“Old & tired - the hotel, not me!”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Visited here for a function and that I can have no complaints about - however, most others things I can. When I checked in I was sent to a room that was already occupied. I had to return to the desk and was asked if I was sure! No one knew who was in there but I was given another room. The room, like the hotel, is in despearate need of renovation and updating. It is a shame as the place has character but this is lost in the shoddy decor. Can easily find somewhere else better I think.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Dear ScouseGinner,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at the hotel. The hotel is currently going through a vast planned maintenance and we are looking forward to the character which you mention to be restored. I must apologise there was a mix up with your check in but was soon rectified.

On a positive note I am glad you enjoyed the function and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when next you are in Chester.

There are newer reviews for Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 28 October 2012

My fiancé and myself enjoy our weekends away throughout the year, although this was one to remember for all the wrong reason. There is no way this is a 4 star.
Understaffed was an understatement. The food that we were served on Friday evening was shocking. We had to send 3 main meals back and there was only 2 of us! The manager never even bothered to show his face to apologise.
The hotel generally is in need of TLC, first impressions aren't too bad but the cleanliness of the room was questionable.
When they say its five mins from Chester I think they must mean by helicopter as its on a main road some of which has no path.....it's certainly is far from central with nothing close by.
Having spent a couple of days in lovely Chester there are far better places to stay.
Avoid like the plague

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
1  Thank Dan R

Dear Dan R,

Your comments on this site have been noted. May I apologise that the hotel did not meet with your expectation on this occasion.

All comments both positive and constructive are acted upon and from time to time are used for re training purposes. As this was a quality issue it has been brought to the attention of our suppliers who have assured me that the matter will be rectified.

As a gesture of goodwill I would like to invite you back so that we could change your perception of the hotel.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

As others have said the hotel is old and tired. Our stay was for 2 nights and the hotel was well placed for what we wanted to do, which was visit the Zoo and to go into Chester on the park and ride(which is next to the zoo). Check in was quick. The room we were allocated (used laterooms.com) was ok and was clean. Wouldn't have paid full price for it though. The view was just over roofs but didn't bother us. There were a few midges in the room so we kept the windows closed all the time. The ensuite had one area of very low ceiling which I bumped my head on ( and I am only 5' 1 ! so taller guests needed to be even more aware!). Breakfast was very good - buffet style with lots of choice so you eat as much as you wanted. Only drawback was that instead of your own pot of tea or coffee, waitress came round with thermos jugs of tea and coffee and the taste of both was very strange. Whether it was the water supply though, as tea/ coffee made in our room was also strange tasting. Didn't use the restaurant in the evenings, it looked far too expensive and 1 mile up the road was The Wheatsheaf Crown Carvery. At £3.99 a head this was excellent. The Spa looked nice but we didn't get time to use it. Overall had a nice stay at the Hotel.

Room Tip: Read a review on Trip Adviser to ask for a room at the back so we did. Room was quiet at night as r...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Dear Caroline E,

Thank you for commenting on your experience at the hotel on Trip Advisor. I would like to assure you that all comments both positive and constructive made by our valued guests are acted upon.
I have brought to the attention of the breakfast staff that from time to time customers may want their own individual tea or coffee at the table this has now been put into practise.
The next time you are in the Chester area, I would like to welcome you back to the Mollington Banastre Hotel and do hope that you will have the oppurtunity to experience our spa.

Reviewed 20 October 2012

Hotel is a decent 3 star really, staff are friendly, food OKish..... I didnt get any sleep at all!! Avoid on Fridays and Saturdays!! No wonder we got a good deal as Saturday is Gypsy wedding day! Shouting, screaming, kids running around and even someone ringing our room telephone several times and hanging up!! Nightmare, will avoid this place like the plague unless of course you have your very own caravan and like to act like animals!! And yes, I did report this to reception, errr... yes sorry, weve had loads of complaints. Bye then. !?!?!?!?

1  Thank TonyB67
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear Tony B67,

Your comments on this site have been noted. I think it is incorrect that you have assumed that the hotel has gypsy weddings on Fridays and Saturdays in reality this is not the case either on the Friday in question. The wedding was at another venue and we had a few rooms booked here. Please accept my apologies that you were disturbed at night.
Further I would like to assure you that the hotel on principle does not accept caravans either. In the meantime if you are next in the Chester area either on a Friday or Saturday I would like to welcome you back to the hotel so that we could change your perception.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I recently had my hen do in Chester and decided to stay here because of it's spa facilities. The spa treatment area was lovely with very friendly staff but the leisure centre facilities were old and worn. The pool had hairs floating in it and the jacuzzi was out of action. We then had a buffet lunch, the food was poor and a disappointment, which did not make us look forward to our evening meal!!!
Our room was ok, clean and tidy. We went downstairs for our evening meal and it went from bad to worse. To start some of us had ordered terrine which was terrible, my friend described it as 'spam with branston pickle!' the lettuce with it was limp. Then the main course, I had lamb shank which was a weird kind of grey colour! Some of my friends had ordered mushroom risotto but when it came it was literally rice with some mushrooms in it! It wasn't even risotto rice!!Next was pudding! I ordered crème brulee, what I got was most definitely a pot of melted ice cream. There was no hard, caramel top to it just a sloppy mess. Luckily we were participating in a murder mystery (not organised by the hotel) which was brilliant so our mind was off the food.

