“Don't always believe the negative reviews - Fantastic spa break”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Don't always believe the negative reviews - Fantastic spa break”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Just returned from another fantastic spa break. Arrived early, staff on reception extremely friendly and directed us through to facilities, jacuzzi lovely (very warm), sauna, steam room and pool great. Staff in the spa are very friendly and nothing seems too much trouble. Enjoyed a lovely lunch and fantastic treatments in the spa, one of the best massages ever had. Went to check-in rooms, we had 2 rooms next to each other above the reception area and we were delighted with them. Very spacious, clean and with lots of character.
Dined in the restaurant - food was good both for dinner and breakfast. Very busy Saturday evening but extremely hard working staff particularly the gentleman who was on duty both Saturday evening and again early morning Sunday breakfast. It was lovely to listen to the gentleman on the piano after dinner whilst we relaxed on the comfy sofas with a few drinks (little expensive but what you would expect for a hotel bar)
Hotel decor is a little dated in parts but this should not take away from the fact that this is a great hotel.
Would highly recommend a spa break at a hotel with lots of character, friendly hardworking staff, nice food and lovely spacious rooms and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Having been given a Buyagift "Luxury" 2 night break for a wedding anniversary present and wanting to visit the Chester area, we decided to go with this hotel although with some trepidation, having read some of the reviews. And, in general, we were disappointed. On arrival we booked in late afternoon and staff were friendly enough. However, the downstairs double room was a long trek from the reception and dining area. The room itself wasn't too bad, clean and of reasonable size, with a decent flat screen TV and plenty of working channels including Sky Sports. Bathroom was small, but clean and a plus point - there was always plenty of hot water and the shower over the bath was excellent. The heating seemed to be working OK although we didn't really need it as it was warm enough without it on.
Relaxing after our journey and first day out we were soon to discover the 2 worst parts of our room (and probably most others) - the (total lack of) soundproofing in the room and the uncomfortable bed - with no mattress cover - most unhygienic. Anyway - the walls must be paper thin as we could hear next door's TV and telephone conversations as if they were in the room - dreadful. We are fairly early to bed and I am a light sleeper, so the last thing I want is to be kept awake late and woken up early by our neighbour's TV, which we were. Compounded by the uncomfortable bed with the mattress buttons sticking in us, we didn't get much sleep for our 2 nights.
On to the food. We decided to try a meal in the restaurant on our first night and ended up wishing we had taken the trouble to go into town. My wife had a Thai Chicken curry, which she said was as bland and tasteless as any she had ever had and my "slow cooked" belly of pork with "smashed root veg" (lumpy mashed potato?) was uninspiring at an expensive £14.95. The extra side helping of chips was undercooked. Breakfast was OK, with plenty of cereals, toast and cooked English, but this was very greasy and not particularly appetizing. Having said this The hotel interior was pleasant, but tired looking. We didn't try the spa / swim / gym facilities so can't comment on these.
Overall we were disappointed and definitely wouldn't stay there again. I'm glad I wasn't actually paying for it because "luxury" and "4 star" it isn't. I can only recommend this to stay at if you are deaf and don't mind overpaying for very ordinary food. The fundamentals of a good hotel are peace, quiet and comfort at night - none of which we got.

3 Thank Steve_E305

Travellers are raving about these Mollington hotels

Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night (business) because it was a quiet location and had a gym/pool
The book in was fine and the reception staff seemed very proficient.
The also seemed smart and recently refurbished apart from the shower which was ok but overdue for an upgrade.
Gym and pool was great and managed well. Deciding to eat in the hotel, this is where it went downhill: The restaurant manager (big Eastern European?) seemed to be all over the place in the bar, kitchen and when I asked for the wine list during the meal he forgot to come back so not only did you lose a sale, it was unprofessional. He got some other staff from elsewhere and started preparing the room for breakfast around the diners? Made me feel in the way but the food was fine. I would have had a desert but he never offered that either?
Breakfast Waiter was untrained. He was taking my "hot" order whilst I was serving myself cereal & I watched him spill coffee over this poor woman at the next table. My cooked breakfast was unceremoniously put down opposite my place saying "it's there when your ready" !!! At least it was quick though I'll give you that! Overall, the quality & presentation of breakfast food was very poor. I've had better in military messes. When you have a lot of hotels these days who pride themselves on serving "locally sourced" sausages, bacon and eggs, you are lagging behind the rest on providing the "best meal of the day"

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank stevemain
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The breakfast was luke warm on each occasion evening meal was fine duck a little tough though,
the room was ok if a little dated shower curtain smelt like it needed a good wash or better still replacing. On going to reception to check out given the wrong bill then my bill which was also incorrect receptionist put it right then blamed key board error maybe go again!

