“Long Weekend away”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Having read some of the comments on the Brook Mollington Banastre hotel and spa me and my other half were a bit sceptical.
We arrived and were allocated our room.
first floor overlooking the garden - nice view, and the room was clean and tidy.
the towels were plentiful and extremely soft and fluffy. Although we did not use the spa - we had a look and it looked clean and tidy - pool was well used by other guests.
We only took breakfast at the hotel and there was plenty of choice, 5 ceareals, fresh fruit, yoghurt, plentyful suypply of bread, full choice if you were having a full english - the eggs were cooked just right for me - not too runny.
There was a wonderful pianist on Saturday night - who rounded of our day - asking those in the lounge what they would like to hear played - from the 1920's to modern day includning ABBA, tour round Britain with songs form Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England, we had some Glen Miller and some Beatles too - could not ask for better.
Jo the main receptionist was always cheery and willing to help
Would go again, yes there are bits that need some tlc but nothing that would put me off going again, the garden was neat and tidy, along with tables and chairs to enjoy the sunshine we had this august bank holiday weekend.

Room Tip: Room 38 was where we stayed for the weekend good view and on the first floor overlooking the garden.
2  Thank PEPELincolnUK
Write a ReviewReviews (1,700)

Reviewed 25 August 2012

My first impressions were very poor indeed. The reception area is tired, dated and shabby. The corridors were drab and dreary. The room was dated with a very poor quality mattress and stained bedlinen. The pool may have been nice when it was built but it is substandard now e.g. the water in the pool was really cold, the changing rooms were hammered, with many showers and fittings not working. To top it all off, the evening meal was worse than any school dinner, cold chips, almost raw steak. We left after 4 hours even though we paid for 2 nights. I would love to send hotel inspectors around this place. It is truly awful!!

Room Tip: Save your money-don't stay here!
2  Thank MARY H
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Lovely clean rooms, friendly staff, good car parking, large conference rooms. Free WiFi.
Coped with large coach load of over-nighting German tourists with ease and a smile, serving a very passable dinner with smiling service even though the kitchen must have been under some pressure.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear grueziwohl,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this website. Your kind comments regarding the team have been passed on and are greatly appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa the next time you are in the Chester area.

Kind regards

Reviewed 21 August 2012

I have copied below the complaint email that was sent to the manager of the hotel, Gregory.

Although we have now been issued with a full refund, Gregory refused to discuss the problems within the hotel with me.

Dear Sirs,

I have recently returned from a 1 night stay (28/07/12 - 29/07/12) at the Mollington Bannister Hotel in Chester and was very unhappy with my stay.

Upon entering our room (room 65) we noticed instantly the large number of insects that were flying around. We instantly closed our bedroom window and begun trying to get rid of the flies. We counted that roughly 25 flies were actually in our room at the time of our arrival and more seemed to be appearing despite the fact all windows and doors were closed. Obviously, as I am sure you will appreciate, this was not a great first impression. Once the room had been rid the bugs, we then started noticing other unpleasant sites. Firstly, the bedroom window frame was cracked, decayed and unpainted. The wood was chipped and from inspection looked like it may have fallen apart at any moment. The curtains in front of the window were filthy as was the window itself. Our what would have been pleasant view of your grounds were hampered by various staines across the windows.

We also noticed that the wall in the bathroom was cracked, the toilet was damaged and the base of the bath was falling away.

The general cleanlyness/tidyness of the room was frankly appaling. The lamp on the desk, one of the first things in sights upon entering the room was covered in dust, the lapshade was falling to one side and the base was chipped! The light fitting in the middle of the room was covered in dust, as was the desk and the ledge just behind the bed. The bathroom taps, shower curtain and rail and had various unpleasant marks/staines on them. I would almost go as far as saying that the only thing that had been cleaned within our room was the bed.

We booked a double room but unfortuantely we were presented with a room that contained two single beds, both of different heights and sizes that had simply been pushed together. One of the beds contained a reasonably comfortable matress, the other contained a matress that was hard and the springs were practically coming through it.

We did briefly discuss the possibility of leaving your hotel immediately, however, we decided that as it was only for one night and we had no alternative arrangements, we would make the best of a bad situation and head down for some food in your 4* restaurant.

The food we received was unfortunately nothing short of awful. Both me and my partner choose the have the 'roast duck in a red source'. Despite both asking for our duck to cooked medium, the food that arrived was tough, dry and extremely overcooked. For desert I ordered a Chocolate brownie and my partner ordered your Irish Cream Cheese cake. What I received was a very hard, heavy peace of sponge that had simply had a warm chocolate source poured over the top of it. The cheese cake was simply a digestive biscuit that had a large lump of a very unpleasant cheese spread across the top of it. I must admit, I am by no means a regular in 4* restaurants, however, the food we received I am certain was not 4* star by any stretch of the imagination.

