2,090 results
All reviews thermal suite lovely hotel evening meal leisure facilities black pudding lovely grounds executive room relaxing break cheshire oaks afternoon tea my mum chester zoo a lovely stay family room enjoyable stay birthday treat restaurant staff
Reviewed 28 October 2015

We booked this room through a travel agent who was wonderful to work with. However when we got to the hotel, the reservation had been cancelled and, according to the front desk staff member, there were no rooms. Though she was friendly and somewhat helpful, she was terrible overworked and could not spend time to help resolve the problem since she was the only person working the front desk. She had a line of check-outs and check-ins, and no one came to help her. We had to call our travel agent to work out the detail. We left for a while and returned to find out a room became available with the front desk staff person stating that they inadvertently cancelled the reservation. They provided an upgrade; throughout the front desk staff member was friendly and courteous which made up for all the confusion.

This is an older hotel attached to a new section. We had a nice room in the older section overlooking the back yard. The room was reminiscent of hotels from earlier times. It was quiet despite a wedding going on below us. The food was very good at both the dinner we had and breakfast.

Overall, it was a very nice visit to the MacDonald and I would return.

Room Tip: We stayed one night and had a nice, second-floor room. It was quiet and relaxing.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank NCJim397
Reviewed 27 October 2015

I took advantage of a spa break offer to celebrate my birthday with my daughters. We had plenty of time to chat without any interruptions.The staff were friendly and helpful. A good quiet nights sleep.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2015

Surprised to see a notice saying £3 charge for paying by credit card- never encountered this at any hotel all over world. The tray charge for room service was also high at £5 especially as we only wanted a sandwich. Ordered a toasted cheese & tuna melt on ciabatta - what arrived was an almost cold toastie on two thin slices of sliced loaf. Kitchen didn't seem able to cope at breakfast, food trays empty & only replenished when people asked where food was. However overall the hotel was nice & the staff friendly.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2015

This was a truly memorable experience. My wife and I attended a wedding in this hotel and we stayed overnight. The wedding arrangements went without a hitch and the staff were exceedingly efficient. The accommodation is of a very high standard, our room was large and very comfortable, the bathroom was luxurious with a superb range of toiletries. Breakfast was more than adequate, it was buffet style and had a great range of freshly cooked fare for those of us who wanted full English.
The staff on reception were also very efficient, helpful and polite. Unfortunately we did not have time to try the spa but I am sure it would have been a pleasurable experience.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2015

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at Craxton Wood. All staff were friendly and helpful, and the room was lovely with superb views of the lawn and gardens. The hotel setting couldn't be better: it is situated in a very pretty, rural area to which it is really lovely to return after a busy day in the fascinating and vibrant city of historic Chester. The minute you drive back into the grounds you just feel that it is lovely to be there. The only reason I couldn't give a 5 rating for comfort was the bed, and this is because I have a bad back. My husband was very comfortable, but I woke with back pain each morning. However, this is my problem and not a ctriticism of the hotel: the mattress just didn't suit me.

Everything was wonderful, from an efficient and friendly check in to our sad- to- be- leaving check out. We enjoyed our stay tremendously, and can't say enough about the staff at every point in our trip: thank you!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple