“Great break away” 5 of 5 bubbles

Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
“Great break away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

A fabulous hotel where the service of the staff was superb. Nothing was too much trouble and the food was excellent food. The surroundings are lovely and the swimming pool, sauna and steam room were all well kept and refreshing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Grasmere, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Well having got a nice two night stay at the craxton wood hotel I was all ready for my first visit to the Chester area was not disappointed .the staff were all smiles and friendly and the service was 2nd to none. I wanted to pop into Liverpool for the day as its was only 30 mins up the railway and got some great advice from the morning receptionist. the hotel has some great grounds and is in the middle of the sticks . but there are buses that stop outside the hotel and the local train station (capeinhurst )is only 7 mins by taxis .I have read other reviews about having down stairs rooms .but mine was fine I slept like a log on both nights and injoyed breakfast in bed .as I suffer with a bad back the bath in room 110 was big enough for me to have a nice soak which worked wonders .I can not fault this gem of a hotel and am looking forward to returning one day............thanks again for the stay .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Abergele, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

It would've been a lovely hotel to stay at had I gotten a good night's sleep! The hotel surroundings are quite pretty and the swimming pool is a decent size with a nice relaxing sauna and steam room attached, and the gym was pretty good too. The classic double room we stayed in was a decent size (although the desk was in an odd position so we had to rearrange the furniture) but the hospitality tray was well stocked with a variety of teas and the bed was really comfortable. However, this was sadly spoilt by the creaky floorboards in the room above us, it sounded like there was a herd of elephants up there! I've never known anyone to walk about so much in a bedroom and that's up to them if they want to, but it shouldn't affect my sleep! To be fair, the hotel did give us a discount but it's a shame they weren't a Premier Inn as I would've got a full refund.

The restaurant food was great (although a little pricey) but this was tarnished by the poor service. They'd firstly forgotten our side order and then they didn't offer us any sauces or anything else, which I thought is normal practice. When our side order did arrive after prompting, the waitress said the sauce would be brought by another waiter. This didn't arrive so they had to be reminded again. I wouldn't normally mind but it wasn't busy and it probably wasn't helped by the fact that we had a variety of waiters/waitresses attending to us rather than just one dedicated one. I think service would've been better if this had been the case.

All in all, it was a nice hotel but there are definitely aspects that could be improved.

Room Tip: Don't have a ground floor room!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

nice quiet break with my wife, food ok but small portions and shame about it not having a hot buffet breakfast. room ok but could do with modernizing.
friendly staff and the spa and massage is very good.
probably wouldnt go back again though, but on the whole an ok stay.

South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a two night break and, overall, enjoyed the stay but there was just something I can't quite figure out that means I wouldn't rush to repeat the experience. The setting is quite nice and I'm sure is very nice in summer, the position is handy for Chester and the Wirral, the meals were good quality, breakfasts were a treat (except that my supplementary charged kipper was spoiled by overdone poached eggs), room was comfortable and spacious even at standard grade, service (with one exception) was consistently friendly and welcoming. But somehow the place lacks any warmth or character. Reception is a cramped affair on main corridor between bedroom block and restaurant area. Public rooms are bland and uninviting, decorated in strangely cold blues and greys, seating poorly arranged, same in bar, conservatory poorly lit at night.

But I must mention the head waiter in restaurant. Never impolite but just lacking any sense of pleasing the customer, going through the motions. Both nights he was unable to answer simple questions about the specials on the menu and had to go off to the kitchen. First night we were given a table in a corner right up against a blank wall and marvelled at the range of empty and better positioned tables around us. Second night he led us straight to the same one which I declined. In an almost deserted restaurant he told us we would 'have to' sit on one of the tables against a back wall or pointed to one against the kitchen door. We took the latter as it was a round table and allowed us to sit at an angle to each other, rather than opposite. I would hate to see how this restaurant operates when the pressure is really on.

I was pleased to see two customer service improvements from the last time I had stayed in a Macdonald Hotel. Free wifi and not being charged to use a credit card. I hope these two irritants have now been corrected across all their hotels, as I do like the brand overall.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank ChrisSue5058
wigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

this hotel never seems to be cheap- its a pretty good hotel, but not sure id stay again at full price.

good points; staff friendly, nice bar, lunch snack very good, pool nice,good sauna, rural peaceful location

bad points; got to walk outside to get to pool complex, rooms a touch tired, not near enough chester,

it feels like a business hotel a little, perhaps because its not in a touristy area too. If you can get a good price id definitely recommend

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

The hotel is set in a very nice location with nice garden views from where you eat your breakfast. Our room was ok but could of done with modernising. We had an executive suite and there was supposed to be dressing gowns and slippers. The bed was supposed to be a king size, but it was 2 single beds pushed together. The breakfast was excellent and one of the best I've had.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon W
MK1NG, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Simon,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. It is great to receive feedback from our guests. It is good to read you had an excellent breakfast overlooking the gardens in the conservatory. I am also proud to say we have just completed our recent upgrading of our feature rooms and we are planning our next phase of rooms to be upgraded as our ongoing plan to refurbish our rooms.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back shortly.

Kind regards,

Mark King
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Doubletree by Hilton Chester
The Chester Grosvenor
The Chester Grosvenor
#4 of 45 in Chester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,983 reviews

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!