Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
US$127
Premier Inn Wirral (Two Mills) Hotel(Ledsham)(Great Value!)
US$95
PremierInn.com
US$96
US$89
US$84
PremierInn.com
Brook Meadow Hotel(Childer Thornton)
US$73
Woodcote Hotel(Ellesmere Port)
US$98
Travelodge Cheshire Oaks(Ellesmere Port)
US$103
Travelodge
US$101
US$254
Official Site
US$145
US$124
1,981 results
All reviewsthermal suitelovely hotelevening mealblack puddinglovely groundsleisure facilitiesexecutive roomrelaxing breakafternoon teacheshire oakschester zoomy mumfamily roombirthday treatnorth walesenjoyable staya lovely stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We received warm welcome from Sam when checking in at reception. The hotel was very nice and not far from Chester zoo, the reason for our stay. We enjoyed the use of the leisure facilities which were very clean. Katie on reception was really lovely and couldn't do enough for us.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I came here for a murder mystery evening for a hen do. On arival we were greeted by a lovely gentleman who escorted us to a seating area ready for our night to begin. The hotel was lovely inside and out. During the nights events the staff would bring in drinks and our courses many of them were very miserable and didn't look as though they wanted to be there. We had a great night the food was delicious everyone of our 13 enjoyed this very much. We had pre ordered our meals a couple were incorrect but this was sorted quickly although the waitress looked most put out by this and annoyed. When we had ended our murder mystery which was fantastic a must try for everyone, a waiter came and thrust the drinks bill at myself and made it quite apparent he wanted us to pay immediately. As we made our way downstairs as instructed by the staff we found we were not at main reception but in another area where a wedding party was taking place we tried to find the bar to pay the bill, not a problem but as we had paid and was making our way to the foyer we got a lot of abuse from the groom because we were waiting for pur taxi outside the doors to the party and when we explained we were instructed to do so by the staff he carried on screaming at us, so we asked a passing staff member who was one of our servers and he really didn't seem to be interested he had our money and wanted us gone it felt like. We had to walk all the way around the outside of the hall to find the main reception which wasn't very nice for us to have to do. All in all we had a great night and the food was fantastic, but if we were just coming for a meal I think many of us would have been very displeased with the service and attitude of the staff all apart from the gentleman who escorted us into the hotel who smiled all night.

Room Tip: Beautiful food, pretty hotel. Awful service by most staff.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Becky E
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My friend booked a spa day for me and her and we went yesterday. The facilities have been refurbished recently and we were impressed and had a nice swim and a relax before our inclusive treatment. We had a massage and were then told to shower (in the treatment room which was fine) to remove the oils etc, in the shower cubicle there was shampoo and conditioner on the floor but no shower gel. I rinsed the oil as best I could in a not very hot or powerful shower. Unfortunately for me I slipped on the shower tray when I tried to get out of the shower and came crashing down on my thigh. The spa manager gave me an ice pack as my thigh was already bruising and then she left! The young therapists did there best and got me a drink of water but really didn't have the experience to know how to handle the situation. I wasn't offered a cup of tea or in fact anything at all, my friend and I went into the lounge area and she got us a cup of tea, I was badly shaken by what had happened and called my husband to come and drive our car home as I couldn't . We were meant to have a nice afternoon tea after our treatment but I felt so shaken I couldn't eat anything, our treatment was obviously cut short and basically a nice day ruined. Not by my accident (although a rubber mat in shower tray, shower gel and a hand rail would of helped) but by the reaction of the management! My husband came and we went to see the hotel manager who seemed concerned and I thought was going to do the right thing which he thought was to offer another spa day - No Thank You! He called my friend today and he actually asked her what she wanted! I can't believe it what sort of management is running that place I for one will never go again and will tell all my friends to avoid!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Nette2311
A27Roberts, General Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Nette,

Thank you for your email. I was sorry to learn of your slip as you exited the shower after your treatment and I have subsequently folowed this up after we met in the lounge to discuss the matter. As discussed I was sorry that you had hurt yourself and it ruined your day and I offered due to you slippling and unable to enjoy your afternoon tea to complete your spa day a complimentery return visit as a gesture of goodwill. I checked the treatment room after your visit and one of the bottles in the shower was soap and I will follow up on the temperature of the showers and take any necessary action.
I phoned your friend the next day to check on you as you were in distress when leaving the hotel and to inform your friend of my feedback from your comments.
Once again please accept our apologies for your disappointing day.

Kind regards,

Mark King

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My family and I stayed 1 night. After a very long day at Chester Zoo we checked in and found the Receptionist very friendly and helpful. Rooms were good as well.
The enormous let down, which spoilt it for us was the catering team. Food not great at all...over priced for what you get, service very poor as we were forgotten several times and waited for drinks and desserts. I would like to make an official complaint, receptionist in the morning said a questionnaire will be emailed to me!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Flossypip
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed one night at the hotel and had no complaints. The room was clean, the beds extremely comfortable and the breakfast very filling. We also had a spa day with a few treatments and were extremely impressed with both the spa and the staff. The atmosphere throughout was so relaxing and the staff were polite and helpful, but also unobtrusive. We also had lunch in the offer and the food was very tasty. My only (small) negative points:
1. The absence of clocks in the spa, and while I understand that time shouldn't be an issue when relaxing and staff do come to find any guests booked in for treatments, a few small clocks dotted around the place would give guests an idea of the time.
2. The noise of a water aerobics class in the swimming pool carried through into the spa area and it was quite hard to relax when an instructor was shouting instructions to her class very loudly!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
MK1NG, Front Office Manager at Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Jed 777. Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review. So pleased you enjoyed the experience in our newly refurbished spa. I will feed back your valid points to the Spa manager. I do hope to welcome you back soon.