stay in a 2 or 3 star B&B, stay here, if you want to stay in a 4 star hotel then go and find one.........this isn't it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear Ian L,

Your comments on this site seem to be rather different from what actually happened at the hotel. It was quite clear that the confirmation on your blackberry was for the day before, unfortunately our cancellation policy is 24 hours prior to the day of arrival not the day after arrival.

I am glad you found the hotel to your liking. We are also undergoing an extensive planned maintenance programme where the points you have raised are being addressed.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We re-booked to go to this hotel for a 2 night stay, as we came to the hotel in 2000 and got engaged there, so the hotel has lovely memories for us.

Unfortunatley, the hotel was experiencing problems with their boiler and the room and lounge areas were really cold, so much so that we had to wear our coats. There was no hot running water and we could not have a shower. The windows wouldn't close and cold air was rattling through the room.

We complained to Reception and we received a full apology and were reassured that the problem would be rectified the following day. So, we left for the day and travelled into Chester. On returning to the hotel we realised that the room was still really cold and we discussed this again with Reception and were informed that the boiler could not be repaired during our stay. We were told that we could have a 50% refund on our stay, which seemed reasonable, so we decided to leave, these things happen.

However, we have yet to receive any form of refund, apology, or in fact any form of communication at all from Mollington Banastre or Brook Hotels. We have phoned the hotel constantly for 4 months, the manager is yet to return our call, we have emailed them, no response, and I have emailed central customer services for Brook Hotels, still nothing.

I was quite satisfied that we have an amicable outcome when we left the hotel and had no hard feelings. But this lack of contact and sheer disregard for our service has left a tainted memory of the hotel and I feel is frankly disgusting.

It is such a shame, the hotel was, and could be again really idylic, if only it were being run by a reputable oraganisation who were willing to invest in its refurbishment and customer service.

I have never experienced anything like this. Very dissapointing.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kaz3550
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear Kaz3550,

Your comments have been duly noted. The hotel is run by a reputable organisation who provide their customers with excellent customer service as you can see from the comments below. I must apologise that on this occasion we did not meet with your expectations.

I would be grateful if you could give me a call so that I could bring the issue raised to satisfactory conclusion.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Just returned from Amy and jam,s wedding we had a fab day, the day went really well, food and service was brilliant,staff helpful and polite, Cheryl wedding co ordination took a lot of pressure off us,the only little gripe was that the bar appeared to be understaffed and there were long queue,s sue and John Griffiths

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan G
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear Susan G,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about about your wedding day that took place at the hotel. I am glad the day went to plan and met with your expectations. I have conveyed your positive feedback to the team.

May I take this oppurtunity to thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

G Gourishankar

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
#13 of 45 in Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!