“Murder Mystery...”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
York, United Kingdom
“Murder Mystery...”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I recently had my hen do in Chester and decided to stay here because of it's spa facilities. The spa treatment area was lovely with very friendly staff but the leisure centre facilities were old and worn. The pool had hairs floating in it and the jacuzzi was out of action. We then had a buffet lunch, the food was poor and a disappointment, which did not make us look forward to our evening meal!!!
Our room was ok, clean and tidy. We went downstairs for our evening meal and it went from bad to worse. To start some of us had ordered terrine which was terrible, my friend described it as 'spam with branston pickle!' the lettuce with it was limp. Then the main course, I had lamb shank which was a weird kind of grey colour! Some of my friends had ordered mushroom risotto but when it came it was literally rice with some mushrooms in it! It wasn't even risotto rice!!Next was pudding! I ordered crème brulee, what I got was most definitely a pot of melted ice cream. There was no hard, caramel top to it just a sloppy mess. Luckily we were participating in a murder mystery (not organised by the hotel) which was brilliant so our mind was off the food.

Next morning breakfast came and we thought we actually were in a murder mystery.. We were quite happily having breakfast when two of the hotel staff dragged a young man kicking and screaming right through the restaurant! They shoved him into an office in full view of all the guests and had him on the floor screaming. The hotel is very big so I'm guessing they could have quite easily taken him somewhere else but no they dragged him through the breakfast room!! He was screaming for a bit longer and then the police arrived. about 15 min later the young man was let go and walked out as if nothing had happened! We were stood by the reception and the manager very casually said 'Did you enjoy your breakfast entertainment ladies???!!!' He then proceeded to tell us it was a stolen credit card that the young man and his friend had tried to use, I thought with the force they were using it must have been an axe wheedling murderer!!!

In conclusion... the hotel is in need of some serious TLC and maybe Gordon Ramsay needs to do some 'Kitchen Nightmares' there. No where near a 4 star!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jenny H
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear Jenny H,

Your comments on the site have been noted. May I take this oppurtunity to apologise to you that on this occasion the hotel did not meet with your expectations.
The same food that was served to your party was served in the restaurant with compliments being sent through to the chef by numerous diners. Had you brought to the attention of the manager looking after your party, the food comments during the meal he would have gone out of his way to ensure that the the matter could be rectified.
I would like to apologise to you once again and assure you that this is not the norm. Should you return to tha Chester area in the very near future please do not hesitate to give me a call so that we could be given the oppurtunity to change your perception of the hotel.

G Gourishankar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Meliden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Yes this is an old hotel with character so dont expect a modern one!
Some areas are a bit worn and tired yes but this adds to the character of this old building. The service from all the staff makes up for any minor cosmetic faults which didnt have any impact on our stay which was in fact our 11th wedding anniversary so we wanted it to be special, and it was :)

We had a Dinner with Wine, Bed and Breakfast deal and we stayed in Executive room 28.
The room was lovely and clean with a kingsize bed and LCD tv with plenty of channels. Some of the wood on the furniture was worn but nothing we couldnt live with. Excellent selection of tea coffee and biscuits and bottle of springwater. Toiletries in the bathroom and plenty of clean towels.

Our evening meal was excellent, a good choice of food that was well presented and very tasty - 5 star stuff:) the waiters and waitresses that served us were very pleasant and professional at all times. Later we had drinks in the lounge bar with music from the local pianist who was very friendly and talented.

Very comfortable nights sleep and the room with no noise from outside.
Breakfast was very organised and fast. Good choice of Continental, cereals and cooked breakfast on offer.

The pool and spa was very good. Reading previous reviews it looks like they have been very busy improving things there. The pool was warm (29 degrees!) has a new temporary floor, jacuzzi was hot and working fine and the lockers/changing rooms were fine too.

Would we go back again - definitely (oh yes an FREE Wifi too)

Dear seanio71,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on you stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed all our facilities and very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the Chester area.

Borehamwood uk
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed 1 night at the Mollington. it was close to the crematorium and also near the hospital, It is on the outskirts of chester city centre. So if you are visiting someone in hospital, attending funeral or want to feel away from the hustle and bustle it is well placed.
We booked a special offer deal £71 a night with breakfast. I booked a double and when we arrived we found we were allocated a room with 3 singles in it. I informed reception and they quickly changed it, we ended up in a huge suite with 4 poster bed at no extra cost.

Didn't use the facilities but had a look at the spa - it looked inviting and there were people swimming in the pool, it has a gym and a sports bar.
The breakfast was a buffet style and it offered a good choice of hot and cold breakfast. I didn't use the restaurant in the evening so can't comment.

I notice that other comments for this hotel say it is Tatty and dated - If you were to compare with a newly built Hotel, I guess it is going to look tired, however the Mollington Banastre is an old mansion,( I actually worked in the hote 20 years ago as a porter and not much has changed) - I think that is it's charm, like Rowton Hall, these hotlels are 'old school' creaky floor type places that are steeped in comfort. perhaps if I was psying full price I might expect something swanky- I would recomend this hotel if you are taking your time and feeling nostalgic.

