“Great Family Room”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed here on there £130 1 night B&B stay including fast track ticket to Chester Zoo. We were allocated a Family room and it truly was as there was a separate room with 2 single beds for the kids. Breakfast was good and served in a buffet style. Unfortunately the pool wasn't working at the time of our stay and the management compensated us for this which we are very grateful for. Would recommend this hotel if wanting to visit Chester.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,740)

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I wasn’t able to read about this hotel on Tripadvisor before I booked it due to my computer not working. I wish I had been able to. They say that if something looks too good to be true it probably is. I thought I was getting a good deal on a four star hotel. I wasn’t – this hotel is a joke.

My gut feeling on arrival was that I was going to be disappointed. I was right. The pot-holed car park and run down appearance of the front of the hotel said it all. Inside it looks dated. Corridors are dreary. Our room was clean but definitely not four-star standard. The place is crying out for some investment and refurbishment. At first sight the leisure club looks quite modern. On closer inspection the same lack of attention to detail and need for investment that afflicts the rest of the hotel is evident here, e.g. a handrail down the steps into the pool was not fixed to anything at one end, resulting in it moving, and the Jacuzzi had large areas of tiling and plastic edging missing. The swimming pool was freezing! To be fair the gym area is modern and well-equipped. Quality of the breakfast was good but everything needed to be hotter. I don’t want to appear over-critical but how they get away with marketing this place as four star is beyond me.

4  Thank John51514
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Our party of 3 generations found this a very comfortable and welcoming place to stay. Our rooms were great. The evening meal in the restaurant really good. Excellent facilities in the gym. Swimming pool a little tired especiallly changing rooms.
Breakfast really good and my gluten free diet was well catered for. Not sure what you would get for continental breakfast , but maybe nobody ordered one.
Only gripe was our room was not cleaned until 4pm so we returned from a day out to a uncleaned room,
Would be happy to return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Angela L
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We arrived at Brook Mollington Hotel after a long (and may i add; fantastic) day at Chester Zoo.
Check in was quick and the lady behind reception was friendly and helpful. She asked whether we wanted to reserve a table in the hotels restaurant for dinner, and also explained about the spa facilities, opening times etc. - Although we did not use these facilites as we had forgotton our swim stuff.!

We were allocated a non-smoking room on the first floor. The room was spacious and looked clean etc. The bathroom was nice, although someone needs to look at the tap in there as it made an awful sound when turned on. The towels were plentiful but be careful of the towel rail if you have young children with you as it is permantly hot, too hot to touch! We found the room to be constantly boiling! (this was probably coming from the towel rail, haha, - the heating wasnt even on, so dont plan on taking thick jarmies! ha. The beds were abit hard, especially the pillows, but i guess this is just individual preference!? ..The only thing we didnt like about the room was they have walls as thin as paper!! The people next door to us decided to switch the tv on at 6.30am which also woke us up, i could hear everything they were watching and the lady staying in that room also required the hair dryer on/off on/off, on/off, on/off on/off every 2 minutes which was really annoying!!, but i guess thats not the hotels fault. They could just do with thicker walls.

We didnt eat in the hotels restaurant for dinner, we got a taxi into Chester City Centre, only 5 mins taxi ride, cost us about £5. We went to a place called 'The Living Room', they done lovely food and even better cocktails! Yum! Quite expensive but its a lovely modern Restaurant/Bar and would definitely recommend to anybody visitng Chester.

Check-out was also fine, we didnt stay for Breakfast so cant comment on that one. Me and my partner would definitely stay at Brook Mollington again if we were visiting Chester in the future. I dont think we would agree that it was a 4* hotel, but by all means a lovely, clean, cheap-enough hotel to stay in that we were more than happy with :-)

..if you have time whilst in Chester, go to Cheshire Oaks Shopping Designer Outlet, only approx 3-4 drive from Brook Mollington Hotel and great for even a browse! Lots of designer shops that are really cheap. Also, Chester Zoo is a must! Me and my partner spent all day there and loved every minute of it.

You'll have a great time if visiting this hotel and Chester - dont be put off by bad reviews!! :-)

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I booked the 4* Hotel to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. Started poorly with outside looking tired and in need of a revamp, inside was better, we changed rooms to improve the view of what looked like extraction fan ducting, however the other room was no better. Then we had a mouse run through the 4* Restaurant during our evening meal, and finally I left a pair of my favourite shoes and bag in the room and had to chase the Hotel Management for days, only for Staff and the Management to repeatedly break promises to either call me back or send the shoes, eventually I received the wrong shoes which followed by several weeks of again failed commitments and ignoring calls, the bag turned up but shoes are still missing! Even after escalation to the Sales & Marketing Manager the response time did not improve and there is still no resolution to the problem. In my opinion the Management and service falls a long way short of 4*. No doubt the Manager will respond quicker to these comments, than my phone calls!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melanie B
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Having read some of the comments on the Brook Mollington Banastre hotel and spa me and my other half were a bit sceptical.
We arrived and were allocated our room.
first floor overlooking the garden - nice view, and the room was clean and tidy.
the towels were plentiful and extremely soft and fluffy. Although we did not use the spa - we had a look and it looked clean and tidy - pool was well used by other guests.
We only took breakfast at the hotel and there was plenty of choice, 5 ceareals, fresh fruit, yoghurt, plentyful suypply of bread, full choice if you were having a full english - the eggs were cooked just right for me - not too runny.
There was a wonderful pianist on Saturday night - who rounded of our day - asking those in the lounge what they would like to hear played - from the 1920's to modern day includning ABBA, tour round Britain with songs form Scotland, Ireland, Wales and England, we had some Glen Miller and some Beatles too - could not ask for better.
Jo the main receptionist was always cheery and willing to help
Would go again, yes there are bits that need some tlc but nothing that would put me off going again, the garden was neat and tidy, along with tables and chairs to enjoy the sunshine we had this august bank holiday weekend.

Room Tip: Room 38 was where we stayed for the weekend good view and on the first floor overlooking the garden.
2  Thank PEPELincolnUK
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My first impressions were very poor indeed. The reception area is tired, dated and shabby. The corridors were drab and dreary. The room was dated with a very poor quality mattress and stained bedlinen. The pool may have been nice when it was built but it is substandard now e.g. the water in the pool was really cold, the changing rooms were hammered, with many showers and fittings not working. To top it all off, the evening meal was worse than any school dinner, cold chips, almost raw steak. We left after 4 hours even though we paid for 2 nights. I would love to send hotel inspectors around this place. It is truly awful!!

Room Tip: Save your money-don't stay here!
2  Thank MARY H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
#13 of 45 in Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!