“Do not stay here during the Grand National”

Premier Inn Wirral (Two Mills) Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ledsham
Reviewed 7 May 2007

Do not stay here on the weekend of the Grand National (not that you would, of course, as it's in Wirral, NOT Liverpool!) The point I'm making here is exactly the same as the one the glentleman writing the review before mine made - i.e. Premier group use the National as an excuse to hike their prices up that weekend, when, in reality, no one who's staying there is actually going to the races. So come on Premier Lodge - your a travel lodge, not a four star hotel, and some miles outside the city of Liverpool. Stop looking for excuses to rip people off!

I stayed at this hotel for two nights with my partner; we were attending a function in the area. Check in was difficult and the staff were rude.

The room was fine - no complaints there. Clean enough too.

On our first night, we decided just to eat at the hotel restuarant as we were rather tired. When we walked in, we were told that, as we hadn't booked, we would have to wait half an hour for a table. Yet we could see at least six empty tables! When we came back later, the place was still not busy, yet we were ushered to a table right next to a radiator. It was an extremely hot day, and the radiator was on full, so I asked if it could be switced off. They said it couldn't. I waited almost an hour for a plate of what can only be described as pasta swimming in orange coloured oil with some greasy plastic cheese on top. Nice. Then we waited for another half an hour to get served in the bar, as there was only one person working in there (yet the restaurant was overstaffed and empty!!!!???)

This place is fine for a one night -stop- off if you get it for the normal travel lodge rate. Definitely not worth £75 a night though!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank kirsty1901

Reviewed 8 October 2006

I booked a twin room at this establishment for my self and a close (platonic) friend for the night before my Mother in Law's wedding as my wife and his girlfriend were staying with my Mother in Law and there was no space for us. I was slightly perturbed that the hotel had inflated its prices by more than 1/3 because the Grand National was taking place over near Liverpool the next day (nobody I spoke to who was staying at the hotel was attending).

I called to confirm the booking on the morning of my arrival and found that my booking had been changed to a double room; I explained how this was unsuitable and they assured me that the situation was resolved and that I would have a twin room.

Needless to say I arrived at the establishment to find that the change had not been made. In the discussion that followed with reception and a chap claiming to be a manager I was repeatedly accused of lying and told that I had booked a double room.

When I demanded to be shown their paperwork I was shown a printout clearly stating that I had booked a twin room. No apology was made by the manager.

I finally caved in and took the room as I was exhausted by this point having driven several hundred miles after a difficult week at work.

I got to the room to find that it was not clean. The bathroom clearly hadn't been cleaned properly (mold and deep dust in the corners) and there was even an old carrier bag left in one of the drawers! The bathroom did not suggest a singular lapse in cleaning, it showed repeated failure to complete the task properly.

The attached photo of the TV remote says a lot about the state of repair of the facilities. The TV didn't work (only showed teletext)but there were no staff available to rectify this. I was unhelpfully told the next morning that had I reported it to reception they would have resolved it for me. Unfortunately they didn't understand that I couldn't report it as whenever I went down, reception was left unmanned.

I laughed when I found a leaflet in the room offering a money back garuntee of a good nights sleep (what fool offers a garuntee of something that is entirely subjective and intangible). Suffice to say, after being compelled to share a bed with another man (who snored) I did not get a good nights sleep. Consequently I claimed against this garuntee in writing. It took a month to receive a response which dismissed my claim out right. Consequently I responded not to the Hotel but to the head office of the chain and included the photos that I had taken in the room showing the dirt and remote control. I also informed them that I would report them to trading standards if the complaint was not heard and the garuntee at least considered.

Again, several weeks passed before I received another envelope in the post from the hotel manager. No letter was included offering any form of apology, merely a credit card refund slip from their machine.

This absolutely contempt for customer service was incredible.

The food in the co-located steak house style pub was fsimple, acceptable and of reasonable value. My recommendation, eat there if you want a quick cheap meal. Don't stay.

• Stayed: April 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank mudcow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ledsham
Travelodge Cheshire Oaks
Inglewood Manor
Inglewood Manor
#2 of 3 in Ledsham
Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa

Been to Premier Inn Wirral (Two Mills) Hotel? Share your experiences!