“Worst Hotel in the UK; possibly on Earth!!!”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Greenville, NC
“Worst Hotel in the UK; possibly on Earth!!!”
Reviewed 24 July 2009

My wife and I recently visited the UK and this is the place where we stayed during the second night of our trip. From the moment we got to this hotel, there seemed to be confusion about how to check a person in. We were finally given a room and I then asked if there were any good restaurants in the area. Both people at the desk told me that they weren’t sure because they weren’t from the area. Then a third employee came up and amazingly enough he didn’t know either. I find it terribly odd that no one in the hotel seemed to be from the area. So, due to the lack of restaurant possibilities, we decided to just go to our room and possibly order room service. I told the lady at the front desk that we needed a wakeup call because we needed to catch the ferry to Ireland the next morning. I watched her write it down and thought nothing of it from that point on.
The room itself was very nicely decorated but unfortunately that is the only positive thing I can say about this place. We got up to the room and I called room service. No answer. I waited 5 min. still no answer. I then decided to call the front desk to see if they were still serving room service. No answer. I went down to the desk. No one to be found. I went back up and kept trying to call both the front desk and room service. Finally 30 min. later someone at room service answered and we were finally able to order our food. After we received our food, we ate and laughed and thought the worst of our troubles were over.
The next morning I wake up, not to a wakeup call but on my own. We had slept in. No wake up call. We now needed to skip breakfast, get ready and be out the door in 15 min. so as not to miss the ferry. We then notice that the shower curtain is about half the size of the tub so there is no way to prevent water from going all over the floor. Still, we somehow managed to get downstairs to check out with time to get to the ferry. I get to check out and the lady tells me how much the bed and breakfast combo comes to. I then told her that due to the fact that we didn’t receive the wakeup call that we requested, there was no time for breakfast, so I didn’t feel like I should have to pay for it. She then proceeded to argue and waist my valuable time in front of her customers about how she was going to have to charge me for a breakfast that we didn’t get. Finally she said she would take it off. I then waited 10 more min. for her to figure out how to do that. Once she had finally given me the bill (and I had regretted not just paying the extra 15 pounds) I paid. She took my credit card to her scanner and scanned it. She then went to the printer to get my receipt and gave it to me and said, “okay, your all set”. I, being very late at this point, took the receipt and was out the door. … Without my credit card. Thanks to some speeding, I did make the ferry, but I was already on the Ferry to Ireland before I had realized I left my card. I realize the credit card thing was half my fault because I should have made sure I had my card before leaving the hotel. All attempts to call them to instruct them to cut up my credit card were futile because their phone has been disconnected and it wasn’t until I was able to get to a computer a week later back in the US before I could e-mail them to tell them what to do about the credit card. After all this, this ended up being the most expensive hotel on our trip. Overall this hotel was the nightmare of all nightmares for hotel stays. Looking back, it still hard to believe that all of this actually happened. But it did.
Trust me, you should never ever stay in this hotel! Never!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JSDrummer1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Berkshire
Reviewed 24 June 2009

I have found this hotel to be absolutely remarkable. I stayed in the Crowne Plaza for the first few days but it seemed just so impersonal. I didn't 'feel' comfortable, it seemed most people at my work are only staying there because of the 'Points' they receive.

I wanted a hotel that felt like home, there's such a 'warm' feeling when staying there. I'm there now for the next couple of months and I look forward to going there on the Monday morning. The rooms feel homely, the staff are so friendly and the gym is very good indeed. They have a great swimming pool and spa and the bars are great. The grounds are beautiful and I'm looking forward to bringing my wife with me one day to spend a relaxing evening or weekend there in the gardens. I totally recomend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Nosnibor35
UK
Reviewed 6 April 2009

Stayed here for the one night at the beginning of March as a late Valentine's treat. Room was OK; decent size and generally clean although some of the paint was starting to come off the ceiling in the bathroom. Pool and Spa facilities are a bit dated, but again were generally clean. Breakfast was served buffet style, which isn't our preferred option, but was reasonable enough.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank saint-buzz
Cheshire
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Hotel fronts on to the grounds so plain from the road but once you get in a real nice surprise as the lounge and bar are very elegant. Staff really friendly and leisure is great, even has squash. Restaurant was very busy but ordered bar snack which was good. Nice room looked to have been upgraded fairly recently.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Karibukid
LANCASHIRE,UK
Reviewed 19 February 2009

