“Great location for Wales and Chester”

Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights and could not fault the hotel in any way. Room and bathroom were spotless and we had lovely view over the garden. Excellence choice available for breakfast. Ate in the restaurant one evening and food was very good. Excellent service and friendly, helpful staff. Set out in the country, it was always peaceful and quiet, yet convenient for access to Wales and Chester. Only drawback - which I'm not moaning about - it was very hot while we were there and the conservatory was almost unbearable hot late afternoon/early evening. I was more than happy to put up with this!

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view and you shouldn't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MK1NG, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Waltzing Matilda,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review. It is great to read you enjoyed your time here and manged to enjoy our two rosette restaurant. The sun overlooks the lawns and rear gardens most of the day, I agree it is quite warm at the moment but it is good to relax and take in the gardens whilst enjoying a cocktail
we hope to welcome you back shortly and hopefully keep the sunshine.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here on Friday night with my husband. Had a lovely time, found the hotel to be excellent. Staff friendly and helpful. We had booked a package which had a couple of items missing on arrival, staff quickly put this right and made sure we were looked after very well at dinner. Really enjoyed the food and look forward to staying at this hotel again soon and trying out the spa next time!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Denise,
Great to read you enjoyed the food and your stay. I am sorry a few things were missing on your arrival we shall seek to do better. Lovely feedback on the team, I will be sure to share with them.
Please do visit us again soon and take the time to visit out brand new spa. Why not treat yourself to a massage or use of our thermal suite with foot spas, steam and sauna rooms.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Booked afternoon tea for my daughter and myself, only to find there was a large conference for Royal Mail taking place when I arrived in the car park a young man in Macdonald livery banged on my car roof and was very rude to me - I am still waiting for an apology from the general manager 2weeks later, I drove around 3 times a nice car park attendant allocated me a car park space and he was ver pleasant but by this time I was very frustrated and annoyed. We waited half an hour for our food to arrive even though I had pre-booked I think this was possibly down to the conference as the food lacked the usual finesse. I must congratulate the very pleasant bar/waiter who brought us a Fresh pot of tea to have with our food.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LINDA H

Dear Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry I was unaware of the incident with the young man in the car park and please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel and myself for the reception you received. I have shared your comments with the Head Chef who is disapointed that we have not achievied our normally high standards. I am sorry there was a delay on your food. We make all our items from fresh and this sometimes take a little longer to prepare. Never the less I have shared your comments with the team and take your them on board to realise our mistakes and areas to improve our service.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Booked a stay and dine package at the hotel. 1st room extremely dusty and not up to what You would expect. 2nd room fine. Excellent food, superb service from staff at dinner and free drink as it was my birthday! Waiter at breakfast rather slow taking our cooked breakfast order and we sat for quite some time, seemed to be extremely interested in other guests! When breakfast eventually arrived it was fabulous, tasty and not swimming in fat -lovely! As we had such a lovely meal we will try Craxton Wood again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear gwyliauambyth,
Thank you for your comments. Great to read you enjoyed the food in our Craxton Wood Grill Restaurant and you had an enjoyable birthday. We hope to welcome you back soon and you get an oppoprtunity to vist our newly opended Spa.

kind regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This is our 3rd stay at the craxton wood hotel and was great as always. Would like to say how impressed I was with the latest refurbishment to the spa side. Looks very impressive only negatives is still no jacuzzi and sadly no clock to be able to keep an eye on time's, which to us was important as children can only swim between selected times even if you are a guest of the hotel. Staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. Loved the fact we ordered 2 latte but they brought 3 biscuits as they noticed we had a toddler with us. We'll done keep up with the friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mel K
Thank you for your review. Great to read you are regular visitors and you enjoyed the new spa. Good feedback on the team and their customer service. I will share your comments with them.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night at this lovely Macdonald's hotel whilst taking a short break to Chester. Staff were extremely polite & helpful, the spa was a lovely treat, our room was perfect and both our evening meal & breakfast was delicious! Looking forward to our next stay at the Macdonald's a Hotels already!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 1 July 2014

From arrival this tranquil looking place made us feel welcome. From checking in to departure we found the staff very helpful. The rooms are superb, large, with all comforts, chairs, settee, tea making facilities. The TV set up included most channels and even a speaker in the bathroom, although that caught us out at first. The breakfasts were well prepared and tasty.We did not eat at other times. The gardens were attractive and pleasant to walk in. Access from the road was good. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We were in the original building on ground floor. Very quiet with views from the patio onto the gard...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank vanguard917
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Inglewood Manor
#10 of 45 in Chester
Rowton Hall Hotel
Rowton Hall Hotel
#5 of 45 in Chester

Been to Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!