“certainly not my first choice ...”

Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had been staying here a couple of times because of the proximity to Capenhurst. But in fact I'm trying to avoid to stay at the property:

- the food is average, but very expensive
- the rooms are quite old, not very clean and badly maintained (a couple of weeks ago I felt a sharp pain when walking bare footed on the carpet)
- beds are terrible uncomfortable
- internet is very, very slow (usually unusable)
- none/weak mobile phone reception in the property

Be careful they don't accommodate you in some the oldest rooms of the property, which are simple unacceptable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Philipp K
MK1NG, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Philip,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is disappointing to read you were not happy with your stay and I would like to address some of your points raised. I am glad to be able to say we are currently refurbishing several rooms and replaced several beds.
We had our internet updated to icloud in October and this is complimentery across the whole of the hotel. Maybe during our upgrade and changeover there may have been a problem with the speed of the internet. I can only apologise if this was the case.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
kind regards,

Mark King

Write a ReviewReviews (1,931)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just had a very nice weekend at the Craxton Wood Hotel, friendly efficient and helpful staff good food. Rooms spacious and very clean, food very good. Handy for trip into Chester and Liverpool.
Easy to get to from the M56.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Derek,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is great to read you had a good time and enjoyed the food and the hospitality. I will share with the team your comments and I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
kind regards,
General Manager.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

The room was large but very outdated. For a restaurant that has awards I was very disappointed with the food , my wife is vegan and had 1 choice provided to her on the whole menu and that wasn't very good. The staff hardly smiled at all. Not worth the money.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MK1NG, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Huw,
Thank you for taking the time to place a review. I was disappointed to read of your expereince and surprised as we normally have fantastic feedback on the team and their customer service. I will share your comments with the Chef in order for us to offer more choice in the future. We are happy to cater for any request if we can even if not on the menu.

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at MacDonald Craxton Manor for a business trip. The room was spacious and clean and very comfortable. Bathroom was also clean and large. Breakfast was very good and promptly served. Dinner only ok. Free Wifi service available from TheCloud.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mexic07

Dear Mexic07, Thank you for taking the time to write your review it is very much appreciated. I will of course share your comments with the team. It is great to see you used our newly upgraded complimentary wifi. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We spent a couple of days at Craxton Wood last week, and had a lovely time. the hotel is relaxed and friendly but also professional and efficient. Our room was clean and tidy, however we did have problems with a leaky shower, and a blocked plug by the time you finished showering you were standing in two inches of water (in the bath)! We used the spa facilities and found them to be good, the swimming pool was well managed with children in one side and adults in the other. I had a back massage which I would thoroughly recommend, it was lovely. The only downside to the whole break was the breakfast, having asked for poached egg and 'crispy' bacon on day one I received cold poached egg and not crisp bacon as I requested and on day two I ordered a boiled egg, my partner had a full English and we waited in excess of 40 minutes for this, and when it arrived my egg definitely wasn't 'softly' boiled. This wait did mean that packing and checking out was a bit rushed but overall we enjoyed our break and would return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne R

Dear Anne R,

Thank you for your review and your kind words about the friendly service provided by all. I am sorry to read about your breakfast experience as we pride ourselves in our service and offering especially at breakfast. It is great to read you enjoyed your pampering in the spa.
I will pass on your comments to all concerned. I look forward to welcoming you back again

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Kay returned from a two night stay with my husband and little girl. We stayed with Tesco vouchers and we extremely pleased with the hotel. The room was great, just what we needed. The breakfast was fantastic. I would like to mention that the staff were all extremely helpful and pleasant. I would like to say that Mario, the restaurant manager was amazing! He even had the high chair ready at our table waiting for us on our second morning. He was extremely accommodating. The location is the perfect location for Cheshire Oaks and Chester.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank KTLou4

Dear KT Lou, thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is great to read about your FANTASTIC experience and I will share your comments with the team. It is great feedback about Mario and his team. We are a perfect location to relax but in easy reach of Liverpool or Chester.
We look forward to your return.

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We planned a couple of days to break our journey from South Wales to the north of Scotland. A bit surprised to find there was a big wedding on on a Monday,we were equally pleased that the layout of the rooms/function suite meant that we did not hear a thing and had a very peaceful time. Lovely location,usual standard of room of Macdonald,excellent breakfast and very helpful/friendly staff in all departments.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Alan, Thank you for your kind words. i am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your comments to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Mark King

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Inglewood Manor
#1 of 1 in Thornton Hough
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!