“Enjoyable stay”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We both enjoyed our two-night stay here and have to commend all the staff for being so friendly and helpful, especially Desi on Reception, and the manager, Fintan Gavin, was very charming.

We ate in the hotel restaurant on our first night and both chose the slow-cooked beef, which was divine! Our compliments to the chef! Breakfast both mornings was fine, with a good choice of food.

Although the decor in some of the areas of the hotel was a little tired, our bedroom was comfortable and pleasant, overlooking the lovely garden. The bathroom could do with an upgrade but was sufficient for our needs.

We sadly didn't have time to use the spa and pool area but hope to should we return to the area in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden - nicer view than the car park - and if you struggle with stai...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JnKB
Write a ReviewReviews (1,700)

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Overall a real disappointment that tainted our weekend.
Positives: friendly and helpful staff, lovely hot shower, £5 taxi rides
Spa:gravel and dirt at the bottom of the jacuzzi, no swimwear dryer, saunas were either not hot or not working
Bedroom: dated and shabby double with 60s chipped and scuffed furniture, bedsheets that didnt fit resulting in sleeping on bare matteress, wallpaper coming away, curtains off hook & eye, stains on ceiling
Food: despite the large portions and good presentation the 3 courses were either overpowering or tasteless. The meal we had in Chester the following night was far superior.
At present I would not stay again. The hotel and spa needs a good deal of investment.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank S S
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Want to thank all the staff and members of the Resort for their helpfulness and consideration. The housekeeping was very good and had a lovely arrangement. They have great fitness facilities and the location is very pleasant. Not too far from the town of Chester which is unique town in of itself.
The weather was fine and the landscape too was most interesting. Remember to look both ways when crossing the roads!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We arrived for our spa break at almost 2pm, which is check in time according to the website, the person I called to ask, as well as the guest info book left in the hotel room itself. However when I asked to check in I was met with the almost horrified response of 'You can't check in until 3pm! The rooms just aren't ready.' It was said with a level of shock on a par with me asking for a free stay. However after recovering from my audacity, the receptionist did finally suggest we leave our bags while we went for a swim and to have our spa treatments. The spa treatment itself was very good and the therapist lovely.

After our treatments we were allowed to check in. Due to some previous poor reviews I was feeling a bit apprehensive but was pleasantly surprised. Our room overlooked a quiet road and was on a very peaceful corridor on the ground floor. Everything was very clean and decoration was fine.

Unfortunately the beds weren't very comfortable and also were quite creaky and noisy, meaning we constantly disrupted each other in the night if we moved even slightly. The bathroom was clean, but did look as if it needed a bit of a freshening up in terms of paintwork. The bath was very tiny and the shower head did look quite rusty, however was fairly powerful. The water temperature wasn't constant, so did get hotter and colder. I mention this as it is one of my pet hates when staying in a hotel! The most annoying thing was the shower curtain, which is of the material sort that has the habit of sticking to you as you try to shower. It's the little details like that which I think makes people expecting 4* facilities feel somewhat disappointed.

We had dinner in the hotel and found the staff very helpful and friendly. The menu was quite varied but also expensive for main courses. We were happy with the food for our starters, the fishcakes in particular were absolutely delicious, but we did find the steak and slow cooked beef a bit tough.

Overall we had a pleasant enough stay, but I'm not sure I would choose this hotel again if we visited the area in future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I bought this as a wedding anniversary package for my wife and I. Two nights stay with 3 course meals and breakfast.

We had some trepidation after I had booked it as we found some poor reviews. Although we both also read some good reviews.

The web views of the hotel you see are not of the hotel front but of the rear, and the front view isn't as nice. That said you're not looking at the front when you are in it! We received a pleasant welcome and everything was ready, and our table reservations confirmed. As we arrived earlier they offered to move the reservation earlier which we accepted.

The room was clean if a little compact but not to the extent it was cramped. Sheets, bedding etc all crisp and clean. We had a nice view of the rear of the hotel.

The evening menu wasn't massive but did have a reasonable selection and whilst it didn't change for the two nights we were there, there was enough variety to have different courses both nights. The breakfast is buffet style with a good choice. The food in general was of a good standard and we had no complaints at all with the food.

The mainstay of the staff are quite young but all very polite, friendly and helpful. One helped recommend a few places to go out in Chester on Saturday night and they were the places to go and very nice. We also bumped into him in one of these and he took the time to come over and check we were ok and if his choices were alright! (he was also helping serve breakfast the following morning!!).

The hotel is easy to find and only a short taxi into Chester so ideally situated for a night out, away for the city centre.

On the whole we could see why a few reviews say the hotel is dated. I would say a refurb in some parts wouldn't hurt. However it is clean and pleasant, the staff are friendly,and we saw no signs of the dirtiness or other bad comments we read.

We can't comment on the spa or leisure facilities as we didn't get time to use them.

The best comment I feel I can make is that we would have no qualms in returning and using this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room with a rear view will be nicer than a front facing one over the car park.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mpattenden
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Having pulled onto the car park I asked my wife 'Is this the right place?' as it looked nothing like the photos when I booked it. The car park was littered and the front of the hotel looked a bit of a mess.

The staff on the check in desk we're welcoming and helpful during our stay. The room and bathroom were both spacious and clean although the furniture looked 'second hand' and the decor was dated.

The hotel in general was a bit tired with thread bare seats, chipped and dented furniture, stained and pealing wallpaper, holes in some of the walls where doors had been swung open, wonky light fittings etc... There was a distinct lack of attention to detail that you would expect from a hotel/ spa retreat.

Not sure who or how much they've paid to get a 4 star rating, or when this was given but it needs to be reviewed and pronto. It served a purpose and was convenient to nip in and out of Chester town centre. Would I go back? No. Would I recommend it? No. If I'd paid full price I'd probably be a little more critical.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris N
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Bought a Mother's Day package from Thomas Cook, a night in a 4* hotel with afternoon tea and breakfast and use of the spa and facilities for £70 - bargain!
However, the 4* grading was obviously given about 20 years ago when the hotel was last refurbished.
Dingy, dirty, dated and scruffy I'd use to describe most of the place. Although the rooms bathroom seemed quite modern!
The greeting at reception on arrival was odd, I gave him the paperwork yet he proceeded to speak to my Mum saying how he's spoken to her a couple of times on the phone, which was odd as I was the lead on the booking and no one had spoken on the phone?
We were told breakfast was to bd served between 7-8:30am.
We were given no info whatsoever about the spa or facilities, no times, pricing, offers etc - nothing at all.
The room was pleasant enough, basic but clean. The radiator did not work, the room was quite chilly at times.
The walls were paper thin, so much so our 'neighbours' woke us repeatedly throughout the night, coughing, laughing and talking! Not impressed at all!
The afternoon tea was beautiful, plentiful and fresh.
The breakfast was plentiful too, lots of choice, often things had run out and we had to find staff to replace ... Plates, milk.
We were quite disappointed by the dirty dining room, old dried up ketchup on the windows and radiators.
The dining chair handle was broken too and my mum trapped her hand in it a couple of times during breakfast!!
Shame we never got to make use of the facilities as it was part of the deal but we overall enjoyed our stay.
Wouldn't go back though!

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Emawick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
#12 of 45 in Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!