“Hmmmm! Not sure about this one”
Review of The Five Bells Pub

The Five Bells Pub
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Wrentham
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My husband fancied trying this pub for a meal, I had been here before for lunch, and very nice too. My husband chose gammon and I went for beef stroganoff, we had artisan bread and oil while we waited, one of the breads was very strange, it had a very unusual smell and taste we didn't like it at all, I asked the barman what sort it was he said he ask the chef, the reply was seeded! I could see it was some type of seeds but I'm sure it must have been called something else they couldn't have known.
Mains then arrived my husbands gammon looked and tasted lovely with a pineapple fritter, very tasty. My stroganoff looked just as tasty with rice and cabbage, but unfortunately the tastiest items were the rice and cabbage, the beef was tuff and the sauce was tasteless. Such a shame I was so looking forward to it.

2  Thank Chrissyrose

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I came here for my birthday meal with several friends and family. Didn't feel that the staff were very friendly towards us (I am local too) not the usual friendly reception from a suffolk country pub.

Drinks were over priced, £5 for a large glass of Rosé!

The food was ok, but again I feel overpriced for what we had. Also there was only one vegetarian option for the vegetarian in my party!

Very dissatisfied and disappointed - haven't been back and don't think I'll bother! Shame really as it's such a nice pub. The staff, service and menu let it down!

2  Thank Curlywurlybirdy
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Booked for my mothers birthday. As we had eaten here on a couple of Sundays and found the food fine,.I thought it would be a good place to go. So wrong. As previous reviewer the turkey was awful the potatoes reheated, plus the sausage tasted off. Two of the party had chips which looked as if they had been left in the fryer a couple of days. On the plus side the grilled plaice and new potatoes were fine. We didn't stay for desert. When asked if we had enjoyed are meal I had to be honest and said no.

2  Thank Samontom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Had a meal in a party of ten last year and I tough the food was bad but some in the party really enjoyed it so maybe I am fussy.
Went last week and decided to have the roast Turkey on the specials board.
The two roast potatoes were hiding under the slab of turkey - it was too thick to enjoy, more the size of a pork chop. I think the potatoes were re-heated from the day before, they were spongy. I had a piece of bone in my turkey, i told the waiter who said ok, not sure if he told the chef but if he did the chef didn't seem that bothered as he didn't come out to appologise.
On the plus side, it has a lovely log fire.

3  Thank Purplecarrots
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I'm amazed by some of the bile this pub/restaurant has attracted as I've been twice and it's been good each time. I notice that some are complaining about the prices of spirits and wines: they are always overpriced in Adnams pubs in my experience.
I've eaten at lunchtime and a Saturday night and the food was good as was the service. The restaurant is a bit bland, but the bar is very nice often with a big open fire. I'd go again.