“ORGANISATION POOR!!!”

Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I booked a mid week spa break for my partner and myself 22nd January 14, the break included full use of the spa facilities, complimentary robe and slippers, hot chocolate and chocolate brownie on arrival, a 30 minute back massage, 3 course meal and breakfast. We were advised we could not book into our room until 3pm but would have full use of the spa facilities from 9am. We arrived around 12pm to use the spa facilities, on arrival we were not offered our hot chocolate and brownie. We were handed a towel but no robe and slippers? I requested our robe and slippers as I advised the spa receptionist after we had used the spa facilities we didn't want to get dressed and then undressed again for our massage, and could we have them as they were included in our booking. He advised me the beauticians gave out the robes and slippers and there would be no one there until 1pm. However there were 3 ladies already there dressed in there robes??? We never given our robes and slipper which was rather annoying!!!!
After we used the spa facilities we wanted to get a light snack in the spa café, but were told due to staff shortages we would have to purchase these in the hotel. We did eventually get our hot chocolate and brownie, after our massage but we still had to ask for it.
Apart from that we had a lovely time, the spa facilities, the pool, steam room and Jacuzzi are great. There was a lady taking aqua aerobics who invited us to join in, we didn't....... but she was lovely and seemed full of fun!!!! The beautician's we gave us our back massage were lovely and our massage were wonderful. The hotel was lovely, clean and comfortable, the meal was delicious and the staff were lovely, friendly and made us feel at home.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
MK1NG, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Sarah,

Great to read of your experience at the SPA. brilliant feedback for me to review with the team on what we did well with areas for improvement. I am glad to read you had a good experience and enjoyed the treatments and the facilities.
I will share your comments with the team to improve the areas highlighted and look at our welcome and sense of arrival.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to you returning shortly.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

6 of us stayed for 2 nights on a DB&B break. The food was splendid, the evening dinner being exceptional. The staff couldn't be kinder, our rooms were spacious, fresh milk delivered as required, a lovely touch. The stay was for one of our party for her 70th birthday & the staff pulled out all the stops for us. On the strength of this stay we are going to book again very soon. Could not recommend it more highly!

Room Tip: All 3 rooms were excellent, no reason to suppose this was exceptional.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your review and taking the time to give me your feedback. Lovely feedback on our award winning two rosette restaurant. I will share your feedback with the team who will be thrilled with your comments.

Please let us know when you plan to return and we will tka ecare of every detail for you

Reviewed 26 January 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Craxton Wood overnight and made use of the spa facilities as well as just relaxing.

I had originally booked for the end of November but due to illness we asked to rearrange explaining the situation and they kindly moved us to the end of January on the same offer that I had booked. On arrival at the hotel the receptionist was very professional and thorough and we were given the keys to our room.

The rooms are well thought out with complimentary toiletries in the bathroom, coffee/tea/biscuits and water in the bedroom. We took advantage of requesting extra milk as you just get a couple of the standard pots, and this arrived promptly. Room had double bed, side tables, side lamps, settee, coffee table, dressing table and 2 chairs. Very clean and no problem with hot water.

Areas for improvement in room for me would be better lighting especially at the dressing table, and it would be nice not to have one of the in-built hairdryers that you have to constantly hold to work. They aren't very good and a 4 star hotel should really have something better.

In the spa my partner made use of the gym and said it was very well equipped, although quite cold so you needed to get moving! Reasonable sized swimming pool, sauna good, but steam room was broken. Not massive changing rooms so timing is key as was busy when I went in, but they did also have about 3 cubicles. Small cafe in the spa area, and nice comfy seating area.

We had booked massages so experienced the spa and the rooms and treatments were great.

The dinner was plentiful and the restaurant staff very friendly. One point here for us is that I don't like to have someone stand over me whilst we are discussing which wine to have, and I think the foreign waiter did finally get the message.

Breakfast was great and the blond waitress (sorry don't know her name - everton supporter!) was very friendly and we had some great banter with her. Good selection of cereals, fruit, ham/cheese, pastries, etc and the cooked breakfast was excellent. The staff made sure you had enough coffee and toast.

Overall another excellent stay. It is evident to us that the Macdonald chain have a high customer service standard which is consistent through the hotels we have stayed in. We noticed yet again that everyone talks to you, and staff stop when you approach and wait for you to pass before continuing.

In terms of spa facilities this doesn't have the same variety as other Macdonald hotels such as The Portal and Hill Valley, so if going for a spa weekend I would just check that this fits what you are looking for.

I would once again like to thank Chris at reception for changing our booking due to my partners illness as I was told when I originally booked that it was non-transferrable. Common sense prevailed and I thank you for this.

1  Thank Suesreview

Dear Sue,

Thank you for your review and your kind words on Chris at reception. I will pass on your comments to him and the rest of the team. It is good to read of your experience in the spa. I can gladly inform you tha the steam room is all up and running.

It is great to read that our resident Everton supporter supplied the banter and customer service and you enjoyed your breakfast experience.

I will look at your point raised at lighting in the bedrooms and see what improvements we can make.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back

Yours sincerely

General Manger

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed for a one night spa break as a package. Very nice hotel . Bedrooms spacious with fresh milk and ice delivered to your room as needed - lovely touch . Staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. The breakfast and dinner were lovely. Well presented food which was freshly cooked with quality ingredients. Had two spa treatments included which were very relaxing. Treatments need to be booked in advance before your stay. Nice swimming pool, but could do with more seating. A little disappointed as there was no Jacuzzi, as now most spas seem to have them.

1  Thank sue796

Dear Sue,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel and your experience at our spa.
It is great to read about the hospitality you received and the customer service. Great feedback on the restaurant and the food in our award winning restaurant.

We are currently working on plans for the extension of our spa facilities - exciting times ahead.
I look forward to sharing our plans shortly

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed for one night on 31st December for the hotel's New Year's Eve Dinner and Ball with a group of friends and family. I genuinely can't fault anything, from the venue to the staff to the rooms - but the thing that impressed us most of all was the food. Having found mass-catered events to be a bit hit-and-miss in the past, we weren't expecting too much. But all of the courses were absolutely perfect and every dish tasted as though it had been prepared for you alone.
Our room was not one of the refurbished ones, but was still very pleasant - not to mention enormous - and the hotel's facilities were great. The staff on the front desk were lovely and friendly, even on a very busy night, and the breakfast was good. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Bea,

Thank you for your review. It is great to read you had an excellent stay over New Year and the food surpassed your expectations. The team will take pride in your feedback which I will share especially the reception team.

See you next year if not sooner.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We got married at this hotel in May 13. The staff are absolutely fantastic especially the wedding coordinator Karen. The Craxton Suite is spacious and bright with a large dance floor. The food was excellent and we have received lots of compliments from our wedding guests. Would highly recommend getting married at this hotel. The wedding coordinator is very experienced and not pushy - really helped make our day perfect. X

Room Tip: Clean, comfortable and peaceful
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Everything about our Christmas break was wonderful.. From the delicous mulled wine and mince pie on arrival at the hotel, our room over looking the gardens was very spacious and spotlessly clean which was worth the upgrade charge to have the bathrobes, slippers and the gorgeous smelling toiletries. It was the first time we had been away over Christmas and I was concerned that Christmas lunch may not be up to my high standard.. but we were bowled over. The staff are welcoming, professional and polite in all departments of the hotel. We would definately recommend this hotel and hope to visit again during the year.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Inglewood Manor
#1 of 1 in Thornton Hough
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#11 of 45 in Chester

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!