“Great potential, but owner lets it down”
Review of Brown Sugar

Brown Sugar
Lincolnshire
“Great potential, but owner lets it down”
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

This coffee shop is perfectly situated in the little village of Long Stratton, just south west of Norwich. There is ample free parking and the decor is contemporary and tasteful. The coffee menu is excellent and professional in what it offers. I have visited this establishment twice in the past 6 months as my husband is working nearby on business. My first visit was in November and I ordered a cappuccino, which was excellent. On my table there was a card offering a warm mince pie with brandy cream .... very tempting. When I asked to partake, the owner gruffly informed me that he has sold out. Understandable, but his attitude bothered me. There was little sense of apology and I got the feeling that he was annoyed by my request. A courteous apology and the removal of the card from each of the tables would have been good - the offer of an alternative would have been even better!
My second visit was with my husband - at 3:30pm on a Saturday afternoon. The sign on the door said that the coffee shop was open until 4:30pm .... plenty of time for a good cup of coffee and maybe even a slice of cake. We entered (please be aware that there are stairs leading down to the coffee shop) and there was only one other customer, sitting in the comfy leather sofa area ..... we were greeted curtly by the owner who informed is that the shop was closing. He then proceeded to tell the customer on the sofa that he had to leave too! This guy was not impressed!
I am guessing that in the current economic climate, business is tough at the moment .... but the owner of this establishment clearly does not need his customers! My advice to him would be to listen to the needs of his customers, stay open for the advertised hours and don't turn people away or out of his shop! This appalling approach to business in the hospitality trade will be his downfall.
It is a shame .... as this place has such potential.

7 Thank Lyn C

Harleston, United Kingdom
“Great coffee”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Definitely the best coffee in Long Stratton -by a long way! The atmosphere is always comfortable and relaxed. Love the continental feel of decor and service. An authentic establishment.

• Visited November 2012