“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Booked family room. King size bed and two singles in room. Good size. Lovely views from room. Breakfast was well presented and tasty. Only down side for children is the limited amount of time they are allowed to use the swimming pool. So by time we arrived was too late on the evening and only 9 - 11 on morning.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
MK1NG, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Dawn,

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay and enjoyed the breakfast. I am sorry you did not have time to use the pool on the evening of arrival. Hopefully next time you will be able to take full advantage.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Mark King

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Very limited children's access times to the swimming pool. People turned up expecting spa treatments (as part of a weekend spa package) to be told that they were cancelled. Would have had a drink at the spa but £3.50 seems extortionate for a coffee given the setting. Poor.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Busybusybusybusy
Dear Busybusy,

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately due to unforseen illness on the day of two of the four therapists, we were unable to accomodate some of the bookings. Due to the specialised treatment and professional team it is not an area that we could just cover. Although we do not want to disappoint, on this occasion it was unavoidable.
We have set swimming times so all users of the pool can enjoy their time in the pool whether using it for Leisure/Spa or with the Children.
Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to the new spa refurbishment being open in July with a new lounge and 12 treatment rooms.

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

After staying at this hotel we were left unimpressed. The room we were given had substantial noise from the bar, the bathroom was tatty and unclean with thick hair in the plug hole. The shower went from red hot to freezing cold from second to second, after broaching this with the receptionist a young bar tender was sent to our room to investigate the issue, he then approached us in the bar to inform me that the shower was fine and to tell me maybe I'd worked it incorrectly. After assuring him I was more than capable of working a shower he rudely continued to tell me that some people get confused. I felt it highly unprofessional that this barman had been sent to my room to begin with as he clearly was not maintenance and even worse that he was making out I was stupid and persisting in arguing with me over it. Upon visiting the pool and spa the following day we were further disappointed with the shabbiness of this so called four star hotel. There was grime and hairs in the changing room and shower area. The steam room smelt strongly of mold and damp and was scruffily cemented over were tiles had broken off. One side of windows in the pool were white washed out and the other side boasted a view of some sort of work and work men's signs. A trip to butli so came to mind. Disappointed in all.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fizzy166
Dear Fizzy,
Thank you for your review. I was sorry to read of your disappointment with your recent experience at Craxton Wood. I will certainly look at the shower with the maintenance team in repair any faults.
We are currently undergoing refurbishment work to extend the spa, refrubish the lounge and pool area and I apologise for our appearance at this time. We cannot wait to unveil our new Spa and Lounge in June/July. Once agian thank you for your review and I will use it to follow up with your points were we fell short and learn form your experience

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Great bed, and the size of the room was excellent for the little one crawl around in. Breakfast was fantastic, great selection. Reception staff are very nice and professional.

Slightly dated, decor needs to be freshened up. Pet peeve of mine - not all the TV channels worked

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Frank B
Dear Frank,

Thank you for leaving a review and your comments. It was great to read your feedback on your stay and you had a fantastic breakfast. We have recently refurbished 10 rooms and looking to refurbish the rest over the coming year. I will get maintenance to check all the channels on the TV;s.

We look forward to welcoimng you back soon

Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday on a 2 night dinner, bed & breakfast package and were very impressed with every aspect of the hotel! When we first arrived our room wasn't ready so we were ushered through to the bar and given a complimentary drink. Our room was large and very nicely decorated with a lovely view of the gardens and despite the hotel being fairly busy on the first night due to a wedding we did not feel disturbed in the slightest. The spa was lovely - ok a jacuzzi is needed and would make it perfect - but overall it was very pleasant. Our evening meals were delicious, particularly the starters and pudding, and the breakfast was unbelievable - 10/10 - possibly the best hotel breakfast I have ever had due to the choice on offer and the obvious quality of ingredients! As it was my birthday there were chocs and a card in our room on arrival and we were also given a glass of prosecco on the house plus candles in my pudding at dinner one evening which was a lovely touch! We would definitely come back to this hotel as the service was excellent and it is also in a great location close to Chester and the large outlet shopping centre!! Well done and thank you to you all!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MK1NG, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Frannie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is great to read your fantastic feedback and that you had an enjoyable birthday. Also you enjoyed our great breakfast. I hope you did not spend to much at nearby The designer outlet... We hope to welcome you back soon.

Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

My friend and I book a spa day here online. The package included use of the facilities, Bento lunchbox, Green Tea Mud Wrap treatment for 1 hour. We have booked spa breaks at the MacDonalds Hotel in Tarporley and always had a very enjoyable day, but foolishly we decided to have a change. The staff didn't seem to know anything about the Spa day we were booked on. We were told that we couldn't have the Bento lunchbox and asked to pick a salad from the menu instead (the price on the menu was £12.00, which was ridiculous for some lettuce, torn up bread, a few chopped tomatoes and two slices of chicken). When we asked the staff more about the menu option eg. What is a Cobb Salad? We were told 'I don't know' with no offer to find out until we pressed further. We then were collected for our treatment and shown into a double spa room, with the treatment beds next to each other. The assumption was made that my friend and I would be happy to share the room, get stark naked with only a paper thong to wear, be covered in mud and then have to shower it off in front of each other. When we questioned this we were told 'this is the only room available'. We had booked an additional treatment each, I had booked a 1 hour 15 minute facial and my friend a 1 hour facial. When we spoke to the staff about the treatments finishing at different times we were told 'no they don't, they are both 1 hour long'. I was given a 'Modern Facial' when I had booked a 'Visible Brilliance Facial'. When we queried this and showed the staff the emails on our phone with the facial clearly stated as 'Visible Brilliance' the response was 'that's not what we have on our computer! I asked to see the manager and was told they weren't in until Tuesday but she would ring me. surprise, surprise still waiting for the phone call. Very poor, staff apathetic, treatment staff were good but the rest off the issues really spoilt the enjoyment of our annual treat. Tea and coffee included in the price at Tarporley but we had to pay here. After spending £80 on the offer and an additional £50 on treatments I didn't want, I would not recommend at all!!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicola B
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed with my sister over New Year 2013/2014 and we shared a reasonably spacious twin room. We enjoyed our stay but there were so many little things which let this hotel down.

On the good side, the room itself and the bathroom were a decent size. The breakfast was good, with plenty of variety and the cooked breakfast was always nicely cooked and presented. We took advantage of the spa facilities and had a very nice massage each for a reasonable price, however, the cappuccino I ordered to relax with after my massage was undrinkable. Unfortunately we didn't get chance to use the pool but it did look very inviting.

The New Year's Eve party was good too, including the room decoration, with an absolutely stunning main course. The other courses were average / good and we thought the addition of a glass of bubbly as part of the meal would have made it so much more special.

In contrast we felt the restaurant was sadly lacking; with extremely slow - verging on bad - service from the waitress; and very mediocre food. The head waiter was, however, helpful, friendly and extremely efficient.

Our room, whilst it was tidied every day, was not cleaned properly; sheets were pulled up over the bed roughly, glasses left unwashed and some days bins not emptied. The radiator worked nicely though and we had a nice view of the beautiful gardens.

The bathroom had an empty tissue box which we left on the floor and was just picked up and replaced by the washbasin each day - without the addition of issues! We were also left only very cheap shampoo and shower gel, and even that only on the first day - after that we had to ask each day for more. There was just one small bottle of each, despite our booking being for 2 people in the room. There was no conditioner or body lotion (but we did see much nicer looking toiletries on the cleaners' trolley - sadly on the day we were leaving or we would have asked specifically for these).

Sadly our shower did not produce any hot water. And, yes, we should have reported this on day 1, but surely this is something the cleaners should check regularly. It wasn't too much of an inconvenience as we both enjoy taking baths, but really is a basic necessity in a hotel of this supposed caliber. We did report this as we left and the kind receptionist apologised and said she would immediately have someone look at the problem.

The general cleanliness of the hotel wasn't too bad apart from the blue plastic bags littered along the corridor floors at odd intervals.

One particular annoyance was that on our last full day at the hotel (the day before our check-out date) we had several phone calls from one of the receptionists asking when we were checking out. Twice we had to explain that we were not checking out till the next day. On arrival back at the hotel, the other receptionist was also baffled by this as she looked up our reservation and said that it clearly stated our check-out date as the following day.

All in all it wasn't a bad stay, but not the luxury we'd hoped for on our New Year's treat.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear badiabranca,

Thank you for your review. Thank you for your points raised I will use them to improve our service and attention to detail.

It is good to read you enjoyed your stay over New Year and we look forward to welcoming you back to show you our improvements.

Mark King
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
#5 of 44 in Chester
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!