“A good option if booked at a bargain rate”

Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mollington
Birmingham
“A good option if booked at a bargain rate”
Reviewed 5 January 2011

I visited this hotel on a New Year package (dinner/disco and two nights B&B) and for £170 each we were very satisfied. If I'd paid top notch rates, I would have expected more.

Good points:
- helpful, friendly staff
- location (2 miles from Chester city centre)
- leisure club
- good quality food, good coffee :)
- large rooms

Not so good:
- this hotel is clearly run on a tight budget and they seem to have cut corners on decor and maintenance (not a big issue for the price I paid though)
- breakfast could have offered more choice (especially for vegetarians). I enjoyed the sauteed mushrooms on day one, but these had disappeared on the second day! Orange juice was from concentrate
- the swimming pool water had a strange taste, but looked clean otherwise

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
ChesterManager, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 January 2011
and thank you for the positive points
I will discuss your comments about the breakfast with the chef
also on the pool water, we test the ph and clorine levels every 4 hours so I dont think there is any thing to worry about .
Mairead and team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Where to start with this lovely hotel, i was truely looking forward to staying in chester with my partner as we had previously been recommended this hotel by a friend.

But our stay was significantly better than we had expected, with a fantastic spa area, a great gym and swimming pool combination as well as hard working staff that made sure our stay was the best it could have been we were well and truely blown away considering the price we had paid.

I would definatley recommend this hotel to anybody as although our trip was in the cold month of november we were made to feel warm and welcomed by everybody within the hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mollington
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Very disappointed

My husband and I were looking forward to a nice stay in this four star hotel, I was very disappointed though. The room and furniture was very worn and dated, stains on carpets, noisy heater blowing and old tv set. The worst part was the bed; we could feel the springs coming through the mattress. I did tell the reception staff but they just told me sorry were fully booked and that they have recently replaced mattresses; I thought these must have been very cheap mattresses which they bought.

I wouldn’t stay at this hotel again, although I would use the facilities there and the breakfast was good. If you’re looking to book a four star accommodation and expect better than a budget room, you would do better to look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
ChesterManager, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 December 2010
I am sorry you had an uncomfortable nights sleep ,
I am delighted to inform you we are replacing our beds and also our television system in the new year
I am very pleased you enjoyed our leisure facilities and breakfast

Mairead and Team

Travellers are raving about these Mollington hotels

birmingham
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We travelled with some friends to this hotel with 2 of us paying full price and 2 of us paying a discounted rate! Thank God I didn't pay full price! The hotel from the front was very disheartening, it looks more like a block of council flats than a 4 star country hotel! The rooms were very outdated, could do with a lick of paint and the bathroom needed gutting, I don't go away to watch TV but whilst the Mrs is getting ready I like something to do, they did not even have freeview, just some preselected satellite channels. Very old system.

All was not bad the leisure facilities were fantastic, also the staff were friendly enough anf the breakfast was good. I think their tariff is in need of drastic change.

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Again one of the voucher visitors, read a few bad reviews after we got there and had afternoon tea (which was lovely) we didn't think the place was too bad at all!

5/6 mins to Chester in a taxicab so not bad at all, best not to drive as parking is very expensive in the centre.

Rooms are adequate, although I did read it has Sky TV & I don't really class the Freeview Channel of Sky News on Channel 82 as Sky TV!!?

Bit of a mess up on paying the bill as we were handed someone elses but this rectified quickly when we got home.

On the whole though a nice hotel & pleasant stay with friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
ChesterManager, General Manager at Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 December 2010
Thank you for your review, and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Mollington Banastre in the future.
Derby
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We stayed one night. The first room was cold and when I informed the receptionist she was extremely helpful - first tryng to get someone to come to attend to the non-working radiator then , when she could not she imediately offered us an alternative , upgraded room. The first room was very good- the second was lovely and included a four poster bed.
The pool and spa looked very good and we used the bar by the pool .We also had a bar snack in the main bar area. The food was o.k. , the service was ok , the room was a bit chilly.
Breakfast was resonable enough - but not four star.
When we checked out we were not asked to pay for the previous evenings bar snacks - somehow the tab we had signed had not been passed on.As we are honest people we paid but the hotels system obviously needs tweeking at the very least.
Overall we enjoyed the stay and felt it to be value for money ( we had use a groupon voucher ) even without the great upgrade but it felt like it could be improved - certainly a better system of tracking bar bills and maybe offers in the restaurant to encourge more people to use it ? I m not sure - i just felt it was not performing as well as it could.
If you get a good rate stay here - it s near enough to the city to use a taxi and Chester is a great city to explore.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review , and thank you for your honesty
Delighted to read you would return to us.
Best Regards
lancashire
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Again another person who bought a groupon voucher, and had read a few of the reviews before going so expectations were not too high, so I am glad to say for the price we got it was more than value for money. Car park spacious, receptionist could not have been more helpful. Room overlooked gardens and was clean, with flat screen tv, Gilcrest Soames toiletries, clean white toweling. We took a wander down to the spa, and it looked lovely and only wished forgetful hubby had remembered to bring his trunks, so that we could have made the most of the quiet pool and jacuzi. We had already booked a table in a town centre restaurant, so reception kindly ordered a cab for us and it was under £6.00 for the drive in, so it shows how near to the town centre it is. The positive points in this hotel are the staff, very friendly and willing to help out and it came across that they were very genuine. The breakfast was ample, with both buffet style and cooked ensureing that you leave full, all well cooked and efficiently served. The lounge was roomy and comfortable. Bad point for us was the heat in the rooms and we were not sure how to turn it down, so we baked all night, the window was broken and didn't have a handle on it. I last stayed in this hotel 20 years ago when it was probably in it's prime, so I yes would agree with most of the comments that the hotel could do with a refresh, but Best Western obviously sold it on before they began spending money to refresh it and the current owners are obviously doing what they can to get the revenue in, so we can but hope that they do invest in a needed refresh. That said from what we saw the hotel is clean and if you don't look too cloesly at the decor it is definately a place that I would recommend for a break to Chester and one that I would return to.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollington
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#10 of 44 in Chester

Been to Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!