“Excellent value”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chipping
Southport
“Excellent value”
Reviewed 8 August 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Gibbon Bridge at the end of June on the occasion of my 81st birthday.It happened to be the hottest weekend of the year yet we found the restaurant and bar well air-conditioned and when we requested a fan for our suite one was immediately forthcoming. Having just stayed at the world famous Carlton Hotel in Cannes and being used to staying at top hotels around the world we were quite happy with our stay at the Gibbon Bridge and found the staff very courteous and helpful and the suite immaculate.
Mr and Mrs Edwin Seal Southport

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
lancashire
Reviewed 29 July 2009

I have recently contacted the Gibbon Birdge to make a reservation for a four night stay on a DB&B basis.The stay was to take place in November to celebrate our silver wedding.The gentleman I spoke to was very nice however,he could not deal with my enquiry and informed me that he would get another member of staff to contact me the following morning at 10am.As this was a suprise gift to my wife I told him would he make sure that they rang me on time so that I could answer the phone and not my wife.He assured me of this and fully understood my concerns.
The next day arrived and 10am came and went with no phone call,I waited all morning and still no phone call.This went on all day and in the evening I decided to book else where.I was very angry and annoyed that my potential booking was completely ignored by the Gibbon Bridge, and at the total lack of communication and proffesionlism shown by the staff on duty at the time.A four night stay in November may not be a big event to them but to my wife and I it was going to be a very special one off occasion,costing a very substancial amount of money that I was prepared to pay to celebrate our silver wedding. I find it hard to understand that an establishment with such a so called high standard and reputation can afford to treat potential customers with dissregard,and needless to say not only will we be staying elsewhere in November the Gibbon Bridge is of our menu for future special occasions.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
southport
Reviewed 8 July 2009

we had hoped to be somewhere hot and sunny for this special occasion, but circumstances did not allow. We arrived full of expectation after having this hotel recommended and having read reviews promising exceptional attention and service, unfortunately we had not been told you had to be a "B list Coronation St celebrity" to qualify for that. We were greeted politely and told where our room was. We were not offered any assisitance with our bags. On the way to our room we detected an unfortunate smell of cat which it turned out was coming from the area outside our room where the owners cat liked to lie. The room was pleasant although very dark. The service in the restaurant that evening was disgarceful. We were one of only three tables there at the time and had to physically get up from the table to find someone to serve us. After our main course the dirty plates remained in front of us so my hisband went to find someone to clear the table and when we asked to speak to the Manager he did not attend the table, we had to go and find him. A member of staff actually laughed when we said how bad the service was and the Manager could hardly mamage a "sorry" which was said with a complete lack of interest. We returned to our room very shocked and diappointed. At breakfast we were served by a young foreign waiter who seemed more efficient. Janet Simpson, the owner of the hotel was conveniently away so we spoke to the Director who again showed a complete lack of interest and whose answer was" Thanks for letting me know but we don't proactively sell at the table. Goodbye". I don't call serving a meal and checking that everything is satisfactory and checking if a guest needs any sauces or even another drink when they have empty glasses, and clearing away dirty plates proactively selling. I call it reasonable service.When we made our booking in March, we had told the lady that it was a special occasion as it was our silver wedding anniversary. We did not expect to be treated like royalty, just to receive a reasonable standard of service.We left completely deflated and sickened by the staffs attitude at the hotel and on arriving home I took the time to write to the owner.Three weeks later I had not had a reply so I sent a copy of the original letter. The reply I received stated " I have spoken to the staff involved and we dont proactively sell at the table. Thank you for your letter!" I am disgusted and would advise anyone thinking of visiting this hotel to only travel there if you are accompanied by a" B list Coronation St celebrity" in which case they will have adequate staff on duty and bow down to your every need!.You have been warned!.

3 Thank tazSouthport
Tarleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We had the pleasure of holding our civil wedding and reception at The Gibbon Bridge Hotel on Sunday 7th June 2009.
The staff throughout the process including Janet the owner had been simply excellent guiding us through the task of arranging our wedding.
Luckily for us on the sunday afternoon the staff had even arranged the weather for us enabling us to have a breathtaking civil ceremony in the garden bandstand.
The wedding breakfast that followed was a delight even the chef's amoungst our guests stated the food was simply stunning and breathtaking, the dessert being one of high points of the meal.
We took the hotel on an exclusive basis which was just a perfect way to be able to spend our special day with our family and friends.
All our guests have commented on how it has been one of the best weddings that they have ever attended.
We would recommend this venue to anyone who is looking for a hotel with stunning surroundings, excellent service and food which you think has been cooked in some of the top fine dining locations in the world.
Thankyou for making it our perfect day!
Mr & Mrs John Iddon.

Middlesbrough
Reviewed 27 May 2009

I stayed at the Gibbon Bridge last October with my partner and enjoyed a wonderfull relaxing weekend. We stayed in the Staple Oak Suite which had its own private garden, log fire and whirlpool bath, big enough for two. Couldnt fault the room, it was a luxurious home from home. The restraunt food was top notch, (if a little on the small side), and fairly reasonably priced.
The gardens were stunning and the whole place had a relaxed feel to it. Would recommend it to anyone wanting a quiet break. However i would hire the staple oak suite in summer as the private garden was wasted due to the British weather.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
North Wales
Reviewed 14 May 2009

There were 43 Members of the Bentley Drivers Club in our party . Some had travelled frorm Surrey and Scotland to enjoy three nights in the lovely Forest of Bowland , The rooms were exceptionally spacious and well appointed , the setting and gardens are delightful but the food and service were the best of all . Everyone in the group commented on how delighted they were with every aspect and some even said that they had not stayed in a better hotel anywhere. Janet and her staff were warm and helpful , nothing was too much trouble . The Committee Members were bombarded with requests to book a return as soon as possible - that says it all !

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank ART300
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2009

We were invited here for the wedding of our close friends' daughter, so when we checked in we were made to feel very welcome. The room was large, comfortable and warm - I turned the radiator off and opened the window to cool the room down. We slept reasonably well - the bed was comfortable, although one of my pillows was like a brick and the other was a thin marshmallow. We didn't have time to try out the whirlpool bath, but the shower was good. The bathroom has recently been refurbished and was sparklingly clean.
The organisation of the wedding was very good - our friends were very happy with the way everything was arranged. The garden is sheltered so the wedding in the Bandstand was not spoiled by the cool and breezy conditions. The meal was delicious, hot and served impeccably. The wine waiters kept our glasses topped up! Bacon butties served at 11pm were a great idea and helped to bring the disco proceedings to a satisfactory close.
The buffet breakfast was good. The staff had left the tables in a similar formation to the wedding breakfast, and all the wedding guests sat around talking... We weren't rushed to check out - it was all very civilised.
We would go back again, certainly to the restaurant. It was a lovely spot for a wedding and a comfortable hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank frandango
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping
Northcote Hotel
Ferrari's Country House Hotel
Foxfields Country Hotel
Foxfields Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington

Been to Gibbon Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!