I stayed with my sister over New Year 2013/2014 and we shared a reasonably spacious twin room. We enjoyed our stay but there were so many little things which let this hotel down.
On the good side, the room itself and the bathroom were a decent size. The breakfast was good, with plenty of variety and the cooked breakfast was always nicely cooked and presented. We took advantage of the spa facilities and had a very nice massage each for a reasonable price, however, the cappuccino I ordered to relax with after my massage was undrinkable. Unfortunately we didn't get chance to use the pool but it did look very inviting.
The New Year's Eve party was good too, including the room decoration, with an absolutely stunning main course. The other courses were average / good and we thought the addition of a glass of bubbly as part of the meal would have made it so much more special.
In contrast we felt the restaurant was sadly lacking; with extremely slow - verging on bad - service from the waitress; and very mediocre food. The head waiter was, however, helpful, friendly and extremely efficient.
Our room, whilst it was tidied every day, was not cleaned properly; sheets were pulled up over the bed roughly, glasses left unwashed and some days bins not emptied. The radiator worked nicely though and we had a nice view of the beautiful gardens.
The bathroom had an empty tissue box which we left on the floor and was just picked up and replaced by the washbasin each day - without the addition of issues! We were also left only very cheap shampoo and shower gel, and even that only on the first day - after that we had to ask each day for more. There was just one small bottle of each, despite our booking being for 2 people in the room. There was no conditioner or body lotion (but we did see much nicer looking toiletries on the cleaners' trolley - sadly on the day we were leaving or we would have asked specifically for these).
Sadly our shower did not produce any hot water. And, yes, we should have reported this on day 1, but surely this is something the cleaners should check regularly. It wasn't too much of an inconvenience as we both enjoy taking baths, but really is a basic necessity in a hotel of this supposed caliber. We did report this as we left and the kind receptionist apologised and said she would immediately have someone look at the problem.
The general cleanliness of the hotel wasn't too bad apart from the blue plastic bags littered along the corridor floors at odd intervals.
One particular annoyance was that on our last full day at the hotel (the day before our check-out date) we had several phone calls from one of the receptionists asking when we were checking out. Twice we had to explain that we were not checking out till the next day. On arrival back at the hotel, the other receptionist was also baffled by this as she looked up our reservation and said that it clearly stated our check-out date as the following day.
All in all it wasn't a bad stay, but not the luxury we'd hoped for on our New Year's treat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestling in 27 acres of Cheshire woodland, you wouldn't believe how close Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa is to the M53, connecting to the M56 and onto Manchester and the rest of the UK. A beautiful secluded hotel and picture perfect wedding venue combined with outstanding comfort and accessibility. Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa blends the best of British tradition with comfort and style to ensure your stay is special. And we're ideally located just a short distance from the attractions of the North West, with the historic city of Chester only ten minutes away. Enjoy cocktails on the terrace before experiencing gourmet dining in the Craxton Wood Grill. Indulge at our Vital Health & Wellbeing Club and Spa - we've just undergone a sensational £1.4million transformation and there's no better place to put your feet up and let our therapists ease away your stresses. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Cancelon, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Craxton Wood Chester
- Hotel Macdonald Craxton Wood
- Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa Ledsham, Cheshire, UK