“Mid Week Chester Break”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa for a three day mid week break.
Myself and my wife were absolutley delighted with the whole experience. We had booked into a double room which fully met our requirements, the staff were polite and attentitive without being overpowering. Whist checking in, the manager recommended the hotel restuarant and the current deal that was running. We duly booked a table and were so impressed that we booked a table for each of the three nights that we stayed. The food and service were excellent.
The hotel has full spa and fitness facilities that are included, unfortunatley we were unable to take advantage due to full agenda. The hotel Operations Manager always made a point to come and speak to us whenever she saw us in the public areas and gave us great local information.
We will certainly return to this hotel as we had a such a fantastic time that the staff greatly contributed to.

3  Thank JimRaff

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We have just returned from a 5 day stay and we had a wonderful time. The staff couldn't have been more helpful or hard working, even hanging out my husbands dive kit to dry in the laundry room! The food was excellent, breakfast quickly replenished if it ran out and cooked to order on the last day as they were catering for a large German coach party so had laid out a continental choice for them. The pool was clean and very warm. Overall a great place to stay only marred by very noisy inconsiderate guests on Saturday after a wedding.

Room Tip: We didn't gave a great view but it didn't matter as we were there to sleep and eat!
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight, family of four with Chester zoo tickets included. We had a nice time but the hotel should not be advertising as a four star.
Negatives: check in is advertised as 2pm but we were told it is really 3pm. This needs changing on the confirmation email sent out to guests. There was no wine, kids goody bags in our room, which we had paid for. The fair-haired lady on reception was lovely and very apologetic. Telephone in the room wasn't working which meant a couple of treks down to reception to ask for the above as well as an iron we couldn't find (but eventually did: on top of the very high wardrobe).
However, the biggest disappointment was the restaurant. Extremely expensive for basic standard food. My Daughter ordered chicken tenderloin with green beans as advertised on the kids menu for £6, she received chicken nuggets, chips and beans!!?? I ate a quarter of my main meal because it was awful: overcooked salmon and mushy 'risotto'. I complained to the waiter who collected our plates, he simply said he would tell the chef. Sadly, dessert was no better with a highly questionable cheesecake. I wasn't happy and when the bill arrived I complained again (which is something I am not usually comfortable with). They did deduct my main meal and the head waiter was very polite and apologetic. In my opinion they need to lower their pricing or employ a much better chef.
Unfortunately, there were also problems at breakfast. The main one was having to use a push down lid flask to make your own tea / coffee in small cups. The water was only ever warm and I had to keep going back to refill. I also had a long wait for replenishing the cooked breakfast items but again the lady in the restaurant at the time was lovely and very apologetic.
In summary, it's no good having lovely staff who are keen to apologise. The issues that lead to their apologies should be addressed by management.

Positives: our room was lovely, spacious, clean and away from the noise of the wedding reception. We had a great nights sleep. We took the kids to the pool and used the jacuzzi and steam room which were all fine. They had a pianist playing in the bar which was quite nice after our dinner.
Such a shame about the negatives because the hotel has the potential to be better than the standard 3 star, that in my opinion, it currently is.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Louise D
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Great stay overnight here dinner was luch rooms are great and breakfast was great the room was a little diffrent a single but had 2 seprate rooms and you hade stairs to go down to bed only thin room could have done with was a sofa and tv in the other room to relax insted of tv next to bed

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This is the worst hotel I've stayed in! We paid £190 for a family room and felt it was a complete rip off. I would agree with other reviews the hotel needs a lick of paint and modernising. The bathroom was very run down and toilet didn't flush properly. There seemed to be a lack of staff as the receptionist was also serving in the bar and this resulted in us having to wait to be served. The drinks were expensive and the bar seating area was dirty. At breakfast we were kept waiting to be seated and had to ask for bowls and for the food to be replenished. There's no lift which isn't good when you've been put in a family room on the first food with a 2 year old, who obviously requires a pushchair!

I would not recommend this hotel to anybody and will certainly not be returning.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Kerrie P
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Terrible food, poorly presented. Absolutely disgraceful service, worse I've ever had. Ages to be seated and then food and tea just dumped on table, never seen waitress again, not even as we were leaving. Afternoon tea was rubbish

I'd avoid, it's not somewhere I'd like to go back to

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank twar1979
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Having received a voucher as a gift myself and my husband booked in for Afternoon tea here and have just returned home utterly disappointed. On walking to reception we asked where to go and were pointed in the direction of the dining room. There was nobody there to greet us so we waited for a waitress who took us to our table. She asked if we would like tea or coffee to which we both replied tea. Once she had walked away I noticed that my cup had lipstick marks all over one side and the saucer was so sticky from obviously not being washed. I pointed this out to the waitress and asked for a replacement only to be told 'yeah I don't blame ya', not even an apology for the poor cleanliness. The tea came, one pot between the two of us. My husband had to go and take a pot of sugars off another table as we didn't have any and weren't offered any. The sandwiches and cakes arrived, nicely enough presented, cream cheese and cucumber, smoked salmon and egg mayonnaise. The cakes were a lemon cheesecake, strawberry tarts and two scones which were all soggy and wet underneath. The sandwiches were barely edible with bread that I would have struggled to feed birds with and the cakes appeared stale and very tasteless. Not once were we approached by a waitress/waiter to ask if everything was ok or if we'd like more tea or anything else. We ate what we could of our afternoon tea and left without seeing anybody. It seems you are served your food and then the staff just disappear. We would have complained if there had been anyone to complain to but decided we'd had enough of the experience and decided to leave. Totally disappointing and utterly bad customer service. Needless to say we won't be returning and will not be recommending this to friends and family. Such a huge disappointment for what we had hoped would be an enjoyable afternoon treat.

2  Thank GaynorW14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 45 in Chester
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!