Next morning breakfast came and we thought we actually were in a murder mystery.. We were quite happily having breakfast when two of the hotel staff dragged a young man kicking and screaming right through the restaurant! They shoved him into an office in full view of all the guests and had him on the floor screaming. The hotel is very big so I'm guessing they could have quite easily taken him somewhere else but no they dragged him through the breakfast room!! He was screaming for a bit longer and then the police arrived. about 15 min later the young man was let go and walked out as if nothing had happened! We were stood by the reception and the manager very casually said 'Did you enjoy your breakfast entertainment ladies???!!!' He then proceeded to tell us it was a stolen credit card that the young man and his friend had tried to use, I thought with the force they were using it must have been an axe wheedling murderer!!!

In conclusion... the hotel is in need of some serious TLC and maybe Gordon Ramsay needs to do some 'Kitchen Nightmares' there. No where near a 4 star!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jenny H
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

Dear Jenny H,

Your comments on the site have been noted. May I take this oppurtunity to apologise to you that on this occasion the hotel did not meet with your expectations.
The same food that was served to your party was served in the restaurant with compliments being sent through to the chef by numerous diners. Had you brought to the attention of the manager looking after your party, the food comments during the meal he would have gone out of his way to ensure that the the matter could be rectified.
I would like to apologise to you once again and assure you that this is not the norm. Should you return to tha Chester area in the very near future please do not hesitate to give me a call so that we could be given the oppurtunity to change your perception of the hotel.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Yes this is an old hotel with character so dont expect a modern one!
Some areas are a bit worn and tired yes but this adds to the character of this old building. The service from all the staff makes up for any minor cosmetic faults which didnt have any impact on our stay which was in fact our 11th wedding anniversary so we wanted it to be special, and it was :)

We had a Dinner with Wine, Bed and Breakfast deal and we stayed in Executive room 28.
The room was lovely and clean with a kingsize bed and LCD tv with plenty of channels. Some of the wood on the furniture was worn but nothing we couldnt live with. Excellent selection of tea coffee and biscuits and bottle of springwater. Toiletries in the bathroom and plenty of clean towels.

Our evening meal was excellent, a good choice of food that was well presented and very tasty - 5 star stuff:) the waiters and waitresses that served us were very pleasant and professional at all times. Later we had drinks in the lounge bar with music from the local pianist who was very friendly and talented.

Very comfortable nights sleep and the room with no noise from outside.
Breakfast was very organised and fast. Good choice of Continental, cereals and cooked breakfast on offer.

The pool and spa was very good. Reading previous reviews it looks like they have been very busy improving things there. The pool was warm (29 degrees!) has a new temporary floor, jacuzzi was hot and working fine and the lockers/changing rooms were fine too.

Would we go back again - definitely (oh yes an FREE Wifi too)

Dear seanio71,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on you stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed all our facilities and very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the Chester area.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed 1 night at the Mollington. it was close to the crematorium and also near the hospital, It is on the outskirts of chester city centre. So if you are visiting someone in hospital, attending funeral or want to feel away from the hustle and bustle it is well placed.
We booked a special offer deal £71 a night with breakfast. I booked a double and when we arrived we found we were allocated a room with 3 singles in it. I informed reception and they quickly changed it, we ended up in a huge suite with 4 poster bed at no extra cost.

Didn't use the facilities but had a look at the spa - it looked inviting and there were people swimming in the pool, it has a gym and a sports bar.
The breakfast was a buffet style and it offered a good choice of hot and cold breakfast. I didn't use the restaurant in the evening so can't comment.

I notice that other comments for this hotel say it is Tatty and dated - If you were to compare with a newly built Hotel, I guess it is going to look tired, however the Mollington Banastre is an old mansion,( I actually worked in the hote 20 years ago as a porter and not much has changed) - I think that is it's charm, like Rowton Hall, these hotlels are 'old school' creaky floor type places that are steeped in comfort. perhaps if I was psying full price I might expect something swanky- I would recomend this hotel if you are taking your time and feeling nostalgic.

Room Tip: ask if you can upgrade - if they have the room free they will upgrade. rooms 3 to 5 are above the r...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
GGouri, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear chadster7,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Mollington after 20 years. Your stay must have been very nostalgic. May I take this oppurtunity to thank you for your kind comments on this site.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming back to the hotel the next time you are in the area.

G Gourishankar

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 44 in Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!