5 people are viewing this hotel
eDreamsUS$136
Trip.comUS$128
PricelineUS$122
2,393 results
All reviews four poster bed cheshire oaks chester city centre short break full english visiting chester clive gym facial
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

The food here has not improved. The roast potatoes looked as though they had been pre cooked some time ago and heated up. There was no sugar provided with the coffee and we had to ask for forks to go with the spoons for dessert. Attention to detail is needed in this restaurant. The tables were nicely laid with white tablecloths and the whole room looked very nice and welcoming. However the food needs to be improved upon and then they would attract more customers.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
DUmmat, Director at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Coppington
I can see that this is the third time you have reviewed a dining experience with us at the Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel and Spa and I am sorry to read that you were not entirely satisfied. Please email me on info@brook-hotels.co.uk should you decide to revisit so that I can ensure that Chef and the restaurant team look after you and your guests.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Positives;
Nice location, good sized and clean room. easy access to city and local attractions.
Negatives;
Getting dated and a little scruffy, poor service at breakfast. Bar very expensive and slow service.
This was are 2nd visit, the last being 10 years ago, As above the hotel is showing a lot of wear and tear and is in need of upgrade to warrant the 4-star rating.
we didn't have time to use the spa so I cant review that but the other couple we went with did, sorry but never asked what they thought.
the breakfast was decent although service slow, we had to wait 15 minutes to ask for coffee/tea as you just pick a table when you arrive and only 2 members of staff to cover 40-50 tables.
Summary;
They say never go back and we felt it a shame as the last time we went it was perfect, pull your socks up Banastre it get back to where you could/should be.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear William B
Thank you for your feedback today and I do hope that you had a successful outing to the Chester Races. I am sorry that your experience on this occasion did not match an earlier visit some time ago and I have passed your comments regarding the service levels and breakfast to the General Manager to discuss with his team . I am a little disappointed to read that you felt the hotel was dated, especially as the public areas and corridors have been redecorated and re carpeted in the last 6 months. Many of the rooms have all been decorated and although we have a few left to do as part of this rolling programme of improvements , I do hope that you will come back to stay with tis the new time you attend the races.

Reviewed 3 August 2017

Possibly one of the worst visits to a hotel my Mum and I have ever had.

I had booked a one night stay in a twin room including bed and breakfast, cream tea with a glass of bubbly and a spa treatment. This was for my Mum's 70th birthday, so a special occasion.

We arrived at 2.30pm, 15th July to find a small queue at the reception desk, here is then a list of the events:

1) The receptionist was extremely slow and almost appeared apathetic. A wedding party arrived whilst we were queuing (a very strange time for the hotel to arrange for the wedding party to arrive- at check in time?) There were two people ahead of us in the queue, before our turn came another man (a wedding guest) leant on the reception desk, pushing in front of us, the receptionist served him before us, even though it was obvious that we were first and he had pushed in. The receptionist then informed us that our room wasn't ready at 2.45pm, even though at this point 3 others had checked in before us. I explained we had a cream tea booked. She said very curtly that we could go to restaurant to have that. She gave us no other help as to what we actually had to do. She then said our room would be ready in 15 minutes. We asked what to do with our bags, she made us come around to the side of the reception office to hand over our bags. At no point was she polite or apologetic, or even helpful.

2) We found a table in the restaurant (there was no one to greet us) A waitress then asked us what we wanted, we explained that we were booked in for a cream tea. We tried to explain that the receptionist had been less than helpful, she didn't seem bothered and pointed out that there was a wedding. Our cream tea was brought out to us- it looked very pretty and tasted nice, although we had no plates to use. So my Mum and I spent the whole time trying to lean across the table to cut our scones and then try not to drop crumbs everywhere- I feel this was less than satisfactory, unfortunately we didn't see another member of staff to ask for plates.

