“Nice food, shame about the service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Brown Sugar

Brown Sugar
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Nice food, shame about the service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

We went for a quick(!) lunch. We asked if there was a table for two - and we could see a table with an empty chair and clear. The owners said, off-handedly, "No". We looked anyway, and there was an uncleared table for four, and a cleared one with just one chair. We decided to take the uncleared one. I went back, and said "there is one but it needs clearing." His response? "That'll take 15-20 minutes." We ordered anyway (I am on insulin and needed to eat); after paying - in advance - he said, again in an offhand voice,"You'll have to wait 15-20 minutes, we're busy." I responded, "Surely we can have our drinks a bit sooner than that?" Response,"We only serve in the order people come in."

Despite his coming into the dining area several times, not once did he remove any dirty china or cutlery. When the people next to us left,we cleared our table onto the next one; our table was still dirty though.

Our drinks took about 15 minutes to come - and one was only a glass of orange juice, no preparation. The meal was finally delivered by his wife after 42 minutes - and placed on a still dirty table. We saw that another couple also had to eat off a dirty table - the owner asked them if they wouldn't like to move to a clean one (the only clean one being very cramped), and they said,"No, we want this one."

The meal was very nice, and well-presented; but the attitude of the owner was quite unacceptable. We will not go there again - and we eat out in the Long Stratton area every week, so he has lost a lot of repeat business.

Why the resistance to clearing the tables? It takes no more than 30 seconds to clear and wipe a table, so why not do it? Why not take some dirty crockery back after delivering drinks? And why so offhand and confrontational to his customers?

Quite honestly, this guy does not deserve to stay in business, on this showing. A shame, it could be very nice and congenial, and convenient, since we and many others shop at the Co-op across the car park.

• Visited June 2013
6 Thank Flatlander1945

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Grumpy and greedy!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

This could be a wonderful place for coffee in Long Stratton, but the owners attitude and greed will be his downfall!
I ordered almost £25 worth of food and a coffee to drink while we waited. Needless to say we had to wait over half an hour for simple baked potatoes! The owner was gruff and discourteous and gave the impression his customers were just an inconvenience.
When my coffee arrived, no milk came with it. Thinking this was a simple oversight, I went to the counter and asked for some, only to be asked for 30p extra!
After explaining I only wanted a drop for my coffee, he said curtly, "30p extra for a white coffee."
I could not beleive it! I only have a little drop in my coffee - about 2tsp, and did not take kindly to having to pay 30p for it!
Of all the coffee shops I have been to throughout the country - and I have been to many - NEVER have I had to pay more for a drop of milk to put in my coffee!!
I will NEVER go back there again - it was a horrible experience!!

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank Noodlenoo123
Lincolnshire
“Great potential, but owner lets it down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

This coffee shop is perfectly situated in the little village of Long Stratton, just south west of Norwich. There is ample free parking and the decor is contemporary and tasteful. The coffee menu is excellent and professional in what it offers. I have visited this establishment twice in the past 6 months as my husband is working nearby on business. My first visit was in November and I ordered a cappuccino, which was excellent. On my table there was a card offering a warm mince pie with brandy cream .... very tempting. When I asked to partake, the owner gruffly informed me that he has sold out. Understandable, but his attitude bothered me. There was little sense of apology and I got the feeling that he was annoyed by my request. A courteous apology and the removal of the card from each of the tables would have been good - the offer of an alternative would have been even better!
My second visit was with my husband - at 3:30pm on a Saturday afternoon. The sign on the door said that the coffee shop was open until 4:30pm .... plenty of time for a good cup of coffee and maybe even a slice of cake. We entered (please be aware that there are stairs leading down to the coffee shop) and there was only one other customer, sitting in the comfy leather sofa area ..... we were greeted curtly by the owner who informed is that the shop was closing. He then proceeded to tell the customer on the sofa that he had to leave too! This guy was not impressed!
I am guessing that in the current economic climate, business is tough at the moment .... but the owner of this establishment clearly does not need his customers! My advice to him would be to listen to the needs of his customers, stay open for the advertised hours and don't turn people away or out of his shop! This appalling approach to business in the hospitality trade will be his downfall.
It is a shame .... as this place has such potential.

7 Thank Lyn C
Harleston, United Kingdom
“Great coffee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

Definitely the best coffee in Long Stratton -by a long way! The atmosphere is always comfortable and relaxed. Love the continental feel of decor and service. An authentic establishment.

• Visited November 2012