“Old fashioned”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Dublin, Ireland
“Old fashioned”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

In need of complete modernization, no lift bedrooms in bad need of facelift. Breakfast terrible everything served luke warm.
Gave advance notice that the wife is a coeliac and would require gluten free bread at least
for breakfast but the breakfast staff not in least bit interested. Reception staff very friendly.
Would not stay here again and definitely not recommend it to any of our friends.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Chipping Norton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went to Chester for a wedding which was wonderful but the hotel was not. Although the staff tried valiently there were too many failings. Breakfast was very poor. Tea was a tea bag and hot (not boiling) water from a jug. There was no soap in the bathroom. No sweeteners available in the room or at breakfast. On the other hand, the staff were helpful and friendly and Chester is a great city.

Room Tip: Ask to be near reception
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights over the bank holiday and after some reviews we were a little apprehensive! The reception area was nice, clean and staff were friendly... We were greeted in the corridor up to our room (which seemed 'out of the way' by the manager who referred to us as from 'Mancs land' some would find it rude and insulting but we just laughed it off! The room was clean, although the soap dispensers were previously used as they had dints in and were half empty! Electricals hadn't been PAT tested for 2 years either! :/ We had two single beds which wasn't an issue, one of the chairs was ripped and the window opened a little too wide which was dangerous! Furniture was old and struggled to use the dressing table with no chair! My partner found stains on his sheets on our second night but the beds and towels were replenished and re-made! Our view was nice from the room which overlooked the outside gardens! On Sunday there was a wedding which the reception was set with champagne glasses used to make a love heart, a harp player and drinks to serve after the ceremony! Although we witnessed a member of the bar staff making these drinks for the guests and adding ice to the glasses using his fingers... Slightly off putting!! Safe to say I won't have my wedding there... Breakfast in the mornings was served under hot lights with a variety of bread and cereal to choose from... Juice was served in jugs but we found it was warm and beans and meat were cold... The bar was okay, until a member of staff finally came to serve.. £1.50 for a standard bag of crisps and £10 for 2 drinks... Take plently of cash! We ate in the restaurant on our last night and we couldn't fault it... Little pricey but very good food... In all a nice hotel with pleasant staff but could do with a referb!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren J
Littleborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We went to this hotel for a spa day 2 weeks ago for myself and my 2 daughters. The staff that were on the reception took ages to book us in and then almost threw a cup of coffee at us when we asked for a drink. The facilities are dirty, dusty and unfit for purpose. The changing room is filthy with many light bulbs not working. I told the manager on duty and showed him the photos I had taken and he appeared shocked as he said he had never been in there. We had afternoon tea which was dried up salmon sandwiches and cake and no drinks - I had to purchase them separately. The whole experience was terrible and we left after only 3 hours after paying for a full day which in itself was expensive. The managers need to look at these poor reviews and make comments.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Pippa517

Travellers are raving about these Mollington hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

As usual I read previous reviews and was filled with dread but we were pleasantly surprised.
The staff were wonderful our room was basic but clean, the food was all delicious.
The pool is a good size could do with a refurb in the changing rooms showers and steam room especially.
We had a back massage in the spa the beauticians were very professional and friendly and the massage was amazing the best I've ever had I would definitely recommend that.
All in all we enjoyed our stay but would we return probably not.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy B
Fintan G, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Wendy

Thank you for your recent review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and your spa treatments and I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team in leisure.

I will also let the chef know that you found his food delicious.

Stockton on Tees
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is like faulty towers half the switches and sockets don't work a stale sandwich and cake in the wardrobe cutlery not clean STAY AWAY YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED glasses in dining room not clean asked for some clean cutlery twice I had to send them back as they were not clean

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank driver2801
Dear Coach Driver
Thank you for your review and firstly may apologies for the items of food that a previous long staying guest had left on a shelf in the wardrobe. This should have been picked up by the housekeeping team and I have spoken to them regarding this to ensure they are checking as per their procedures.

I however don’t understand your comment regarding half the switches and sockets not working in your room as this is not the case and whilst we changed your cutlery and glassware upon your request on inspection we found no issue with this.
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Having booked online the hotel looked lovely; a well represented 4* hotel....however the reality was a lot more grim.
Myself an my partner checked into the hotel and swiftly checked straight back out!

- Dirty; there was rubbish on the corridor, kegs we had to climb over as they blocked the corridor, inches of dust on the bedroom furniture, the sheets were stained, the bathroom was dirty and there were cup stains on the furniture.

- Smelly; the bathroom had a very over powering smell of damp and the room smelt unaired and musty.

- Not 4* quality; no one offered to take our bags to the room, the bed sheet/valance didn't fit the bed, the "white" towels were grey, there was one bottle of mineral water provided for two guests in the room & the bed was hard to sit on.

We checked into another hotel in Chester that evening as we could not bear to stay there and we met a couple who had stayed there and said that it was like that one year before when they were supposed to stay but had checked out immediately!

Would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Clare0270
Dear Clare
Thank you for your recent review and I am disappointed to hear your comments.
At the time when you arrived it was still in the middle of the day and the housekeeping team were still working hence their trollies and black bags of rubbish were still on the corridors were they were working but these were removed as they finished.
Also there were a couple of barrels outside the cellar were a barrel change was being done, but I believe it is an exaggeration to say that you had to climb over them as they were not blocking the corridor but at the side outside the cellar door leaving ample space for people to get by.
I also understand that you are asthmatic and I apologize for the dust that you found in your room however again I believe it is an exaggeration to say inches of dust, however I have spoken to the housekeeping team regarding this.
We use an outside linen company for all our laundry requirements and I have not seen and grey towels only white on the premises.
I apologise that that we didn’t meet your standards on this occasion and ask if you are visiting the area again that you give me a call personally so I might see what we can do for you.

Fintan Gavin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 44 in Chester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,597 reviews

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!