3) We finished our cream tea and went back to the check in desk at 3.25pm to get our room and bags. The original receptionist was finishing her shift and still managed not to smile as she left. We were then told yet again that our room was not ready! The new receptionist was much more pleasant and said she would go and check. The receptionist arrived and said she 'thought' our room was ready. She then checked the computer again and said it was. She checked us in and asked if I wanted to pay then, when I said I would she then announced the cost loudly in front of my Mum (as I've already said and put on my reservation, it was for her 70th birthday!) I paid and we asked for our bags. Again we were told to come round to the office to get them, as we walked into the office we were confronted by a blow up sex doll in plain sight which was a little inappropriate to say the least. We then had to walk into the main office to hunt down our bags (mine had been dumped on a chair). We then made our way to our room.

4) We walked into the room to find it was a double bed even though I had specifically booked a twin, as close as my Mum and I are we would rather not share a bed. Although the small birthday cake on the dresser was a nice touch thank you, I would have preferred some decent customer service to make my Mum's birthday celebrations special. I then traipsed back to the reception desk and explained the error in rooms, only to be told that on the system I had booked a double room, this is incorrect, my confirmation states a twin room. Once the receptionist had changed our room and given me some new key cards I then hiked back to the room to lug our bags (and the cake and plates) even further along to our new room, which was a twin, only one of the key cards worked though. I then realised I needed to charge my phone, after trying 3 plug sockets I finally found one that worked, astonishing in the 21st Century. We had a quick sit down to take in the service we had received so far and to speculate whether Basil Fawlty worked in this hotel. Having looked at my invoice I realised that we should have had a 'glass of bubbly' with our cream tea, so off we rambled to reception again to point this out, the receptionist took some time to check that I wasn't fibbing and indeed we should have had this treat of drink but alas that had been forgotten along with the plates. She then said that if we spoke to the bar staff we could get them at any point (yet another awkward conversation to look forward to).

5) We then went down to the spa for our treatments. When we arrived we were greeted by another receptionist who explained what we had to do but then asked for a cash deposit for a padlock, something that both my Mum and myself have not experienced before. £10 was swiftly taken from my Mum, with a promise to return our padlock (and any others we might come across in the changing rooms as some had gone missing) Off we went to the changing rooms which could have been a little cleaner and clearer to navigate. We then had only 5 minutes spare before our treatments due to the delay in your hotel staff and the handling of our booking. We came back up to the spa reception only to be told that she was on the phone and would bring our pre-treatment forms into the lounge for us, I had to check where the lounge was, having not visited the hotel before. The lounge tables had not been cleared so it felt a little uncomfortable sitting in our dressing gowns around dirty plates and cups. Two beauticians then walked past us extremely casually, both eating, one stopped to ask us what treatments we were having and the other went behind the bar. The first told the one behind the bar to come and do a facial (my Mum), they both sauntered over to us, still eating and then led us to our treatment rooms. We had not been given our forms to fill in, as far as anyone knew we could have been allergic to some of the products used or had back problems etc. This health and safety issue was obviously not a priority at your spa. Although the beautician I had was a little less than professional in her manner the treatment she gave me was stunning (a shame that I was left for 10 minutes on my own at the beginning out of the 25 minute treatment, as was my Mum) We both agreed that our 15 minute treatments were very good.

*The highlight of our stay was then swimming in the pool and immersing ourselves in the very hot Jacuzzi. This maybe was because none of the staff were involved.*

6) We then walked back through the hotel in our dressing gowns, past the wedding which I'm sure added to their special day, and back to reception. We then saw that there was a big queue at the bar and rather than stand there in our dressing gowns which would not have been favourable to anyone concerned ,we asked the receptionist if someone would mind bringing the 'glasses of bubbly' that we were owed to our room due to the situation. We were informed that yes they would try even though the bar staff were very busy as there was a wedding. Off we trekked back to our room where we began to get ready for our meal out. We both found the dancing around the room to avoid the difficulties in movement of one working plug situated behind the dresser for two women getting ready, a little on the tricky side, but thank goodness my Mum at 70 is still very spritely. After 30 minutes we phoned reception to ask if our drinks were anywhere to be seen, the response was 'I'll try and remind them', 15 minutes later our drinks arrived, only 4 hours after we should have had them so all was not lost.

