“A Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Northern England
“A Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Spent a weekend at this hotel with husband and kids on a 'spring break' offer. The lady on reception was very welcoming and efficient and we were allocated a family room. The room itself was very quiet and overlooked the back of the hotel, it was very spacious and had a double and 2 decent single beds, which is a nice change from all being crammed into a small room with the kids sleeping on a sofa bed. There was a lovely big, well maintained bathroom with toiletries should you be one of those who doesn't bring their own, and plenty of quality towels.

The hotel has a leisure facility so after dumping our bags we headed down there for a swim. The pool wasn't the biggest but apart from a bunch of women on a hen weekend we pretty much had it to ourselves. There are some tired areas but from the plans on display it looks like they are in the process of a revamp.

We ate dinner in the hotel that night as part of our package but found the restaurant and food not to our taste. The menu is dated and expensive, which I would say is pretty typical of hotel dining. The food was distinctly average - tasteless fish and overcooked steak. The only people eating there must be on similar packages as you certainly wouldn't choose the place as a dining destination! Had I been paying the prices quoted on the menu I'd have been very upset!

Breakfast the morning after was a totally different experience. We were seated in the conservatory overlooking the gardens at the back of the hotel. The food offering was great with a huge selection of continental items, breads, cereals, yoghurt, juices and fruit. There was also a good selection of hot items and everything was of excellent quality and perfectly cooked and presented. Staff were very attentive and there was a good supply of tea and coffee and toast.

In all this is a nice hotel, I'd say it attracts lots of weddings and other functions but it was very convenient for trips into Chester, the zoo and of course Cheshire Oaks, which is just down the road.

Recommended if you are looking for a place in the area and a nice change from some of the other chains.

Room Tip: I don't think you'd get a bad one.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
MK1NG, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Travellersonline,

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to read you took full advantage of a spring break and enjoyed the Leisure facilities available at the hotel. We have several family rooms which cater for up to four people sharing with a double and two singles rather than pull out beds. Much more comfy and a sound nights sleep.

We change our A la carte menu quarterly and Market menu daily in the restaurant so disappointed to read of your experience. Although you thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast and the selection available with great service from the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Mark King

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Croydon
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We chose this hotel over the city centre Macdonalds as we felt it would be quieter and it did not disappoint. Our room 228 overlooked the back of the hotel and was a very quiet good sized room. A slight glitch when we arrived as twin beds had been requested but this was quickly sorted out. We were disappointed with the set menu which at 23.95 for 2 courses was a bit overpriced given the choices available which we felt were dishes you would get in an average pub for half the price. The fish pie was excellent but my friend had the risotto and was not impressed. The second night we decided to go for the a la carte menu and it was well worth the extra cost, lovely salmon mousse to start and the lamb was to die for so we felt the extra cost of £6 was well worth it. Breakfast was excellent and the black pudding voted the best ever! All the staff were very pleasant and efficient - we felt the only area for improvement was probably housekeeping which seemed to be carried out by anyone who was available rather than set staff. The beds were not well made - double duvet covers on single duvets, the shower leaked and some of our towels were soaked and not changed but all in all a very nice weekend. £14 each way in a taxi into Chester was probably the same as it would have cost us to park in the City centre hotel so we were very happy with our choice. We did not use the Spa facilities which was due to lack of time, we tried to book a massage late Saturday afternoon but no appointments left but that was our fault for not booking in advance!!

