“Great stay, quiet, clean and great food!”

Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Reviewed 22 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for three days with work. I had a lovely large, exceptionally clean, very quiet room. I ate in the restaurant which was great but a little pricey, the bar is comfy and friendly and the staff was really friendly. I had a lovely 30minute spa treatment which was well priced and very relaxing. The spa is great, gym really large and well equipped, and the surrounding gardens delightful. Overall a great place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank BatgirlHalstead

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Stayed there for my sister wedding at the weekend. The staff work really hard to help but the bar was sometimes unmanned and when it was manned the line was massive only to be told that some of the pumps were not working, warm beer and soft drinks. The guys working behind the bar made it clear that they were always informing the managers of the problems which occur on a few weddings in the past and really tried hard to help.

Food was ok, rooms ok but this place needs a good re-think from who ever is in charge. rooms look dated, key for the door had the number selotaped on it in felt tip pen. Just silly things that let it down a bit. attention to detail could be allot better for what is really a nice little hotel.

Not a

1  Thank phillymorris
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Chose this hotel on the basis of its restaurant and sadly it did not deliver!

The restaurant has been awarded two rosettes by the AA which I had taken to be some indication of quality but I shall now go and find out how and on what criteria these rosettes are awarded.

The starters to be fair were acceptable but the main courses were, to say the least disappointing. It also appears that the kitchen has a bit of an issue with temperature as all the food served was just (but only just) warm.

The hotel itself was lovely and Dave who worked in the bar was delightful but on the basis of the restaurant we shall not be returning.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Volante1
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Stayed here earlier on business this month. Sat nav got me there without any issues and there's plenty of free parking at the hotel. Check in process was efficient and the room was clean and spacious. All the staff that i encountered were friendly and helpful.

Had intended to visit the restaurant but was warned that a party of 30 were booked in and that the service might be slower than I would like. Decided to eat in the bar - food arrived quickly and no complains about the quality of the food.

I though the bar prices were a bit steep compared to other hotels in the area but not a big deal giev nthat I was only there for one night.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Had a bit of difficulty finding hotel initially which is much further out from Chester than I had envisaged. Check- in and room very acceptable. Breakfast in hotel, as I have found in all Macdonald hotels, was excellent and dinner in the Aiden Byrne British Grill was a bit different. Excellent cuisine but a bit over elaborate and smallish portions - very pricey for what you get.
My wife had turbot, which was one of the day's specials, one evening and the portion was so small you would not have given it as a starter. Again, a lot of the food was presented in small glass pots on slate or wooden boards - what is that all about! I thought I was an experienced diner but I was struggling to cope with the debris. It just goes to show that T.V. chefs are all about them and not about the customer.
The spa was excellent and also the leisure facilities. We will be back - i only hope if Mr Byrne is still there that he becomes a bit more food conscious and less of a showman.

Room Tip: We were in Room 228 at the very far end of the corridor. Great outlook and very quiet.
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I have just returned with my sister from a one night spa break at Craxton Wood, we stayed in room 215 an executive suite which was clean and comfortable with good amenities and nice extra touches including water and fruit. The beds were comfy and the bathroom looked quite new. The spa treatments were amoung the best Ive ever had, we both had a facial and back massage as part of our package with lovely Decleor products we also added Hopi ear candles and deluxe pedicure, I can definately recommend the pedicure I have beautiful toes and cant stop looking at them. We used the gym which had excellent equipment and the pool which was a decent size with steam room and sauna, could do with an revamp but Ive seen worse. the coffee area in the leisure centre was a nice touch with a lovely outside seating area. The evening meal was excellent with good service the waiter was very attentive, comfortable chairs and a good menu I especially liked the sticky toffee pudding. Breakfast choice was excellent especially the black pudding and a good selection on the buffet table , again good speedy friendly service. I will definately stay here again as I think it was good value for money and a beautiful location.

Room Tip: Worth paying eztra for an executive room on the first floor
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PJ1960
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed at Craxton Hall weekend 5/6th May. Check in was fast and efficient and we were allocated a room on the ground floor. Upon entry the room had a musty smell. Back to reception and they changed our room to the upper floor without any fuss.

The room was spacious and clean. The tv is a bit of a throwback, being the old fashioned box type. No flat screens for this hotel. The bed was large and very comfortable.

We spent the rest of the day in Chester, having got a train from a nearby station (Capenhurst from memory). They run twice an hour 17 and 47 minutes past the hour.

We had dinner in the restaurant in the evening, which was extremely disappointing. How hard is it to cook a steak and a burger? One was overcooked, the other undercooked. They did replace the meals, though the person in charge of the restaurant seemed to want to tell me I was wrong and the steak was perfectly cooked. Nice!

The restaurant is close to the function room, with a door between the two. This should be locked, and prevent regular blasts of Abba etc when the door is opened.

Breakfast was excellent, with a good choice.

We would return to the hotel, but find somewhere else to eat in the evening.

2  Thank macdan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Inglewood Manor
#1 of 1 in Thornton Hough
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#11 of 45 in Chester

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!