1 Thank nigel m
Dawlish, Devon
Reviewed 23 April 2013

My friend and I stayed for two nights at this hotel and I would say it was very average. Our bedroom was large and the bathroom was clean and adequate. The hotel was cold and the heating in our room didn't work but the management gave us a couple of convector heaters. Unfortunately the fire alarm went off at 12.15pm and we had to evacuate the building and stand in the freezing cold with the snow coming down but, of course, this was unavoidable. The restaurant meals were average and the breakfast was poor - no porridge one morning! The bar had no pineapple juice so I couldn't have the cocktail I wanted, although the barman was very friendly and helped as much as he could. The building is a bit dated and in need of decoration. We didn't use the spa facilities. It is OK for a couple of nights but not for a longer stay

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bartonbelle
Tuxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2013

My friend and I have just spent two nights at this hotel and it was a very mixed experience to say the least. When we checked in the lady on reception was so curt and unfriendly, the process was pain free but conducted in a very brusque manner. Our room was at the back of the hotel so very quiet, it was an adequate size and the bathroom was ok, the room just seemed tired and in need of a spruce up, the bed was ok ish, could perhaps do with a new mattress, our bed side lights were mismatched but otherwise it was spotlessly clean and the housekeeping was first rate. We ate in the restaurant both nights the menu was quite varied, the food was good and the staff were pleasant and worked hard to look after the diners, what was lacking, was atmosphere, the place was deathly quiet, no nice background music, just silence. The bar staff were very welcoming and happy to chat with the customers, the big downfall for this hotel is the leisure centre, its dated, the facilities are terrible and the overall impression is the lack of cleanliness. The ladies changing room is cold, I would guess half of the lockers are broken, the area is cramped, it has an unpleasant odour, the ceiling tiles are stained and dirty and some of them are missing, not all the showers have privacy curtains and it is very dingy. There is a ladies sauna which on the two nights I was there was not on, carrying on to the pool area things don't get much better, there is a small sauna next to a steam room which smells and is so small, if you sit on the right hand side you cannot touch the wall as if you do you will burn yourself. The pool is only just over one metre deep and around the pool there is a lot of stuff just lying around, flotation aid's etc.a I am a member of a leisure club close to home which puts this spa area to shame really as it is spotlessly clean and inviting. We had some of the beauty treatments on offer and they were fabulous, reasonably priced and well done, hats off to that particular area of the hotel. The hotel needs a total revamp, it lacks atmosphere and appeal, the staff, with the exception at check in were all friendly and helpful. There is clearly a big market for corporate functions as there are several suites, weddings are held regularly and the hotel appears busy in the organisation of this sector of business, it all seems, however, to be at the expense of the hotel guests, if it improved I would certainly stay again but not right now, there are other hotels close by which will most likely offer a better experience than the Mollington does.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank irenenights
Birmingham
Reviewed 19 April 2013

My Husband brought me a two night stay through Buy a Gift in March and we decided to use this for the 18th/19th April 2013. The drive up to the Hotel was beautiful however on arrival I thought from the front of the hotel it did not look like a 4 star hotel. We went to check in(2pm) and was told the rooms were not available and to come back later, the receptionist was far from welcoming. We then managed to check in at 5:30pm the lift was so small this was no way for 4 people as stated. We found that the room was very dated and the bathroom was very small(good job I was not fat otherwise I would have had no chance of fitting in). The room was cold maybe this has something to do with a large gap at the bottom of the doorway and also the door catch was loose and was not screwed in secure.(Room 38). The hotel in general was noisy and had very thins walls so much so we could hear word for word from the neighbours. Before bed we wanted to brush our teeth and wash however there was no water available(it was turned off from (11pm-630am) however we was not made aware it was a good job we had bottled water in the room. I telephoned the receptionist to enquire what was happening and their was no answer this was after 10 minutes of calling so my Husband had to go down and speak to a member of staff. I woke up this morning with the worst back and neck ache ever the beds are horrid and so uncomfortable every time I turned around a spring was in my side or back. When we complained this morning the lack of customer service was rubbish in fact it took 2 hours for someone to resolve our complaint and we left unhappy as we were told to refer back to Buy a gift as technically it was there problem. I would avoid at all costs. The nicest thing about this hotel was the wedding dress in the reception area.

Room Tip: Do not ask for Room 38.
2 Thank holidays4me_9
DUmmat, Owner at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
I am very disappointed to read this post from you today . As a gesture of goodwill for your disappointment our General Manager resolved this with you and your husband at the time . You were advised that your voucher had been refunded completely to “Buy a Gift” for you to re redeem elsewhere. Mr Gavin , also spoke to “Buy a Gift “ on your behalf to negotiate and extend the date of use for this voucher . Although you also contacted our Head Office seeking further redress you failed to give us the time or opportunity to resolve this matter for you in any other way . At Brook Hotels we always investigate any issues bought to our attention seriously and sympathetically. I am sure you can appreciate that it clearly in the best interests of all concerned to reach an amicable and satisfactory solution . Your room has been re-inspected by Mr Gavin and the Chairman of Brook Hotels today and we have also tracked the history of recorded maintenance issues with his room .We are happy that we have no case to answer . At this moment I believe we have done all we can. Your original purchase was with “ Buy a Gift “ you will now need to contact them directly for a monetary refund if that is what you desire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 44 in Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!