On the 29/07 we had both booked in for a Spa treatment which was received as part of our deal. The actual treatment itself was pleasant and the staff within the Spa were extremely friendly and lifted what until that point had been an extremely unpleasant experience. We were advised at the end of our treatment we would be allowed full use of your swimming pool and gym facilities and therefore proceeded to the pool area. Upon entering the changing room, the doors of some lockers were cracked, the locks had been broken off and 1 door actually came of the hinges as I opened it.

The swimming pool itself was at first sight pleasant, however, upon entering the water we realised the pool was extremely high in clorine. Presumably this had been used as an alternative to actually cleaning the pool.

The actual hotel itself is unclean, drab and extremely outdated. In certain corridors it is noticeable where people before you have walked as their foot prints can be seen in the dust and dirt on the carpets, the windows in every room are stained and in need of a thorough clean and the walls/door frames around the building seem to be decaying and un cared for. One door frame in particular on our walk to our bedroom was practically falling apart, the wood was chipped and was black with decay.

Overall, the entire experience was absolutely appalling. I can catagorically state that I would never stay at your hotel again and would not advise any friends/family or colleagues to stay there under any circumstances.

Room Tip: Dont choose any of the rooms, stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Daniel S
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear Daniel S,

Your comments on this site have been noted. I am glad you acknowledged the refund that was provided to you by the company through whom you made your booking.

What you failed to comment on was that when I spoke with you all you were interested in was a refund as you seemed to be quite busy.

May I take this oppurtunity to apologise that on this occasion we did not meet with your expectation.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

revisited this hotel in may, Could not find any of the complaints mentioned in previous reviews. We found this hotel to be excellent value for money ,staff were all very friendly( special mention to Jo at reception, works long hours and is always happy to help).Food was exceptional. Yes there were 1or 2 areas needing cosmetic attention,but maintenance is always ongoing in a building this age and size. Would we return? YES we would!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Dear ourmillie_11,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa. Your comments about the team and Jo our Front of House Manger at the hotel have been passed on and gratefully recieved.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to this Brook hotel when you next visit Chester.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

I was a little apprehensive about staying at this hotel after reading some of the reviews but I can honestly say that both myself and the other 7 people in our party all throughly enjoyed it - and im very particular!. It is only fair to say that the hotel is a little old but it was clean, tidy and the staff couldn't do enough for you.
We had dinner in the first night (3 courses) and every member of our party enjoyed every bit. At breakfast there was a good selection of continental opinions and the cooked breakfast was spot on! Drinks in the hotel bar were reasonably priced as was coffee and refreshments in the cafe down by the gym.
The pool as stated in other reviews could do with a major overhaul, but it was quite pleasent to have a little swim in before dinner or just to relax in the jacuzzi. I didn't use the gym, but it did look well equipped and there were plenty of people in it. There were also squash courts and rackets available if you fancied doing something more energetic.
Just a short walk down the main road that the hotel is on you come to the canal. You can get on the canal path and walk into Chester. It takes about 35 - 40 minutes at a brisk pace. When you get to the end of the path there is a lovely pub called the Tellford Warehouse which I would deffinately recommend for a spot of lunch and a drink by the water.
All in all, a lovely weekend and I would deffinately return to the Brook Mollinton. Don't be put off by the other reviews.

Room Tip: Rooms 40 - 38 - 36 - 34 face away from the main road and are quieter
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2012

Dear Danielle C,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mollington Banastre on this site, your kind comments are appreciated.
The chef takes pride in the food he serves his cutomers and is very pleased that you and your guests enjoyed your meal.
The health spa is currently going through a planned maintenance programme and areas highlighted in some of the other reviews are being addressed.
I am glad you found the walk along the canal enjoyable and the distance to Chester not to far. I do hope that your next visit to Chester will be not too long in the distant future and would look forward to welcoming you back to our manor house.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Stayed for two nights on 10 & 11 August. Put in room 3 first night. What a disappointment. Floor hadn't been vacuumed, dirty towel in bathroom, shower was a waste of time, service vent outside was humming all night and the bed ....... absolutely shocking. Breakfast was fine; good choice and plenty of it. Spoke to a very nice receptionist about our room and she was extremely helpful and said we could look at room 5. It was like being in a completely different hotel. Large, clean room; lovely furniture; comfy bed; clean towels and a decent shower. As a result of the change over on Saturday morning, our weekend actually began and it was lovely. It would appear from reading other reviews that it depends on which room you are put in as to how good you rate your stay. We had two completely different experiences and thanks to a lovely receptionist our weekend was redeemed.

Room Tip: Beware room 3. Room 5 is lovely.

Dear donna_kara,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review about the Mollington Banastre Hotel.

I am delighted that for the most part you enjoyed your stay and I have passed your kind comments about the breakfast to those concerned.

I am extremely pleased that we were able to turn your stay around and meet with your expectation, your kind comments have been passed onto the Front of House Manager who you spoke to on the day.

Many thanks again for such a positive and constructive review - it really is most appreciated.

G Gourishankar

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
#12 of 45 in Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!