Room Tip: ask if you can upgrade - if they have the room free they will upgrade. rooms 3 to 5 are above the r...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear chadster7,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Mollington after 20 years. Your stay must have been very nostalgic. May I take this oppurtunity to thank you for your kind comments on this site.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming back to the hotel the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

hotel has pretty good facilities included a well served gym which comes in handy. the internet is awful, slow and it disconnect too often. other than that for 55£ is one of the best in this price range.

Dear Trip advisor member,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay at the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed all our facilities.
I have passed on your commnents to our internet provider who has assured me that he will be rectifying the speed of the internet access.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hote the next time you visit Chester.

Birmingham
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My partner and I visit Chester every year, normally staying in the city center. This year we decided to stay a little out of town and on the face of it, this hotel seemed to fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately we were very disappointed.

Staff:
The reception staff during the day are without doubt the rudest and least professional hotel staff I've ever had to deal with. As a long-time road-warrior, I've stayed in a lot of hotels, and was shocked at the attitude of the staff. They need a long lesson in customer service since these are the people that every customer sees.

Answering the phone while checking a customer in or out is not acceptable, and when my partner complained about the gardener using a petrol leaf-blower/hedge-trimmer at 8:00am right outside our open bedroom window, she was met with total indifference.

We ordered room service (2 drinks and a sandwich) at around 10:30pm on the first night, this was finally delivered to the room about an hour later. Surely the hotel can't have been that busy at that time?

Condition/Decor
Tatty is perhaps the best description. The carpets in the public areas are threadbare in many places, the bedroom we stayed in even worse, with dubious staining in many places. The bathroom was in a poor state of repair with cracks in the ceiling and bubbling paint, probably due to the non-functioning extractor fan. Also, the bathroom mirror had been broken in one corner and repaired with a sticking plaster.

The bed squeaked and rattled with every movement, and the mattress had about as much support as a lump of jelly, yet at the same time felt as though each and every spring was trying to push through the bed linen. 2 nights of extremely poor sleep ensued.

Cleanliness
The bedding itself was clean, but running a finger over any flat surface soon revealed large amounts of dust, and the cobwebs around the light fittings weren't too pleasant either.

Conclusion
If you're planning on visiting Chester and are looking for a 3 or 4 star hotel, look elsewhere. There are plenty of much better hotels in the City Center.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank phil2580
Dear phil2580,

Your comments posted on this site have been noted. May I take this oppurtunity to apologise that on this occasion the hotel did not meet with your expectation.
The comments regarding the receptionist have been passed on to her line manager with a recommendation to carry out re training in customer service.
Further the hotel is currently undergoing an extensive maintenance programme and the issues commented on are being addressed.
As you know that the hotel has extensive gardens which makes their upkeep a challenge most of the time. Having checked the hotels time sheets it shows that the gardener had only signed in at 8.30am on the day in question and it was about 9am that he got around to leaf blowing. May I once again apologise that you were disturbed.

G Gourishankar

Travellers are raving about these Mollington hotels

Wales
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The Mollington Banastre is an excellent hotel with excellent facilities- pool and spa, clean, tidy and spacious rooms, excellent meals and staff that bent over backwards in order to ensure good stay.
The only (minor) complaint is that they had inexperienced staff on the bar during a very busy period. However it didn't qualify as a big enough niggle to spoil anything.
I'd heartily recommend this hotel and would be glad to visit there again myself.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are away from any traffic noise and overlook a beautiful garden.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Bouldnor
Dear Bouldnor,

Your comments on this site are much appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and will be visiting us again in the near future.

I can further assure you that your comments regarding the barman have been acted upon to ensure no re occurence.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed there for one night on the 26th August after a wedding, as there was an offer! I have never been to such a shabby hotel, how it is rated 4 star I do not know. I reckon 2 star at best. I have written to complain and so far had no response, which again shows something. The pool when we were there was falling apart, lockers broken and locker doors hanging off. At the time there was a problem with the thermostat so it was a little cold which did not particularly other me. The showers were also lacking, Only a couple worked. The corridors dark and dingy, no lights working in the long dismal corridor to our room, the room smelt when we arrived. Someones dirty breakfast tray was in the corridor at 5pm. I made various kind complaints when we were there, other people were most definitely of the same view and were complaining too. I believe it is now having an update, but I am deeply upset about it and await their response to my letter! However despite all this the breakfast was not bad. If the hotel Manager had been able to Manage and not run around doing menial jobs it may have helped too! I suspect they were understaffed, they were certainly overbooked as there was a family without a room when we arrived.

Room Tip: At the time of our stay, the back of the hotel looks over an unkempt garden, the front over the main...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear 52mdb,

Thank you for posting your comments on this site. As you quite rightly say the hotel is undergoing an extensive planned maintenance programme and the issues raised by you are being addressed.

With regards to the lights in the corridor when investigated, were inadvertently switched off by one of the hotel guests.

On a positive note I am glad that the breakfast was to your satisfaction. I do hope that when you are next in the Chester area I would like to welcome you back to the hotel so that we could change your perception.

G Gourishankar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 44 in Chester
No photo provided

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!