“Beautiful grounds and really lovely food”

Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful grounds and really lovely food”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Spent a weekend at Craxton Wood Hotel and was pleasantly surprised by the size of the rooms and general cleanliness. ..especially after reading some of the reviews here. I absolutely loved it (and I am not one to gush over mediocrity). We had a pleasant stay which was only slightly marred by the very rude young blond lady who served us breakfast on the Saturday morning....may I suggest a refresher course in customer services for the young lady? Apart from that slight annoyance. ..pretty good stay, brilliant food and the gentleman who served us our dinner more than made up for the rudeness in the morning.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank missteeheehee
MK1NG, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Miss Tee Hee Hee
Thank you for leaving us a review. It is great to read you enjoyed the food and the service. I will take your feedback on board and share with the team.

Mark King

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed for two nights on the 11th April 2014. Macdonald Hotel Craxton Wood is a let-down. It lets the customer down by producing food in the restaurant that really one does not expect from a four star Macdonald hotel...burger and chips, and a fish pie that was at best a good sized portion, but was of a poor quality. What is more, the menu produced for the bar area was bizarrely far superior to that of the main dining room, save for the rather questionable mould-looking stuff in the base of the crème brulee. This could have been our now worried levels of suspicion but nevertheless, having eaten the bulk of the item, it didn't appeal. The food standards at other Macdonald group hotels (AA Group of the Year) are considerably better by a country mile.
The hotel lets itself down too. We were housed for some odd reason, in room 115, the disability facilitated room. This in itself is not a problem per se, save for everything being at a far lower level than is usual for able bodied guests. The hotel was not full so I am at a loss to explain this decision however I did not complain. What really disappointed me was the disgustingly filthy shower curtain hanging in the wet-room of our room. To say there was filth and mould on this item would be an understatement.
Overall, my considerably highly held expectations of our stay in this hotel were really poorly managed and my conclusion is that I will never stay there again.
I will go to other Macdonald group hotels as this I do believe and sincerely hope is an exception.

Room Tip: Avoid room 115 unless there is a specific requirement and even then, check the shower curtain!
1 Thank PhilGray
Dear Mr Gray,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Having spoke to you on the evening I explained that we offer both the A la carte and the Market Menu to those guests on Dinner Bed and Breakfast with a £25 allowance on the A La Carte and 3 courses off the Market Menu to each guest. I am sorry that the choice was not to your taste. In your response to me you did not doubt the quality of the food or the service just the offering after your meal on Friday. Any feedback received is actioned as soon as possible and I spoke with the Chef on the Friday evening with your feedback as soon as you spoke to me and returned to you in the bar to acknowledge and discuss your options for the following evening.
I will be certain to follow up room 115 and may I take this opportunity to thank you once again for your review.

Spilsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We have recently returned from a short break in this hotel and we had a lovely time. My husband , daughter and I stayed on the dinner bed and breakfast basis and it was excellent value for money. The hotel is set in large grounds, as you would expect from a country house, but it is still very close to Chester and its attractions.
The entrance is welcoming and we'll presented as are the other public spaces. Our room, no 134, was large with a good sized bathroom with shower over bath.
The food at both dinner time and breakfast was excellent and the service was very good.
We used the pool twice during our stay which my daughter loved.
The checkout was smooth and the lady on reception, Sam, was very helpful and even went to the trouble of locating my husband's watch which he had left in the locker at the pool.
The reasons I could not give this hotel a full 5 out of 5 were:
- dust on some of the surfaces
- mould behind the taps in the bath
- a general feeling of being a bit tired and rundown
This hotel could be, and should be top notch but needs a little bit of TLC to get there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Maxine,

It is great to read your review and you enjoyed your stay with the family and enjoyed the local attractions. I will share your feedback with Sam on reception who will be thrilled with your comments.I am sure we will reach top notch soon after taking and actioning your feedback.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed for a 3 day break for my 60th birthday treat. I was asked on booking if this was a special occasion but ???. The hotel is in a very tranquil location with easy access to the main roads and motorways. We had an Executive king room, which was well equipped, but needed a little bit of sprucing up. The hotel staff were very friendly and obliging .We booked the DBB option for the 3 nights and the breakfasts were excellent. However, the dinner menu was very poor. For a 4 star hotel, I don't think that the menu options were adequate. Things like fish and chips and burger and chips are not what you expect. When you book the DBB option, you only get £25 towards the price of dinner. Some of the main courses were more than the £25 allowance. With soup at £6.50 and a sweet, you are already well out of pocket. I have stayed at lots of Macdonald hotels, and this one was at the lower end of the range only for the restaurant.

Room Tip: room 211 was in a quiet spot with a view over the garden. not sure if it's the best view.
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at The Craxton for a couple of nights. The rooms and service were both great, service staff, especially house maids were great. However, the spa facilities are very basic. There is a basic rectangular pool with a sauna and steam room. There was no jacuzzi or spa pool. However, I did like the addition of exercise classes.
We did not eat there apart from breakfast which was nice. Apart from the hollandaise sauce which had split, I wasn't impressed that the chef decided to send it anyway.
I would go back but wait until the renovations are done.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank KeiraJayne
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights at feb half term. I had read some of the reviews about the staff and so was a little bit unsure of what to expect. But I can tell you the staff are fantastic especially Alison on reception who booked us in on the phone and who was there when we arrived. What a really nice lady and nothing was too much trouble. In fact all the staff were great from the dining room staff to David in the cocktail bar to all the staff at Breakfast. The food was amazing we had the market place menu on an evening which was excellent value and a great choice . We fell in love with the black pudding it was to die for. Our room was amazing we booked a king size room and it was massive especially the bed!! We had great views from our room and it was lovely watching the squirrels running around. We also used the spa facilities which were excellent and staff very pleasant. All in all a great break and will be definitely returing thankyou craxton wood we had a fantastic stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Rhyl, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed one night for our anniversary treat. First impressions of hotel were excellent....long driveway ensures away from traffic noise set back in lovely grounds with squirrels roaming feely and lots of birds too. Very friendly greeting by Chris on reception. Reservations gave us wrong info about room so we were shown to a room which did not match our requirements. However one phone call to Chris on reception and we were moved to another room which was perfect for us with sincere apologies and help moving bags etc. Dinner was served in the conservatory which overlooked gardens which were very well kept. As a delightfulbsurprise we were presented with a glass of sparkling wine each for our anniversary which was a lovely gesture !! Dinner was superbly cooked and they kindly agreed to do something from room service menu rather than evening menu for me. Dessert was fantastic....creme brulee .....gorgeous twist with banana and a cookie ! Waiters were very attentive without seeming intrusive. Breakfast was also delicious however staff excellence was let down with maitre de, gent with European accent, not allowing us a window seat as "they were setting them up for lunch" .At 10am !! This seemed very poor service as there were still people eating in that area even after we had finished our breakfast and the tables weren't even then set for lunch ! Seemed a pointless rule which spoilt my experience of the hotel a little I'm afraid and I think this ruling should be reconsidered for the sake of good customer relations. Pool was lovely perfect temperature and good changing facilities however no Jacuzzi which spoilt the experience a little for us. Perhaps this facility could be considered to add a little more luxury to the leisure complex ?? Requested a late check out however housekeeping not informed and entered room before we checked out !! All in all I would recommend this hotel especially for the staff who mostly were friendly and again mostly went the extra mile to help. Chris on reception A definite assert to the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't bother with feature room not worth extra...executive double better value and overlooking g...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
#5 of 44 in Chester
The Chester Grosvenor
The Chester Grosvenor
#4 of 44 in Chester

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!