*We then went out for out dinner and slept- a positive note here that the curtains were indeed black out and therefore satisfactory*

7) Off we went to breakfast, hoping this would be the redeeming factor. We walked past several still drunk men sprawled on sofas which would not be my chosen early morning greeting but then thankfully there were four staff members to greet us for breakfast and actually show which way to go, no one seated us but you can't have everything. We then worked out that we had to help ourselves. We both tried some fruit, yoghurt and compote (the range of fruit was little on the sparse side, although the size of the melon slices could have served Gulliver well whilst in Lilliput, and the compote had sadly given up on fruit and had reduced itself to a jus). I then decided to treat myself to a cooked breakfast, I avoided the sausages which looked a little undesirable and found myself disappointed in that there were only fried eggs available, no scrambled or poached. Yes there were cold boiled eggs still in their shell in the continental section but they would have been out of their comfort zone on a plate with hot food. The plates actually would have faired better with our cream tea due to their size, rather than breakfast.

8) We finally packed up and left before check out time as we couldn't bear to spend any longer in a hotel that was not as described on your website. I wish that we had experienced style and comfort, and a warm welcome would have been lovely. The hospitality was less than satisfactory and if this is true to the spirit of Brook Hotels then I am extremely concerned. This was at best a 3 star hotel with a lot to be desired. The hotel itself is definitely in need of a facelift and I would advise recruitment of staff who actually want to work there and look after it's guests. Our parting view was a member of staff picking cans out of the beautiful hydrangeas out the front.

Overall, a disheartening experience and one that I felt embarrassed towards my Mum as her 70th birthday present.

Therefore I wrote an email of complaint to the Hotel Manager and Brook Hotels- no response. I had to chase for a reply- TWICE!! A week after my complaint Brook came back to me (after I chased them) to offer 20% refund (ridiculous) but would not offer more than 30% (a measly £57 which lets be honest only covers the treatments!!!)

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
12  Thank Ljobbo
DUmmat, Director at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2017

To all potential guests and visitors please be aware that there are always two sides to every story.
The concerns raised here were looked into and addressed.

Dear Ljobb
You sent the exact same letter to us directly and accepted in good faith the refund I offered. You were compensated for the issues that you raised and it is obviously disappointing to read that despite this you have chosen to post.