Room Tip: Room 228 overlooking the back with woodland areas was very pleasant and quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Cimscate,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Some great comments on the hotel and the team and it is great to read you enjoyed the food. I will be sure to pick up your points with housekeeping. Lovely to read you took advantage of our location and took a taxi in so you could relax in Chester. Hopefully next time you return you will be able to take advantage of the newly refurbished Spa opening in June.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Spent a weekend at Craxton Wood Hotel and was pleasantly surprised by the size of the rooms and general cleanliness. ..especially after reading some of the reviews here. I absolutely loved it (and I am not one to gush over mediocrity). We had a pleasant stay which was only slightly marred by the very rude young blond lady who served us breakfast on the Saturday morning....may I suggest a refresher course in customer services for the young lady? Apart from that slight annoyance. ..pretty good stay, brilliant food and the gentleman who served us our dinner more than made up for the rudeness in the morning.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank missteeheehee
MK1NG, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Miss Tee Hee Hee
Thank you for leaving us a review. It is great to read you enjoyed the food and the service. I will take your feedback on board and share with the team.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed for two nights on the 11th April 2014. Macdonald Hotel Craxton Wood is a let-down. It lets the customer down by producing food in the restaurant that really one does not expect from a four star Macdonald hotel...burger and chips, and a fish pie that was at best a good sized portion, but was of a poor quality. What is more, the menu produced for the bar area was bizarrely far superior to that of the main dining room, save for the rather questionable mould-looking stuff in the base of the crème brulee. This could have been our now worried levels of suspicion but nevertheless, having eaten the bulk of the item, it didn't appeal. The food standards at other Macdonald group hotels (AA Group of the Year) are considerably better by a country mile.
The hotel lets itself down too. We were housed for some odd reason, in room 115, the disability facilitated room. This in itself is not a problem per se, save for everything being at a far lower level than is usual for able bodied guests. The hotel was not full so I am at a loss to explain this decision however I did not complain. What really disappointed me was the disgustingly filthy shower curtain hanging in the wet-room of our room. To say there was filth and mould on this item would be an understatement.
Overall, my considerably highly held expectations of our stay in this hotel were really poorly managed and my conclusion is that I will never stay there again.
I will go to other Macdonald group hotels as this I do believe and sincerely hope is an exception.

Room Tip: Avoid room 115 unless there is a specific requirement and even then, check the shower curtain!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhilGray
Dear Mr Gray,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Having spoke to you on the evening I explained that we offer both the A la carte and the Market Menu to those guests on Dinner Bed and Breakfast with a £25 allowance on the A La Carte and 3 courses off the Market Menu to each guest. I am sorry that the choice was not to your taste. In your response to me you did not doubt the quality of the food or the service just the offering after your meal on Friday. Any feedback received is actioned as soon as possible and I spoke with the Chef on the Friday evening with your feedback as soon as you spoke to me and returned to you in the bar to acknowledge and discuss your options for the following evening.
I will be certain to follow up room 115 and may I take this opportunity to thank you once again for your review.

Spilsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We have recently returned from a short break in this hotel and we had a lovely time. My husband , daughter and I stayed on the dinner bed and breakfast basis and it was excellent value for money. The hotel is set in large grounds, as you would expect from a country house, but it is still very close to Chester and its attractions.
The entrance is welcoming and we'll presented as are the other public spaces. Our room, no 134, was large with a good sized bathroom with shower over bath.
The food at both dinner time and breakfast was excellent and the service was very good.
We used the pool twice during our stay which my daughter loved.
The checkout was smooth and the lady on reception, Sam, was very helpful and even went to the trouble of locating my husband's watch which he had left in the locker at the pool.
The reasons I could not give this hotel a full 5 out of 5 were:
- dust on some of the surfaces
- mould behind the taps in the bath
- a general feeling of being a bit tired and rundown
This hotel could be, and should be top notch but needs a little bit of TLC to get there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Maxine,

It is great to read your review and you enjoyed your stay with the family and enjoyed the local attractions. I will share your feedback with Sam on reception who will be thrilled with your comments.I am sure we will reach top notch soon after taking and actioning your feedback.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed for a 3 day break for my 60th birthday treat. I was asked on booking if this was a special occasion but ???. The hotel is in a very tranquil location with easy access to the main roads and motorways. We had an Executive king room, which was well equipped, but needed a little bit of sprucing up. The hotel staff were very friendly and obliging .We booked the DBB option for the 3 nights and the breakfasts were excellent. However, the dinner menu was very poor. For a 4 star hotel, I don't think that the menu options were adequate. Things like fish and chips and burger and chips are not what you expect. When you book the DBB option, you only get £25 towards the price of dinner. Some of the main courses were more than the £25 allowance. With soup at £6.50 and a sweet, you are already well out of pocket. I have stayed at lots of Macdonald hotels, and this one was at the lower end of the range only for the restaurant.

Room Tip: room 211 was in a quiet spot with a view over the garden. not sure if it's the best view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at The Craxton for a couple of nights. The rooms and service were both great, service staff, especially house maids were great. However, the spa facilities are very basic. There is a basic rectangular pool with a sauna and steam room. There was no jacuzzi or spa pool. However, I did like the addition of exercise classes.
We did not eat there apart from breakfast which was nice. Apart from the hollandaise sauce which had split, I wasn't impressed that the chef decided to send it anyway.
I would go back but wait until the renovations are done.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank KeiraJayne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Inglewood Manor
#2 of 3 in Ledsham
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!