One thing i will say is that the staff [when you find them] are great. Not sure whether it's because of current economic downturn or not but the staff were multi-tasking like nothing i''ve ever seen.
The food is very good but our room was afwul. Stayed overnight with a girlfriend for a rest and to sample the spa.
The cornicing in the room was filled with silicone, was mouldy and was falling apart, as was the window frame in the bathroom, the loo roll holder was holding onto the wall by the skin of it's teeth. The radiator was so hot you couldn't put your hand on it, there was no thermostat so couldn't turn it off so spent an anxious and boiling night trying to sleep as we had the windows open which led out onto a flat roof so was very concerned about security. On a plus note, the heated towel rail worked!!
The spa was not the best to be honest. There were two women, my friend [pregant] had the older woman whilst i got the young girl. The treatment was good and i was very relaxed. I was escorted to the relaxation room and my friend eventually arrived and we compared notes as we had the same treatment She got a salt scrub but i didn't, I got a shower but no shower mitt or gel to help me remove my algea which was all over me, whereas she did! She even got assitance with her back due to her condition which we thought was brilliant - i didn't even get soap!!!
Our relaxation was brought to a complete stop by the young girl banging her way into the room to ask which hotel room we were in so she could charge it to our bill, and that sort of put an end to that!!
This lack of consistency really ruined the experience for me so should you go to the spa i'd ask for the other lady.
There was also a funeral party in the hotel and it was a bit disconcerting for us so no idea how they felt upon arriving at the hotel to have no-one to great them and show them the way to their room for the wake, not even a sign, which i thought was very poor.
The food is good and the service in the restuarant is very good so top marks there.
Other than that i wouldn't be returning. The place needs an overhaul, the decor is dated, and whilst the lounge and restuarant look good in the evening [there's a reason for the low lighting] in the day the true state of the wallpaper is revealed.
No robes or slippers are provided in the spa either which again ,we thought was a bit poor.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank UDDERSUNITED
brookKent, Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2009
We were extremely sorry to read that yo were not entirely happy with your stay at the Mollington Banastre Hotel and truely believe that your experience is not the normal experience our guests are treated. It would appear you were allocated one of our remaining rooms due for refurbishment and the comments you have raised are in hand and are not reflective of the general state of the property and the bedrooms.

I would very much like to invite youback as my personal guest to demonstrate how we usually treat our guest on a spa visit at our hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Mollington hotels

accrington
Reviewed 19 February 2009

My wife and I seized on an opportunity to have a couple of days away while the kids were on a school trip.We had a best Western Gift card and decided to book two nights at the Molly B after readig some favourable reviews. We booked DB&B for two nights and upgraded to an Executive room.On arrival everything was fine we were a little dissapointed when shown to our room because it didnt have the wow factor we expected and looked a little tired,however it had everything we needed,was spacious and spottlesley clean.Breakfast and dinner were excellent,we mixed the menu of the day with the a la cart and found it great. the leisure club has everything you could want although I just used the pool and sauna. The staff were friendly and attentive, location was fine,£4.60 in a taxi into chester. The only thing I didnt like was that is was so warm allover the Hotel! Please turn the heating down! Although my wife loved it,must be a man thing!. All in all a good break and would definitely recommend

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Very West Wales
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I stayed here for Valentines weekend as a suprise trip for my partner, as his birthday falls on the same day. We spent the weekend in Chester initially based in the Best Western Westminster Hotel in the city centre, and as a relaxing treat the remainder of the holiday weekend was to be in the spa hotel. As many people have commented, the picture that they use on their website is not actually the front of the hotel, it is actually taken from the back gardens of the hotel overlooking the conservatory garden restaurant! However, do not be put off by this, as initially my heart sunk when I saw the building, I personally thought it looked like an upkept 70's block of flats, but as you walk into the main doors, you can see exactly wher the quality and comfort begins. The reception areas, dining room, conservatory restaurant were delightful decorated and very well maintained.However,the corridors which lead to various rooms could all do with some modernising and decorating, but overall, facilities and room sizes are fantastic! The evening meal and its delivery was top class silver service with the food at such a high quality it is hard to explain exactly how good it was! THE BEST food we have ever, ever sampled! And trust me it had to be good as we do eat out ALOT! We had a piano player in the background with the atmosphere being very realxed. Staff are brilliant and can cater for every need you may have. The gym facilities are amazing and the equipment is fantastic with a huge variety of cardio and muscle traininers. The spa facilities are good too, albeit a little small- about 4 people per sauna/steam room. This review is definately not a complaint and for me the hotel was brilliant, however it is hard to always get a true picture of what really happens in the hotels as they always want to promote themselves. I hope this helps, and like I said although the initial looks are deceiving, once inside the hotel it is a brilliant place!

• Liked — the food was spectacular
  • Disliked — quite dated decorating
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 44 in Chester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,595 reviews

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!