Regards
Denise Ummat.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

My husband and I were given a Buyagift voucher, and as we had already had an enjoyable stay at the Brook Mollington Hotel, a couple of years ago, we decided to book for a 2-night stay, to help celebrate my birthday. During the booking process, he asked for a floor other than a ground floor, (This is due to personal reasons).
We arrived for check-in and our room had already been allocated, and we were given a ground floor room. I asked for a higher floor, and you would think i had asked for the keys to Buckingham Palace!! Let's just say the customer service was not in my eyes adequate. We were given room 17, on the 2nd floor. We walked up to our room, and felt we were going into the heavens, but we had asked for a high floor, so was happy to accept this. The room needed a lot of updating and looked very old and tired, but it was clean so that was okay.
Then we spent 2 nights in this room! Where do I begin!
The floor was very uneven, especially around the wardrobe and the bathroom floor was very bad. The noise the floor made when you walked on it, was unacceptable. On walking past the wardrobe, it shook and I thought it could fall. One night, I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I was trying to keep quiet, as my husband was asleep, but the noise of the floor was loud that it woke him up. Consequently, I tried not to go to the bathroom the second night, in case I woke him up again.
After an hour of checking in, we left the hotel to go for dinner at the nearby Cheshire Oaks, and returned around 9.30pm. We got ready for bed, and thought about having a coffee whilst watching TV. There was no coffee, other than Decaf, which my husband will not drink! We got into bed, but there is only a lamp on one side of the bed, which meant that if my husband decided to sleep, I had to then get out of bed if I needed to put a light on or turn it off. If someone was in the single bed, they could not see at all. God forbid, if there was a child in the single bed and needed someone in the night......I would have to get out the bed, walk around near the wardrobe and hope it does not fall on you, just to put a lamp on. Total inconvenient and not suitable for a hotel room.
The remote for the TV did not work.
We then decided to try to get some sleep......try being the word! The weather had been lovely, but the room was extremely hot, so I looked for a fan, but lo and behold, there wasn’t one, so I opened a window. The noise from the main road meant that sleep was only a word that night, as it was truly uncomfortable. Surely the least the hotel should do is have fans in the room. Hotels I have stayed at, with lower ratings have fans in the rooms during the summer months.
So far, this relaxing few nights away, was not looking good. I had to close the window around 6 am (not yet slept more than two and a half hours), and tried to get some sleep, only to be woken up at around 6.30 by 2 people standing outside our door, shouting. It sounded like they worked in the hotel and were going to start a shift. I gave up my sleep for that night....NOT HAPPY!
Once my husband had woken up, I decided to have a shower. This was not the best shower I have used in a hotel, but hey ho. My issue with that is there is NO handles to help you get in and out the shower. I have issues with my knee, and I struggled to get out the bath / shower and ended up hurting my knee further. Surely there should be a handle to hold onto to, as this could cause an accident. Again, this to me is unacceptable.
The second night in the hotel was just as bad, but the good thing was that the room did not feel as warm, so I managed to get around 4 hours sleep. There was still no coffee, the tray had not been filled, the tissues had not been replaced, so we still had an empty box, and the remote control still did not work. I even woke up with bite marks on my ankle.
All in all, this was meant to be a nice relaxing birthday weekend, but instead it was making us both really stressed and annoyed. I will not be recommending this hotel and very much doubt one I will return to if we decide to visit Chester again. I was hugely disappointed by the room but also the reception staff. We felt like we were given this room because we asked to be moved. The hotel was not packed, so we could have had a room in a better part of the hotel, instead of being placed in a room which was so run down. The curtains were moth eaten and the floor was fraying. Were we given a room unlike the ones on the website because we were using a voucher?
On the back of the door were the evacuation policy, although this was covered over by the mirror and a floor plan, surely this is illegal, and not very Health & Safety aware.
To be honest, this ruined our much-needed break, as we were so tired due to lack of sleep, we did not want to do mush during the day and even left Chester early for the 3-hour drive home, as we both were exhausted.
On a positive note, the breakfast food and the breakfast staff were fantastic, and very attentive and polite. When you stop in a hotel, the most important things you pay for are the bed and the breakfast, shame the bed part let it down. The hotel itself seemed very nice, but the points I have made really let it down.
I have emailed the hotel twice regarding my comments, yet, NO ONE has bothered to respond. It appears that the lack of customer service is not just the reception staff, but the manager as well.

Room tip: Don't ask for a high floor, you wont get it!!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank scanner24
DUmmat, Director at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear scanner24
I am concerned to read of your review today. We always appreciate all feedback and regardless of its nature and it is always very disappointing for us to read that any of our guests have left the hotel so unhappy. I can only apologise that the hotel have not responded to you to date and would appreciate it if you would contact me directly on info@brook-hotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

I have been staying in this hotel over the past 2 weeks, and plan to spend 5 days each week until the end of August.
The staff could not be more helpful, always available. The rooms are very comfortable with crisp white bedding, fluffy white towels, very nice toiletries. The hotel itself is very quiet and relaxing with excellent facilities.
The buffet breakfast is vast and good quality. Bar meals are good quality, and the evening meals are delicious.
Thoroughly enjoyable stay, I will not stay anywhere else in Chester.

Room tip: All rooms are quiet, but the rooms overlooking the indoor pool are silent overnight.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
DUmmat, Director at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear jcjowle
I am delighted to read that you are enjoying your time with us at The Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel and Spa. We do appreciate how difficult it is to stay away from home for such extended periods of time and it is lovely to read that all the team at the hotel have made you feel most welcome. Please just let us know if there is any more we can do to make your stay more comfortable.